Most Secure Android Phone

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Well, it gets regular monthly security patches, so it is usually the first to patch any known weakness in the Android code.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Until Tuesday, yes the 6P is the most secure as long as you include the caveat that it is tied with the Nexus 5X. After Tuesday, the most secure device will be a tie between the two Pixel devices. Shipping with N and not messing with the new features will add that advantage over the V20 and all prior Nexus devices.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I would argue the blackberry priv. Not just because I'm a priv user.
I keep the Priv high on the list as well, but behind everything that is running higher software versions and everything that's still receiving all updates directly from Google. I'm extremely pleased with how Blackberry has been handling my monthly updates.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
can someone give me a list of the most secured phones?

1. Pixel & Pixel XL
2. Nexus 6P & 5X
3. LG V20
4. Nexus 6
5. BlackBerry Priv, & DTEK models
6. Samsung Galaxy phones on Marshmallow
7. Once you're this far down, security isn't the number one goal anymore

It's also unclear where exactly the iPhone ranks in that list. Most likely between the Samsung phones and BlackBerry, but could be below Samsung as well.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
:cool: I Add my 0.50 ctvs on this Secure phones issue. There's
a consensus worldwide that the Cellphone is the most daily
used device. So improve the security features Pays off

Having said that in the "Enterprise field" according with this Tech
article iPhone ranks high-Position itself as the most secure: Learn more
Apple winning the enterprise security race, Samsung makes push | ZDNet

Unfortunately their data was just the perceptions of laymen tech executives who may not understand how the security in each OS actually functions and are incredibly likely to have a bias in favor of their current implementations and the ease of enterprise control over devices within those software packages, as opposed to the general native security of each device. So for IBM as an example, if they are set up with a BYOD policy that requires granting the company device administration rights - they can get that on any device, however they may have software set up internally that makes it really easy to do one a few specific models of devices.

Barring any giant holes in my understanding of the security features of each platform, for which I'd be unaware, Android with Marshmallow and Nougat seems to be very far ahead of Apple unless the user modifies the software and it is just as easy to prevent the user from doing so on Android as it is on iOS. But, because Android has such a commanding lead on marketshare, it is subject to more attempts to distribute malware within the ecosystem. This is the primary reason for monthly security bulletins and that is how the rankings above are actually determined. Any device not providing monthly security updates is inherently less secure than those that are, even if it is only in a theoretical sense such as the last several "major breaking news" type malware scares that were nearly impossible to execute on almost all devices.

This brings up the next issue that Android faces on the security frontier - fragmentation. With monthly security updates being optional and in some cases pushed by OEM's and in others dependent on carriers and with different OEM's shipping less of the security features than possible with each major firmware release, there is still an intrinsic hierarchy of determining which devices make the shortlist.

All devices provided monthly security updates are more safe than their counterparts that are not. Those that are not should not even be considered on the list with the exception of Samsung who gets a slight push into the honorable mentions due to their Knox software, which BlackBerry helped develop. So if and only if monthly updates are happening, this is basically how I view it:

2016-10-08.png

Sam_Gs7

May 27, 2016
Visit site
That's a great assessment on this key issue @Aquila
Not doubt when it comes to reviews online often times
we the users are target, with these Bias ratings..

So that is useful to come up with comparisons
between the 2-Dominants Phone OS's
definetly this help to clarify doubts

maizhaoiv

Sep 25, 2016
Visit site
Nexus 6P/5X, Pixel series are always the earliest to received newest security patch, and Samsung sometimes needs delay to received.
But thanks to Knox, it also contains high security software.

fotolaino

Oct 9, 2016
Visit site
I think every phone can be exploited, if not by network by physical tampering.
So if you really need a safe phone

• it should have fingerprint sensor
  • you should not ocnnect it to public usb ports (the ones where you can charge the phone, eg at a restaurant)
  • use internet as little as possible, actually dont ever use it
  • dont root
  • use cryptography (like on nexus devices)

But actually it depends on why you need the safety, must you protect the data or the communications? Do you need to access the internet safely (eg banking)?

zledzhydro

Oct 2, 2016
Visit site
1. Pixel & Pixel XL
2. Nexus 6P & 5X
3. LG V20
4. Nexus 6
5. BlackBerry Priv, & DTEK models
6. Samsung Galaxy phones on Marshmallow
7. Once you're this far down, security isn't the number one goal anymore

It's also unclear where exactly the iPhone ranks in that list. Most likely between the Samsung phones and BlackBerry, but could be below Samsung as well.

alright thanks bro