Moto Protection Plan on Verizon

jmg1975

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
I really can't describe how much I despise Verizon. I should have left when I had the chance. I just ordered two Moto Maker Moto X phones off contract. When trying to purchase the Motorola protection plan for the phones I'm being told I can't...cuz I have a VZW phone. I guess Verizon will not let Motorola sell a protection plan to customers. What I am really confused about is how is this legal? I can get some sort of protection plan through a third party seller...or Verizon...or even Best Buy if I purchase a Verizon phone there...but I can't buy Motorola's plan? Verizon does not even own my phone. It is off contract. Unsubsidized. Does anyone know the legalities of this? If I buy a Samsung TV and use Comcast service I can still buy a protection plan through a store or the TV manufacturer without Comcast telling me I can't. I suppose Verizon will say my phone will only work on their network...but...I could still drop their service and use this phone as a WIFI device. I'm really pissed off and really confused. I don't want Verizon's insurance. It is horrible and I am not giving them any more of my money.
Anyone dealing with this too?

thanks

JoeNM84

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
From everything I've read on the forums you can actually use the phone on a lot of networks(GSM), just not Sprint though.
I didn't try to get the Motorola Protection Plan though, so I don't know anything about that.

Jaingo5150

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Why would Verizon ever insure a phone they did not sell, nor have no vested interest in? They have no problems insuring phones that are purchased from them. I don't see the problem....after all they are a business.

Posted via Android Central App

jmg1975

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
The problem is Verizon WILL insure a phone they did not sell. I can get insurance through Verizon for my off contract Moto X ...but I can't get it through Motorola because Verizon is restricting Motorola from selling it to Moto Maker customers. You can get Motorola insurance for any Moto X on any carrier EXCEPT Verizon because Verizon is not allowing it. Nobody sees an issue with this?

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
The problem is Verizon WILL insure a phone they did not sell. I can get insurance through Verizon for my off contract Moto X ...but I can't get it through Motorola because Verizon is restricting Motorola from selling it to Moto Maker customers. You can get Motorola insurance for any Moto X on any carrier EXCEPT Verizon because Verizon is not allowing it. Nobody sees an issue with this?

I see what you are saying.I purchased my Moto X before Moto Maker was available for vzw .That would bother me too.

snoking

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
I got my M.X from Amazon and contacted Motorola and was told no Motorola insurance on any Verizon Moto X. VZW controls the World! I told Motorola what I thought of that and that they should push back on VZW. Agent said that it would be noted and pasted up the line! Chris

jmg1975

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
I purchased one when VZW didn't have Moto Maker too...I got it from Best Buy and got insurance through Best Buy. I don't see how it is legal for Verizon to block insurance from the device manufacturer on a phone they didn't subsidize and don't own. This seems like anti consumer practice to me.

alphabets

Nov 23, 2009
Visit site
So, if we bought a Verizon Moto X through moto maker off-contract, we cannot get insurance on it? Even through Motorola?

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
So, if we bought a Verizon Moto X through moto maker off-contract, we cannot get insurance on it? Even through Motorola?

I think what they are saying is , you can get insurance with VZW buying a phone this way.But cant get insurance tho Motorola since VZW wont allow

jmg1975

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
That's what they are saying. Moto's insurance is much better than Verizon's too....of course. It just doesn't seem like Verizon should have this control.

alphabets

Nov 23, 2009
Visit site
Yep, seems like BS. Verizon has a new tiered protection plan since last I had insurance through them. Now I need to go study the different coverage options.

tomatosouplabs

Sep 15, 2013
Visit site
I had the same WTF reaction when I learned this too (bought moto maker off contract). I decided in the end I will take my chances with no insurance and a decent case. As another person posted in another thread on this topic, I figure if something happens that I need it replaced I will have an option to buy a new one on contract for close to nothing (at least the upgrade fee). I will lose unlimited but I think I can manage that even though I was partly holding onto it out of principle. Going on share plan will cost more, but insurance will cost also. And, I will get a new phone and not some refurbished who-knows-what-it's-gone-through phone, if they even give a Moto X at all at that point.

mbar9607

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
i called and talked to moto and verizon and got the response from moto that they dont offer the insurance and to contact verizon so i did and verizon said yes assurion will insure it but if it gets replaced you will only get a solid black or white not a moto maker that you purchased..

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar