Mobile provider switching network all the time.

Hyenen

May 7, 2023
Visit site
My mobile provider keeps switching between two networks, independently of turning off roaming and disabling "automatic" roaming in preferences. It doesn't work properly. Are there any third party, good and reliable apps, that resolve these problems? I have Oneplus Nord 2 5G running Android 12.
My mobile provider competes and collaborate with their competitor and sometimes use their external network instead. I have free data in their own network, but only 8gb in the external network. So I consistently have to force the phone to use the native network, all the time. it may work for minutes or hours, but will eventually switch back.

Please help!
It's so frustrating.
I tried about 4 apps that supposedly should work this out, but to no avail.

Regards,
Kai
Norway

Last edited by a moderator:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Is the "external" network considered roaming? If so, there should be an option to turn off Roaming Data in your system settings.

Hyenen

May 7, 2023
Visit site
Yes. Because there's an "R" at the coverage icon and there's a "+"symbol if the provider is using it's own native network.
Most mobile providers in Norway are virtual mobile providers, lending other service providers their network. But this mobile company is a hybrid. They use both network, to make sure you have coverage just about everywhere. I live in city center and coverage is excellent, so I don't know why the phone override my settings and deplete my limited data usage in the external (lended) network. I talked to the mobile provider (customer service) about it. They are aware of it, but there is nothing they can do.
I can upgrade my subscription, then I can use the external network unlimited (1TB), but it will cost me 10 USD more per month.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
So you're saying you don't have an option to turn off Roaming Data in your system settings? Or would that affect all connections, and not just the ones on the external network?

Reactions: Laura Knotek

Hyenen

May 7, 2023
Visit site
Yes
I do have the option that is integrated in Android, but it's overriden after a certain time, weirdly enough.
Forcing network; remove "automatic" and disabling roaming only work for a limited time. We have three true mobile providers with their own network, my provider included. All the other are virtual providers hiring the competitions network. Ice, my cellular provider is the only hybrid, owning it's own network AND hiring s limited data usage from the competitor, to secure best coverage, despite my native network coverage is superior in my lovation.
I'm aware of this problem as others have been telling me the same problem with this operator.
So I'm stuck. I need a third party network forcer that actually work sufficiently, if not flawless. Customer support is reluctant to resolve this, either because of technical issues or they are afraid of "locking" to their native network all the time may affect the coverage in some circumstances, for instance in suburbs..

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Wow, that's an unfortunate situation.:( I'm not sure if there's any viable solution, sorry.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress