Moto X: Idle battery drain

GadgetGator

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
Nope, when I am at work, my phone is usually sitting on my desk, idle (again, everything switched off, even data). If I leave it idle from say 9AM to 1PM and then check it, it will drain like 5%...not a big deal...but during a 7 hour span at night, the battery might drain 1 or 2 % max.

Workplaces are often different environments than home full of computers with electrical interference to cut through, big thick walls that cell phones have a tough time penetrating, not to mention using different cell towers then what you might be hitting at home. So tell me what your phone does at home during the day on your days off. Then we will have an Apples to Apples comparison.

Unless you are working from home. Then it's a completely different story.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
I'm losing about 2% an hour myself. I don't find this troubling at all. My Nexus 5 loses about 2.5-3 an hour with franco kernel and undervolting.

My X is competely stock. Never installed Facebook. Location is set to High Accuracy (I want to USE my phone).

I don't think the idle is bad at all, and I actually went over 30 hours with about an hour screen-on time. Wi-Fi at work, LTE at home (on purpose). Even made a couple of 5-10 minute phone calls during this period.

CarbonOak

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
In case this helps anyone, I had some big idle drain overnight (about 20% or more in 8 hrs) initially, though strangely, regular use battery was pretty good. But I read somewhere that sometimes the battery isn't properly 'calibrated' so it drains faster. Let the phone drain completely to 0% and shut off. Then charge it to max while it is off. After that, you should be good. I did it once and it worked for me. Battery drains very minimally overnight, and overall battery performance is awesome.

reversalagent

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I am curious, do most of you have a good solid LTE connection and within the battery area your mobile signal is green? I have posted elsewhere, but with Verizon, I barely can get green according to the indicator and not sure if it is just the signal and area itself or actually the phone.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
I am curious, do most of you have a good solid LTE connection and within the battery area your mobile signal is green? I have posted elsewhere, but with Verizon, I barely can get green according to the indicator and not sure if it is just the signal and area itself or actually the phone.

At work in very specific areas that I go I do not have good LTE signal, but I use wifi there. Once I leave the parking lot my signal is generally good.

Tom in Bristol

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
Our place is within 300 yards of a brand new cell tower and we get solid green signal bars on all our phones and as a result never have poor battery life with everything turned on...except wi-fi...never use it since we all have unlimited data.

Life is good! :cool:

Fizban19

Jan 16, 2014
Visit site
Workplaces are often different environments than home full of computers with electrical interference to cut through, big thick walls that cell phones have a tough time penetrating, not to mention using different cell towers then what you might be hitting at home. So tell me what your phone does at home during the day on your days off. Then we will have an Apples to Apples comparison.

Unless you are working from home. Then it's a completely different story.

OK, I finally figured it out. It is signal strength that is causing it. When I'm at work, even though the phone has excellent reception when I unlock it {full bars}, if I move it an inch, the reception gets worse to none, then back to full again...This has to be it because this doesn't happen at home. I've had it home for the past 4 days at home and the battery drainage is consistent. Android OS is now down to 12-18% of battery. Under battery use- cell standby, it will note time without a signal, however, I guess when the phone searches for a signal, the Android OS gets used a lot to search for the signal. I've never experienced this with any other Android phone I've owned. Android OS was always at the bottom of the list in battery usage regardless of bad or good signal reception.

For those of you that have high Android OS usage on the battery AND you can't determine if a rogue app is the cause, look at your signal strength and also the percentage of time without a signal (under cell standby %). This is probably the cause of the high Android OS percentage of battery. I thought I was getting great reception at work...but the % of time without a signal tells a different tale.

mtndewgood

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
I skimmed the thread but I had a similar battery issue after the last update. Turns out it changed my email sync to PUSH instead of the 30 minute interval I had set before. It made a big difference after I changed it. Maybe this will help, maybe not.. worth trying.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kazank