Missing Images

deke40

Aug 29, 2014
Visit site
As far as I know the gallery will show all images stored on your phone whether it be device or external sd card.

My problem is I have quite a few images showing in my gallery that I can't find on my device storage or sd card. How can that be possible if they show in the gallery.

I had this problem on my Tab4 and used ES File Explorer and transferred images from the gallery to the sd card. When I did this it created duplicates in the gallery. I deleted the old image and it left the new one in the gallery. It's like the images are hidden on the sd card. I have the show hidden files checked.

Would appreciate any help on this matter.

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
The gallery isn't a "location"... it's an app that displays media on the device/sd so you can look at/manage them without having to go to your file manager. The media scanner will scan all media on the device/sd and display them in the gallery app. Nothing is really located in the gallery... they're located somewhere else... either on the device or on the sd.

Naturally, if you create a copy of a media file (even if you do it while in the gallery), the media scanner will pick it up and display both copies in the gallery. Even if you delete the original, the gallery is still going to show the copy you made that's on the sd. It's doing exactly what it should do. Perhaps your misunderstanding of what the gallery does is throwing you off. Either that or I'm misunderstanding the confusion.

deke40

Aug 29, 2014
Visit site
The first sentence of my post explains my problem. Sorry if I'm not making my self clear.
"My problem is I have quite a few images showing in my gallery that I can't find on my device storage or sd card.

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
Might the images be coming from social media or the cloud? Go to the settings menu in gallery and see what you have checked for "Content to display".

deke40

Aug 29, 2014
Visit site
"Device Only" in settings. I'm not on any cloud service or a member of any social media.

I have my all my gallery images now showing on my SD card. Still curious how this situation occurred.

Thanks for the info.

deke40

Aug 29, 2014
Visit site
I come with my hat in my hand.

I did some further checking on my S5 and had the same problem that I had with the Tab4. When
I found images in the Gallery and not on the SD card I used ES File Exployer and did a search then went to properties and got the path of the image. Lo and behold I found them tucked away in sub directories
of other folders.

I feel like a complete dunce for not finding this sooner. I knew they were on there, just couldn't find them.
I'm going to blame it on being 76 and to much acohol in my younger days.

I do apologize for taking up people's time on here.

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
No need to apologize... that's what the forum is for. Sometimes a little nudge in "any" direction makes people discover what's going on. Glad you got it sorted out. Take care!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abdul Ali