Mobile hotspot

AceMilo

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
Hey guys, I just picked up the Bionic today to finally replace my OG Droid. I have a quick question, I always used wireless tether for root, but I noticed the Bionic has a mobile hotspot app already on the phone. Does this cost extra? When I load the app it doesn't say anything about being charged. I'm grandfathered into the unlimited plan if that matters.

Thanks!

ClemC

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
Mobile Hotspot is extra. Since this is a 4G phone it is $30 for unlimited data for the Hotspot. That is on top of your data package.

ChevyNovaLN

Jul 24, 2011
www.ChevyNovaLN.com
only if he has unlimited data, otherwise ites $20/2gb

Correct. Your options are as follows:

1. If you ALREADY have (are grandfathered in due to having the plan prior to July 7th, 2011) the Unlimited Data for $30/month
Mobile Hotspot is an additional $30 for unlimited usage. (4G phones only)

2. If you do NOT have unlimited data (Aka you signed up for a data plan AFTER July 7th, 2011) and are using a Tiered Data plan (2gb / 4gb)
Mobile Hotspot is an additional $20/2gb and I believe there is a 4gb option as well (not sure on price.)

The Hotspot feature will not work without a proper 'Hotspot' feature added onto your monthly bill.

ober51

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
Will PDANet work with this phone? I bought it for my OG Droid and would love to install it on the Bionic when I get it.

ChevyNovaLN

Jul 24, 2011
www.ChevyNovaLN.com
Will PDANet work with this phone? I bought it for my OG Droid and would love to install it on the Bionic when I get it.

I dont see why not. Someone else may chime in here, but my brother called me a bit ago and said how he just turned on the 'tethering' with it plugged into his PC and he can get on the internet. Dont they have to add that feature to your account before you can use it ?!? I just hope he's not getting secretly charged for data if he happens to tether since its letting him do it.

EDIT: He tried it prior to installing PDAnet, which is why i mention it. He was suprised it worked without using PDAnet.

terrapin01

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Correct. Your options are as follows:

1. If you ALREADY have (are grandfathered in due to having the plan prior to July 7th, 2011) the Unlimited Data for $30/month
Mobile Hotspot is an additional $30 for unlimited usage. (4G phones only)

2. If you do NOT have unlimited data (Aka you signed up for a data plan AFTER July 7th, 2011) and are using a Tiered Data plan (2gb / 4gb)
Mobile Hotspot is an additional $20/2gb and I believe there is a 4gb option as well (not sure on price.)

The Hotspot feature will not work without a proper 'Hotspot' feature added onto your monthly bill.

I have tethered with my OG Droid and it's a nice system because it's a prorated charge by day. In other words, you can add or remove the feature anytime you want, and as long as you don't go above 2GB in one billing cycle, they only charge 66 cents/day.

For option 1, can the tethering feature be added or removed at leisure and how are the charges handled in that case?

hypnoticdesigns

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
What if you rooted the phone and added a wireless tether app would you still be charged extra? I have an unlimited internet plan that I've been grandfathered into, and the customer service rep had said that if I used their mobile hot spot that I would be charged 20 bucks a month extra.

cdf3

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
I went ahead and bit the bullet and purchasee the plan while it's still unlimited.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

ChevyNovaLN

Jul 24, 2011
www.ChevyNovaLN.com
I went ahead and bit the bullet and purchasee the plan while it's still unlimited.

Same here. Definately wouldn't have been worth it on 3G but Unlimited 4G hotspot is great. Especially now that my wife has her CM7'd NookColor and i'm on-call more often. Plus plenty of my friends have Ipod Touch devices and can benefit while i'm around.

cdf3

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Same here. Definately wouldn't have been worth it on 3G but Unlimited 4G hotspot is great. Especially now that my wife has her CM7'd NookColor and i'm on-call more often. Plus plenty of my friends have Ipod Touch devices and can benefit while i'm around.

I'm using mine with my Tablet, which I use daily. Cheaper for me to get the WiFi tablet version and tether unlimited, rather than getting a Tablet through Verizon with a data plan.

ChevyNovaLN

Jul 24, 2011
www.ChevyNovaLN.com
I'm using mine with my Tablet, which I use daily. Cheaper for me to get the WiFi tablet version and tether unlimited, rather than getting a Tablet through Verizon with a data plan.

Yep. The only way i'd have a tablet with its own service through VZW would be if I were to only have a 'dumb' phone/plan. You save $$ on the tablet itself (well, sorta.. unless you get 2-year pricing on the tablet), plus the fee difference for data only on a tablet by using the hotspot via your phone.