Moment Powers off for no reason

elderlawyer99

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
On my second phone which has same problem. Once I take phone off charger it and leave it idle it powers off for no reason. I then need to remove battery from back before I can get it to reboot. Anyone dealt with this? Any fixes? :confused:

Droid_Moment

Jan 15, 2010
Visit site
hmm, mine did that once last night, or maybe the night before, but it restarted. Or I think it was this morning. I can't remember, but the Samsung logo was bigger, almost with the width of the screen in portrait mode, and it it was glowing green around it. I think that it's the restart, but my phone wasn't low on battery.

Thought I'd share my problem, but it obviously looks like it's a tech issue. You contact Sprint about it yet?

prncssmelissa

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
Do either one of you have YouMail installed? That's a known cause of the issue you describe. I had same issues, went through 4phones before figuring out the problem. Haven't had a problem with it randomly lockingup/shutting down since.

Melissa

Posted from my Moment

Droid_Moment

Jan 15, 2010
Visit site
Nope I don't use YouMail, I "use" the default email app for the phone, which I rarely check lol

My phone restarted on me again... but that's because it was dying. I remember when I first had Moment #1, it would restart about 15 times a day, no joke.

elderlawyer99

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Thanks Melissa - I do have youmail on my phone. I will remove same and see if problem persists. If it doesn't work, I fear I may have to give up my android phone as a phone that shuts down for no reason is not functional.

On the issue with youmail do you have a link to any discussion of this issue?

TIA Vinny

prncssmelissa

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
Vinny -- There is a discussion on this forum about the YouMail issue -- apparently YouMail is aware of the issue and are trying to fix it - however, I'm not going back to YouMail - just too much of an issue to go back to something after all the problems I had. I went through 4 phones not realizing it was YouMail (and neither did my Sprint Techs) and could've saved myself the hassel. Alas, it's over now, and my phone is working better than ever.

I don't have the link to the YouMail issue, but I know I commented on it several times, and it's labled "YouMail issue" as I recall.

Good luck - I know my results were immediate. My phone stopped locking up and started running much cooler - mine was running so hot that it would be hot to the touch on both sides of the phone.

elderlawyer99

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Well - I tried to post my problem on youmail's own forums and the moderator refused claiming it was "off topic". I provided the moderator with my opinion of a company that refuses to allow discussion of issues under the guise of claiming it was off topic. I then promptly removed youmail.

I did however like getting texts of voice mails on my cell as I rarely answer same when I am in the office and it was very convenient to use the website to play the messages. Know of any apps that provide similar service without the problems?

Thanks Again! Vinny

elderlawyer99

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
update on suspected youmail issue:

After uninstalling youmail, the issue of my Moment powering off immediately disappeared. Additionally, the battery charge is lasting substantially longer especially just on stand by. Apparently youmail was the culprit!

Given the moderator's refusal to allow me to post the issue on youmail's own forum, leads me to highly suspect that they are well aware of this issue and attempting to hide it from the public.

Thanks again Melissa - vmc

elderlawyer99

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Attention all Moment and Hero users:

Please see e-mail exchange between YouMail and me where they admit they used the droid community as guinea pigs to collect research on their app!

Your claim that YouMail has "never tried to hide this issue" is preposterous given that YouMail's moderator refused to post my issue on YouMail's forum.

This issue is not a minor glitch or inconvenience but made my phone virtually useless. Because of YouMail's intentional material omissions of this issue, I wasted a substantial amount of time with the accompanying frustration trying to determine the cause of my phone to power off for no reason along with the battery draining in a matter of hours. You admit that youmail was and is aware of this problem. YouMail's response to this issue is unethical and unscrupulous. The right thing to do would have been to warn the droid community of the problem up front and to prevent users from going on a wild goose chase to determine the root of the problems caused by installing YouMail.

It appears clear that YouMail made an affirmative decision not to warn users. Why did YouMail not warn users? Well it doesn't take a software engineer to conclude that it was out of fear that users would not download their app. Instead YouMail allowed users to download their app so they could get research on why the problem was occurring. Obviously, no users would have downloaded the app had they know they were unknowingly being used by YouMail to fix a problem and until such time as the problem was resolved, their phones would be worthless. So instead of spending the money to do the research to fix the problem, YouMail used the droid community a guinea pigs for free research! Nice!

I certainly hope that such a strategy backfires and the droid community becomes aware of YouMail's failure to warn users about such a detrimental consequence of installing YouMail and that new droid users avoid going through the horrible experience that I had.

As I am sure YouMail is aware, google talk will obviate the need for YouMail with their offering of free service that is far superior to YouMail's extremely pricey options for talk to text notifications. I will not shed a tear about YouMail's demise.

Regards,

vmc
[/COLOR][/I]
On Mar 6, 2010 10:19 PM, "Irish Kairan" <ikairan@youmail.com> wrote:

Hi Vincent,

We never tried to hide this issue. We only found out when users starting reporting it to us and we immediately started gathering information so we can fix it.

Essentially there was something that the YouMail app was doing that caused the phone to think it needs to stay "awake". This caused the battery charge to last significantly less than it should. The exact same version of the App is running on Android 1.5 (Hero), 1.6 (G1), and 2.x (Droid, etc) and the problem only seems to affect the Hero. Some of the "custom" changes HTC made to Android may have caused the problem.

This should be fixed in version 1.6.22 and it can be installed in this link:
http://www.youmail.com/androidbeta/youmail.apk

We apologize for the inconvenience.

Regards,
Irish

prncssmelissa

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
I still think they're full of crap. The reality is that they don't care about droid users at all - they said NOTHING about the Moment -- and that's where we're having issues. They only care about saving their own tail.

I've got google voice, but I think I screwed up - I used my cell number and didn't get a google voice number, thereby screwing myself, and only did it that way because there were no numbers available in my area - and hadn't been for sometime..

Oh well, you live and learn.

I'm still not going back to YouMail.

Melissa :)

ct602

Apr 15, 2010
Visit site
Hello,

I decided to join the forum after reading about this issue.

I had the same issue with my 1-week-old moment. The battery life on the phone was lasting for 3-5 hours and the phone was having random shutdown issues. In my case, I installed youmail on the phone on the first day of ownership. In addition to youmail, I installed around 20 app’s, so deciphering the culprit app or the possible of having a defective phone would have taken awhile.

After reading this post and following the advice provided by the prncssmelissa in the removal of youmail, the problem has went away.

The phone is now stable and I see an immediate improvement in battery life. Today after removing the youmail app, I am still running on last night charge (over 15 hours with light to moderate use). I am using the factory battery that has been conditioned properly.

In addition, I notice the phone is no longer overheating. As noted in the post, it looks like the youmail app was causing the processor to run a full speed in addition to preventing the phone from going into standby.

I closed my youmail account after reviewing the response. For now, I will use the stock voice mail app.

Big Thanks to Melissa for documenting the issue.

ct602

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
Waste of time

I have had my android for 6 days and it just did the same thing. It was on the charger when it died, out of nowhere. Problem is, is it won't turn back on AT ALL! I have taken the battery out and put it back in, as well as the SIM card. NOTHING! It was almost fully charged and will no longer even recognize being plugged into the charger. WTF? Bullcrap!!! It doesn't even make an attempt at turning on. What a waste....

Steve McHenry

May 3, 2010
Visit site
I have never used youmail, but I still have the same problem with the phone shutting down constantly and having to remove the battery in order to restart.