Moment still relevent ?

Froggy#AC

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Hi all,

My wife and I are new to the smart phone world and I have been doing some research for several different Sprint smart phones. I tend to be leaning toward an android phone and we both prefer a physical keyboard. I am also not really looking to pay $250 for each phone for the Epic or the annoying 4G monthly fee from Sprint. That leaves me always coming back to the moment.

I understand the Moment is an older phone and an end of life type of phone but we are both new to smart phones and this seems like a nice mid range price tagged android phone, especially being on 2.1 now. In your opinion, is it worth buying a Moment now given the lack of Sprint upgrades for the phone in the future beyond 2.1? I have ben reading about rooting and custom OS etc. as well. In your opinion would you only consider a new Moment now only if you were going to root it ? Both my wife and I's upgrade dates are 10/1/10. For reference we would be upgrading from a Rant.

JMusic

Nov 19, 2009
Visit site
Honestly, I would wait for a couple months and get the Epic for $99 (you know it's going to happen). The Moment is a good phone. The Epic is far better.

liquidxit2

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I had a moment and its a great phone. The epic is a lot better but I would still use a moment if I couldn't afford or didnt want to spend the money on an epic. The only draw back I saw with the moment was the issues with wifi teathering and the fact that it wasn't ging to get froyo, evn though its more then capable of running it. I sure hope they cook a 2.2 for it just so I can see what it does for my wifes momeent and my moms spre moment.

The only thing I would say is that there may be phones coming out equivilent to it coming soon (the intercept is a low end phone). But if you need it now the moment is a great choice IMHO.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

Froggy#AC

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the replies.

Honestly, I am not sure I can wait to take the dip into the Android world and two phones in the $250 range, after the mail in rebate, is not in the budget right now. I can get the Moment at $99 each after instant rebates through Radio Shack and that fits my wallet.

I would really be surprised if the Epic went down in price that much. I could expect $199 after rebate but not much less than that.

My wife and I have never even had a smart phone/android phone so anything would be huge and new to us. I just had reservations with buying a phone that was near the end of the line as far as Sprint is concerned. I am sure we would both be happy with the phone on 2.1 for a while and if I ever figure out what kernals, custom roms, and wrapping my head around rooting we could improve the phone beyond that. It is all so confusing to me. I read the posts on the rooting topic and sometimes it looks like a different language :p

cheech73

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site
i think it is, you have a 800 mhz processor, the phone isn't a slouch its quick. a great screen and best of all it has 2.1. 48% of ALL android phones are running 2.1. its quadrant rating or its overall performance rating is identical to the Moto droid with 2.1. sure there are plenty of phones with better specs but the moment is no dinosaur. not to mention if you are one of those guys that are into rooting your phones ( im not ) you can get your quardrant numbers to match the nexis one.

Last edited:

JMusic

Nov 19, 2009
Visit site
I would really be surprised if the Epic went down in price that much. I could expect $199 after rebate but not much less than that.

The Epic is already $199 (check Amazon). It will definitely drop more after it's been out more than a couple weeks.

On the other hand, $99 for the Moment... check Amazon. I don't know if you qualify, but they're selling it for $0.01 with a contract. It doesn't look like there are any rebates involved or anything, they're basically just selling the contract.

iilex

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
Don't lose hope just yet, I was able to snag my epic for 149 at a best buy mobile! They had a grand opening promotion as a kiosk at my local mall; but the point is that although the epic is *negligently* better than the evo, sprint is not getting enough revenue because of their release timing...

at most they were able to grab Verizon converts and evo customer backwash. If 149 can be done legitimately and not 2 weeks after release, I'm sure there will be more incentive to purchase in the coming weeks, months at the latest.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

mouseglider

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
i think it is, you have a 800 mhz processor, the phone isn't a slouch its quick. a great screen and best of all it has 2.1. 48% of ALL android phones are running 2.1. its quadrant rating or its overall performance rating is identical to the Moto droid with 2.1. sure there are plenty of phones with better specs but the moment is no dinosaur. not to mention if you are one of those guys that are into rooting your phones ( im not ) you can get your quardrant numbers to match the nexis one.

I agree with cheech4, I love my Moment - don't forget it will take a while before the Epic gets down to $99. Heck even the Hero is not $99 from Sprint yet. Plus with the Moment there is no $10 per phone surcharge per month - that alone is a great savings!

One other thing, it all depends on how you set your phone up and how to use it properly, you can have the best phone in the world and if set up with garbage apps, it won't operate as nicely as a lower end phone set up properly.

My .02 cents. I will take a finely honed lower end race car than a fancy street car in a track race any day. :D

trinamorgan88

Mar 18, 2010
Visit site
Spend the money and get an EVO or Epic. The Moment is soon to be out of date. Also, it depends on when you can upgrade, if you are a premier customer you can upgrade after one year.

Sent from my SPH-M900 using Tapatalk

cheech73

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site
I agree with cheech4, I love my Moment - don't forget it will take a while before the Epic gets down to $99. Heck even the Hero is not $99 from Sprint yet. Plus with the Moment there is no $10 per phone surcharge per month - that alone is a great savings!

One other thing, it all depends on how you set your phone up and how to use it properly, you can have the best phone in the world and if set up with garbage apps, it won't operate as nicely as a lower end phone set up properly.

My .02 cents. I will take a finely honed lower end race car than a fancy street car in a track race any day. :D
what apps are u running to make ur moment operate nicely. i heard f launcher pro and a task manager, anything else i should look into.

sprintgirl

Apr 25, 2010
forum.ppcgeeks.com
Just a little advice from a girl who works at a Sprint Service and Repair Center...Spring for the EVO! Almost every service and repair customer that comes in has a Moment! This tells me that it has a higher crap-out rate than any other phone. Not to play favorites...but ok playing favorites I have had lots and lots of HTC phones and never had an issue...if I were a betting girl...which I am...my bet would be on an HTC over any other phone any day!

P.S. a store won't discount an EVO and most of them still have waiting lists...almost 4 mos. later...but if you have been a customer for a while and give Sprint a little bit of a hard time they might work with you a little on the price.

trinamorgan88

Mar 18, 2010
Visit site
what apps are u running to make ur moment operate nicely. i heard f launcher pro and a task manager, anything else i should look into.

Taking a automatic Task Manager off my Moment was the best thing I did! I use a program called Android System Info to kill off the ones that don't close, even when they should close. Also use Startup Auditor to stop the ones I don't use to start on boot.

ballroomdru

Dec 2, 2009
Visit site
The moment is still relvant. The new HTC G2 comes out now with the same level of processor the Moment came out with 10 months ago????? Hmmm....

cheech73

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site
Taking a automatic Task Manager off my Moment was the best thing I did! I use a program called Android System Info to kill off the ones that don't close, even when they should close. Also use Startup Auditor to stop the ones I don't use to start on boot.

whats the difference? they both do the same thing killing off task u dont use. i looked up this app it seems like a good app but besides giving info on what my phone is doing is the task manage part of it better than any other task manager.

ps who is the developer? is it electric sheep?

mouseglider

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
I run Helix (I believe it is version 2) for my launcher fully loaded with 7 screens and have almost 100 apps (98) on my phone and all work absolutely perfect together - battery works perfect - I also use a task killer - but you have to know how to set it up properly and what apps you never want killed and what apps you need to keep alive - not just killing what you don't want randomly.

I also use my Moment for FTP and remote Desktop to control other PC's for maintenance. Also running three pop3, one IMAP, and of course one Gmail account and all work flawlessly.

I did have one problem with my GPS, but Sprint replaced my Moment and all is works perfect again!

The secret to a great running Samsung Moment is all in the setup and fine tuning.

I couldn't ask for anything more except for more speed and memory - but that is a never ending quest! :)

Last edited:

trinamorgan88

Mar 18, 2010
Visit site
whats the difference? they both do the same thing killing off task u dont use. i looked up this app it seems like a good app but besides giving info on what my phone is doing is the task manage part of it better than any other task manager.

ps who is the developer? is it electric sheep?

Yes. It is Electric Sheep. I find that I don't have as many times when the screen resets.
Some apps don't automatically close even though you close them. The main one that I notice is Filkie Wallpapers.
It all is the way Android works, I'm sure there are folks here that can be more technical.

Sent from my Samsung Moment using Tapatalk.

Froggy#AC

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Well, despite some of the negatives regarding the Moment I decided to get one anyway. I took it home last Saturday, so I am at one week of ownership so far.

Out of the box the Moment was on 1.5 and I had it updated to the 2.1 DE03 on the same day at the local Sprint repair center. I run my moment stock with the Wifi turned off and have been getting acceptable battery life in my eyes. I take it off of the charger at 7:30 AM and use it moderately throughout the day ( calls, texts, web browsing ) and get home from work around 11:30 PM. The battery level has been in the yellow when I get home, but lasts through the whole day. I had to intentionally overuse it the 1st day to kill it completely before fully charging.

Call me lucky, but I have not had a single data lockup keeping the WIFI turned off. I have not had to reboot the phone once through the 1st week. I am happy with the phone so far. I just updated the phone to the DI06 update today.
Just thought I would report back with my experience through the 1st week.

mouseglider

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
Froggy,

FYI - i keep my GPS and WiFi on all the time and "never" off and I have "almost never" have a problem - all phones glitch out every once in a while.

The phone has almost been perfect, and I use my phone very heavily for many different things and have over a hunderd apps loaded and all work perfectly together from simple to more demanding apps - it has been a fantastic phone at least for me.