More on scrolling (jittery) issues

Ben_70

May 31, 2017
Visit site
I have a little stutter when scrolling down the G feed. Same as my P6pro. Very slight and doesn't bother me at all. Note I did transfer data over from my 6 (did not do a "from scratch" setup)...not sure if that's the cause.

slave

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
How do you know my League of Legends username?

I can't believe I'm the one saying this, but if you are genuinely curious about the issue, you might try being a little nicer. People aren't really going to engage with you for a thorough and informative discussion about an issue they have when you start by attacking them

I member you having an issue where your 6 installed the wrong update, wouldn't have felt very nice if everyone just said "well MINE is fine, so obviously there is no issue!", now would it? .
I don't need help, I am just wondering where all this jitter is. The usual complainers complain about every Pixel. They are not a good source.

As a side note, I finally found a stuttering app! It's Reddit! It doesn't smoothly scroll unless I am on wifi! I actually searched YouTube for the answer and duplicated it, but it is only in Reddit.

It's weird.

• Haha
Reactions: diesel97

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
There;s a lot of talk on Reddit now about the scrolling issues. More major reviewers are starting to address the issue such as this recent reviw from, GSM arena. I cut and pasted a couple of pertinent paragraphs from their review below.

"However, the worst part is that the Pixel 8 phones don't even feel great to use in Google's own apps. Scrolling side by side on the Pixel 8 Pro and the aforementioned Nothing Phone (2) in the Google Play Store, the latter was night and day better with a far smoother and consistent scrolling experience. The Pixel 8 Pro, on the other hand, was very jittery with consistent stutters that never went away no matter how many times the app was opened and loaded. In the Google Photos app, the Nothing Phone (2) also loaded image editing features like Magic Eraser faster than the Pixel 8 Pro and the results looked the same on both.

One could dismiss these as teething issues of new phones but after having lived with the Pixel 7 Pro for a year, we beg to disagree. The experience on that device was much the same, where it would routinely get lapped by Snapdragon devices costing a quarter the amount, often in Google's own apps but also in most other Android apps in general.

Gaming performance also wasn't great. The Pixel 8 Pro struggled to maintain 50fps in Genshin Impact at the highest setting when the newest iPhones can hit 120FPS on similar settings, especially with MetalFX image upscaling that looks indistinguishable from native on a phone's screen. There's also no support for ray tracing so if that's something you care about then you are out of luck here."

The link to their full review is here:

GSM Arena Pixel 8 Pro review

And one last quote from their review:

"At this point, Google's decision to stick with the Samsung-manufactured Tensor chips seems inexcusable. The performance simply isn't there, neither in benchmarks but more importantly, in real-world usage. The phones mostly feel fine in use if you don't mind the jittery scrolling but this is simply not the desired experience of flagship devices. The chip also still runs fairly warm most of the time and while we didn't do battery testing here, we aren't expecting great things."

I'm debating returning mine. I really feel cheated guys.
Check for a couple updates to Google Play system

Reactions: J Dubbs and bhatech

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Check for a couple updates to Google Play system
Thanks

I had to install some on 4 play updates to get it to September

31d7a8fce6dcd84ab74f96054124e261.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: mustang7757

KrisYYC

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
My P8 was janky while I was setting it up and for a short while after. But it seems to be running smooth now that setup is complete and I've done a reboot.

Reactions: Bkdodger1

DJM626

Oct 18, 2015
Visit site
I get the stuttering on various sites. Also experiencing some freeze ups as well. For now though, it's something that I can live with as I have owned many phones and know that there are going to be bugs no matter what. It's a matter of how long it takes for Google to squash them and get thing running and working as they should. They have gotten better since I jumped to Samsung for awhile and came back but hopefully they will push out some updates soon that address this and some other issues that others have been dealing with

Reactions: dc52ltr

firebirder

Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Have seen the showing a few times. For me, I've noticed it using Chrome. Today I was on ESPN.com, dunno if other sites have done it or not, just sure which sure it was today. I'm curious if I start trying to scroll before everything loads and that causes the issue.

Thus far, mildly annoying, but nothing more

Seanetta

Sep 5, 2017
Visit site
I don't understand. The usual whiners around here are whining about it, on cue. I don't see it. This phone scrolls like my 7pro, my coworkers iPhones, my friends Samsuck, my BFF's Moto Flip.

What are people talking about? ICanBeYourHero is talking like his phone is moving in slide show mode, I am sitting here after Google found my phone looking at this bright screen, quick response, and colors wondering what the internet is in a tiff about again.

I swear, Google stole ya'lls prom dates, reformatted your computers and hacked your Google Home to turn your heat up too early.
Not whiners at all because I also have this issue. Generally most apps and most of the phone is OK but there is many apps like BBC News, Amazon, Ebay, Argos, YouTube, Play Store aswell as few others that are not 100% smooth. I have noticed this on my 8 Pro and it does irritate me a little. Not making it up or doing anything wrong or moaning for the sake of it. Side by side with my friends S23 Ultra the Pixel has awful choppy scrolling in many apps. Even experienced it in Photos app sometimes. Please think before you speak with such attitude calling people whiners. I too notice this and it's not really great for a flagship phone. I am certainly not imagining things for sure as many others have also experienced the same. It's actually pretty embarrassing for Google with it's own software to be so poor in performance compared to others. Maybe it's app developers I don't know but it's certainly not great

SeeBeeEss

Jan 5, 2019
Visit site
Late to the party, but the only scrolling issues I have noticed with my Pixel 8 Pro are with the Play Store and Amazon apps. Because Amazon's smart TV apps have been less-than-stellar and problematic on my TV, I just assumed that their Android phone apps were also poorly developed - Amazon, Amazon Prime Music and Amazon Prime Video all have scrolling issues on my phone. To test my theory that Amazon apps are crap, I installed and used the Amazon apps with an iPhone 12 (the only other phone I had on hand) and encountered the same scrolling issues I have noticed on my Pixel 8 Pro. Granted, iPhone and Android apps aren't exactly the same, the iPhone 12 is a few years old and I am comparing Apples to oranges Androids, but still makes me wonder what the heck is really going on. 🤔

If the Google Play Store app is problematic on a Google phone, it wouldn't be the first time a company's hardware and software didn't play nice together (you listening Microsoft?).

The scrolling issue I have noticed was noticed only after I was told it was there (thanks alot). It is only on a couple of apps that I notice the issue. I don't really know if the issue is due to the apps, the phone or both. In any event, the issue isn't enough to change my positive opinion of the phone. No phone is perfect in every metric and measure - they all have issues and areas where they could improve.

Last edited:

John Ocampos

Feb 2, 2024
Visit site
I've experienced similar jittery scrolling on my device. One thing that helped me was clearing the cache partition. You can do this by turning off your device, then holding down the volume up button and the power button until the device vibrates, then release the power button while still holding the volume up button until you see the Android system recovery menu. From there, use the volume down button to navigate to "Wipe cache partition" and press the power button to select it. After the process is complete, reboot your device and see if the scrolling improves.

Another thing to try is disabling any unnecessary background processes or apps that may be causing the issue. You can do this by going to Settings > Apps and notifications > See all apps, then select the app you want to disable and choose "Disable" or "Force stop."

Lastly, if the issue persists, you may want to consider performing a factory reset on your device. Make sure to back up your important data before doing this, as it will erase all data on your device.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cloudsofmana