Moto X and a failing battery.

psimon1210

Sep 24, 2015
Visit site
I recently did the Lollipop update, but I'm not sure it's the culprit as I was having issues prior to the upgrade.

I drive to work (for about an hour) with the phone plugged in. It is fully charged. I get out of the car and go into my building. Set the phone on the desk. About 45 minutes later I get notification that there is a periscope I want to see. I start it. Within 15 seconds I get a message that the phone is shutting down because of the battery. Phone shuts down. I plug it in. Says it has 72% battery! Phone reboots (starts the Optimizing Apps nonsense everytime it reboots so I try not to) a half hour later I get the phone back for use.

This is a pattern for the phone. Try to do anything more than basic texting or reading mail and the phone shuts down claiming the battery is the issue. If it is plugged in it doesn't shut down.

Thoughts? Why would it shut down with 72% battery left. Any ideas how to fix?

Thanks... Paul

Evilnut

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
How old is your phone? About 6 weeks ago I had my battery replaced in my 22 month old Moto X as my battery had degraded so much it was only lasting me about 6 or 8 hours instead of a normal full day like it used to. Now I'm getting much better battery life than when my Moto X was new now that I'm on lollipop with a new battery.

Posted via Android Central App from a beautiful Ebony backed Original Moto X or the amazing Nexus 10

jexx

Nov 28, 2013
Visit site
I'm having the battery and rear plate on my 23 month old MotoX-XT1060, replaced today or tomorrow. Just prior to the LP update my battery began to "swell up" to the point where it has cracked the rear case above and below the power and volume buttons. The battery heat has gotten as high as 111 degrees, not good. Other than that, the phone works good and I like the update so far. I looked into doing this myself but it's not for the "feinght of heart".
https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Motorol...t/16974#s51748

I will try to report back on how the battery swap goes.

psimon1210

Sep 24, 2015
Visit site
How old is your phone? About 6 weeks ago I had my battery replaced in my 22 month old Moto X as my battery had degraded so much it was only lasting me about 6 or 8 hours instead of a normal full day like it used to. Now I'm getting much better battery life than when my Moto X was new now that I'm on lollipop with a new battery.

I got my phone in February of 2013 (I got the bogo free deal, so my son got one. Too bad he then stepped on it with a baseball cleat during the summer so I had to replace his)

I am interested in your battery experience.... What did it cost and how long did it take? Is it true you have to remove "lots of stuff" to get to the battery or is on the surface when you remove the back?

Evilnut

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I got my phone in February of 2013 (I got the bogo free deal, so my son got one. Too bad he then stepped on it with a baseball cleat during the summer so I had to replace his)

I am interested in your battery experience.... What did it cost and how long did it take? Is it true you have to remove "lots of stuff" to get to the battery or is on the surface when you remove the back?

I bought the battery on Amazon for about $8. I have a friend who is a techno geek, I bought him a 12 pack of his favorite beer and ordered a pizza and he did the whole thing in about 30 minutes. He made it look super simple and easy, but things like this are for him. I got a quote from ubreakifix and they would charge $70 to replace the battery including shipping cost to and from their store.

Posted via Android Central App from a beautiful Ebony backed Original Moto X or the amazing Nexus 10

jexx

Nov 28, 2013
Visit site
I'm having the battery and rear plate on my 23 month old MotoX-XT1060, replaced today or tomorrow. Just prior to the LP update my battery began to "swell up" to the point where it has cracked the rear case above and below the power and volume buttons. The battery heat has gotten as high as 111 degrees, not good. Other than that, the phone works good and I like the update so far. I looked into doing this myself but it's not for the "feinght of heart".
https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Motorol...t/16974#s51748

I will try to report back on how the battery swap goes.

Update, I had the battery and rear plate replaced yesterday. After a few reboots and apps optimizing 3/4 times, which I attribute to the new battery only having 5 percent charge after it was replaced. The phone with LP is very smooth and battery is not discharging as quick as before and no longer experiencing high temps. Currently it's sitting at 81 degrees and only have seen 91 degrees when working the phone hard. So far so good....

TommyZ23

Feb 23, 2015
Visit site
I really want to do a battery swap with my phone. The problem is, I don't want to loose my NFC function. I use the phone to pay for many things right now.

jexx

Nov 28, 2013
Visit site
I really want to do a battery swap with my phone. The problem is, I don't want to loose my NFC function. I use the phone to pay for many things right now.

I had mine replaced, (see above post)and did not loose the NFC function. I used it yesterday, with Android Pay and it worked as usual, like before the new battery...If you choose to have someone change it for you, make sure that they know what they are doing. I paid $70 for a new OEM battery, back plate and labor, "out the door". It may sound like a lot for some, but for me, it was worth it because the person really knows how to work on cell phones and has done several MotoX's previously.
I plan on keeping this phone for a couple of months and get a new one. This will then be my backup phone.

Last edited:

Evilnut

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site

The battery I purchased off of Amazon for about $8 had the NFC tag on it. It works perfect after I replaced my battery.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2