More on scrolling (jittery) issues

htcrazy

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
There;s a lot of talk on Reddit now about the scrolling issues. More major reviewers are starting to address the issue such as this recent reviw from, GSM arena. I cut and pasted a couple of pertinent paragraphs from their review below.

"However, the worst part is that the Pixel 8 phones don't even feel great to use in Google's own apps. Scrolling side by side on the Pixel 8 Pro and the aforementioned Nothing Phone (2) in the Google Play Store, the latter was night and day better with a far smoother and consistent scrolling experience. The Pixel 8 Pro, on the other hand, was very jittery with consistent stutters that never went away no matter how many times the app was opened and loaded. In the Google Photos app, the Nothing Phone (2) also loaded image editing features like Magic Eraser faster than the Pixel 8 Pro and the results looked the same on both.

One could dismiss these as teething issues of new phones but after having lived with the Pixel 7 Pro for a year, we beg to disagree. The experience on that device was much the same, where it would routinely get lapped by Snapdragon devices costing a quarter the amount, often in Google's own apps but also in most other Android apps in general.

Gaming performance also wasn't great. The Pixel 8 Pro struggled to maintain 50fps in Genshin Impact at the highest setting when the newest iPhones can hit 120FPS on similar settings, especially with MetalFX image upscaling that looks indistinguishable from native on a phone's screen. There's also no support for ray tracing so if that's something you care about then you are out of luck here."

The link to their full review is here:

GSM Arena Pixel 8 Pro review

And one last quote from their review:

"At this point, Google's decision to stick with the Samsung-manufactured Tensor chips seems inexcusable. The performance simply isn't there, neither in benchmarks but more importantly, in real-world usage. The phones mostly feel fine in use if you don't mind the jittery scrolling but this is simply not the desired experience of flagship devices. The chip also still runs fairly warm most of the time and while we didn't do battery testing here, we aren't expecting great things."

I'm debating returning mine. I really feel cheated guys.

Bkdodger1

Jun 27, 2019
Visit site
I had the P7P and now the P8P and this phone is solid no hiccups anywhere including scrolling...this might be the best Google phone released though it's too early to say till we run it though the paces ...I don't play games on any phones so I can't comment on that part..

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
No issues here. Custom built Google tensor chips helps Google build their AI stuff and also control the software update support for longer as opposed to maybe with snapdragon SOC. Pure performance snapdragon is way ahead and no arguing. But personally it's not a big deal with tensor chips and I'm perfectly happy with the overall performance.

They are not going away from the tensor SOC and if you don't like probably returning is the best option.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
No issues here. Custom built Google tensor chips helps Google build their AI stuff and also control the software update support for longer as opposed to maybe with snapdragon SOC. Pure performance snapdragon is way ahead and no arguing. But personally it's not a big deal with tensor chips and I'm perfectly happy with the overall performance.

They are not going away from the tensor SOC and if you don't like probably returning is the best option.
To be fair, it does depend on the chip. The Tensor in my S21 Ultra was pretty good, but not as capable as the competing Snapdragon. The Tensor in the S22 Ultra was a total mess though.

Reactions: notforhire

YankInDaSouth

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
I'm noticing jittery scrolling here and there but what I'm experiencing isn't a show stopper by my standards. I will say my S23 Ultra definitely feels smoother, even running the latest One UI beta. That being said, the S23 is "well seasoned" at this point and has had several software updates to work on the issues they had.

I think it's safe to say practically all new devices have their issues and aren't released as perfectly running, fine-tuned machines. I think Pixel devices are under much more scrutiny because they are made by the folks that make Android. Admittedly, you'd think they'd have a leg up on the competition but it seems they always have a way of having headline grabbing issues.

I know holding on to a new device hoping issues get resolved is risky, but I have to imagine Google will get the wrinkles ironed out. Question is how long will it take them to push out the fixes?

Reactions: Bkdodger1

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I'm noticing jittery scrolling here and there but what I'm experiencing isn't a show stopper by my standards. I will say my S23 Ultra definitely feels smoother, even running the latest One UI beta. That being said, the S23 is "well seasoned" at this point and has had several software updates to work on the issues they had.

I think it's safe to say practically all new devices have their issues and aren't released as perfectly running, fine-tuned machines. I think Pixel devices are under much more scrutiny because they are made by the folks that make Android. Admittedly, you'd think they'd have a leg up on the competition but it seems they always have a way of having headline grabbing issues.

I know holding on to a new device hoping issues get resolved is risky, but I have to imagine Google will get the wrinkles ironed out. Question is how long will it take them to push out the fixes?
I actually don't think there were any issues with the S23 Ultra... if there were do refresh my memory.

I'm not just Shilling, either. I will go on ad nauseum about how absolutely awful the S22 was at launch Or about how Samsung seem to have completely lost the ability to do anything new and interesting.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Different beast. Chevrolet and Ford are both cars.
Nvidia and AMD are both video cards. Tensor is a heavily modified soc based on the exnos chip. Just as Snapdragon is a heavily modified ARM chip.
Or at least that's what the marketing says. They are all ARM chips. even Apples A17.
Is there actually anything that demonstrates all these fantastic improvements they've made? considering when ported to other platforms, all the things they claim to need custom subprocessors for run as well on competitors hardware.

YankInDaSouth

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
I actually don't think there were any issues with the S23 Ultra... if there were do refresh my memory.

I'm not just Shilling, either. I will go on ad nauseum about how absolutely awful the S22 was at launch Or about how Samsung seem to have completely lost the ability to do anything new and interesting.

There was an issue with WiFi 6 that affected quite a few people.

Reactions: fuzzylumpkin

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
There was an issue with WiFi 6 that affected quite a few people.

You are correct! I do remember that now that you've mentioned it. I actually had the issue myself, so I probably should have remembered it lol It was mildly inconvenient.

Reactions: YankInDaSouth

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
I am getting this too.

Pixel 8 Pro. The scrolling on the Play Store, Battery Settings, Apps Settings and Youtube seem to be extremely janky when scrolling.

I've updated the phone with all the updates including the Play Store update to September update. I've tried factory resetting the phone, but it just goes to these menus and the scrolling is awful.

Came from a Galaxy S23U which had no such issues at all, anywhere across the UI.

Last edited:

bkeaver

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
I am getting this too.

Pixel 8 Pro. The scrolling on the Play Store, Battery Settings, Apps Settings and Youtube seem to be extremely janky when scrolling.

I've updated the phone with all the updates including the Play Store update to September update. I've tried factory resetting the phone, but it just goes to these menus and the scrolling is awful.

Came from a Galaxy S23U which had no such issues at all, anywhere across the UI.
Weird. I just opened and scrolled in all of those apps and didn't experience any stuttering or choppy scrolling.

rvbfan

Jan 17, 2015
Visit site
I got a bit of jankiness for about 10 minutes after I finished setting up. One rebout after updates and it was gone. Smooth as butter since.

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
I have had no Jank at all. It has been perfectly smooth for me. All phones can come with issues. iPhones have tons of problems yet Apple is forgiven it all. But Google is torn to shreds every single time. All the Pixel 2XL.issues and I still have my 6 year old pre-order phone with a perfect screen and zero issues ever still being used by a friend as a daily driver.