moto g won't turn on

tompro53

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
My friend had a moto g that when she was trying to call someone it turned off & won't turn on we tried charging the battery for a few minutes but still nothing, please help.

Posted via Android Central App

Old Stoneface

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Make sure the handset is charged. Then try pressing the "volume down" and hold it, then press and hold power, holding them simultaneously for about 30-45 seconds (tho I've read it may be as much as 120-180 seconds [two to three minutes]) and then release them. The flash boot screen should appear. Press the volume up key and the phone should reboot.

Or at least this is what I've read on-line.

Good luck.

Synapse2synapse

Sep 14, 2014
Visit site
This is happening to me. Well, since I "updated" to 4.4.4, the phone simply continually turns on and off, on and off. It's been doing it for an hour. I tried doing factory reset really quickly, and also tried booting to Recovery mode, and then when I go to the "Recovery" option, it simply goes black. No dead android appears and I have no chance to Hard Reset.

Is my phone bricked or something? I had unlocked bootloader, but never actually rooted it, but my warranty is now void anyway.

Anything I can do or am I just screwed?

Slashyou

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
My friend had a moto g that when she was trying to call someone it turned off & won't turn on we tried charging the battery for a few minutes but still nothing, please help.

Posted via Android Central App

Where you rooted? can you get into recovery?

stabbedintheface

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
All -

I'm jumping onto this thread instead of starting a new one...

I have Moto G 1st Gen that just randomly turned off while in my hand. Won't turn back on or respond at all. The only response I can get from the phone is when I plug it into the original moto charger - the LED will turn on and stay solid.

I've tried booting into recovery, tried the volume down and power for two minutes trick. All to no avail.

Any other ideas?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Leave it plugged into the charger for 24 hours. Then, leaving it plugged in, try turning it on. The phone is 16 months old - I suspect a bad battery. If it turns on after a 24 hour charge while still plugged in, but the charge doesn't last long, that's the problem.

stabbedintheface

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, tried all that for sure. I think something is just fried.

Went to best buy and picked up a new 2nd Gen Moto G. I got this phone for my wife because it was cheap and didn't want to worry about having to replace it. 159 for an off Contract phone isn't bad..

That being said..the new Moto G is pretty sweet.

tyblu

Apr 24, 2015
Visit site
Make sure the handset is charged. Then try pressing the "volume down" and hold it, then press and hold power, holding them simultaneously for about 30-45 seconds (tho I've read it may be as much as 120-180 seconds [two to three minutes]) and then release them. The flash boot screen should appear. Press the volume up key and the phone should reboot.

Thanks Old Stoneface! Worked for me. I had turned off my phone this morning as a periodic (once a week or so) restart, and it never turned back on. Booting into recovery mode and then a normal startup worked!

No clues as to what caused this in the first place. The phone has overheated a few times in the past 8 months during heavy load (VPN enabled, Google Maps routing active, Google Play updating, music player auto-paused in background, podcast player active -- all at once) -- perhaps there has been damage? Are there electrolytic caps in that tiny case? Or could it be a firmware issue, like a dirty shutdown process?

Regardless, thanks!

willwinter

Feb 12, 2017
Visit site
Thanks! I just did this to a Mogo G (Gen 1) that I couldn't get to boot for ages! Held the power and down button for 3 minutes and I got the recovery screen. From there 'Normal Boot' worked without a problem. Now to see if it's a bad battery.

Artcos

Jun 8, 2017
Visit site

Or at least this is what I've read on-line.

Good luck.

As an appreciation because you solved my problem, I take my time to login and say thanks !
My Moto G3 was on all night long, without being plugged in charge.
This morning, the phone was like dead. No matter how long I keep it on charge, or how I press the buttons, nothing happen.
I even pressed power on and volume down button, without result.
The only think I had in mine, was to open the phone and try disconnected the battery.
But befor doing that, i've said to myself "lets try another attempt on google" before "masacrate" the phone.
Keeping the volume down and the power button for much longer, bring up the boot screen, that my phone was alive again.
Big thanks !

Anshadha

Oct 4, 2018
Visit site
I have same problem please help me. I have moto g2 , My phone is not at all charging it is 0% .. I tried every thing from power button pressing to volume down + power button. It is not showing even flash boot screen . It is unresponsive to every action. What to do please help me. Please Please please please please