Moto X KitKat differences & issues

legendarydog

Android Enthusiast
Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
That should be working fine with this update because Kit Kat allows you to select a default SMS app. Have you seen this not work?

I didn't have hangouts set as my default app while I was driving yesterday so I didn't get a chance to test it.

I realize now that I meant to say Motorola connect. I tested sending a text message from another phone and I didn't get a notification on my computer's chrome browser. Hopefully they'll update it soon.

Sent from my Moto X

MHBlink8

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
I didn't have hangouts set as my default app while I was driving yesterday so I didn't get a chance to test it.

I realize now that I meant to say Motorola connect. I tested sending a text message from another phone and I didn't get a notification on my computer's chrome browser. Hopefully they'll update it soon.

Sent from my Moto X

The SMS portion of Hangouts is limited to your phone. You won't see any of your SMS conversations on your PC; for now anyway.

https://support.google.com/hangouts/answer/3441321?hl=en&ref_topic=2944851

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

dajobo

May 19, 2011
Visit site
You'll have to get the GEL and maybe google search from N5 for that. I'm using it and didn't realize it wasn't part of the moto x kit kat due to it already being installed.
Do you guys have to transparent notifications and nav buttons?

Yes. Transparent notifications and navigation buttons.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 4

MHBlink8

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
anyone care to comment about immersion mode or google experience launcher?? where is this in 4.4? how do u use it?

The Google Experience Launcher is exclusive to the Nexus 5 for right now, but you can sideload the .apk and get it running. Motorola releases Android 4.4 KitKat update for Verizon Moto X | The Verge

As for the immersion mode, the framework is there in 4.4, but apps have to be coded to take advantage of it and I'm not sure many of them have yet.

GNexROC

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
What I did to have a fuller kit kat experience was download nova launcher beta (novalauncher.com/beta>install latest apk on phone). In the settings, you can change the icon theme, app drawer transparency, scroll indicator, folder background color, font, nav and notification bar transparency, and more. I got really confused about what was changed and what was not because I had the launcher installed before the update. It kind of seems like a half a**ed update, but an update is better than no update, so I'm grateful. I'm disappointed that the dialer app does not do business searches and I'm wondering if the business caller ID works. Also, the update seemed to override nova launchers icons, switching the dialer app icon back to the old version. I had to download kit kat HD in order to get the new dialer icon back. It's a little thing, but I like the new icon better. Also, I hope they update Motorola assist to support hangouts.

Sent from my Moto X

The business caller ID does work. After the update I got a call from a random unknown number that had been calling me off and on for months. This time the name of the business the call was from showed up.

nycdaddio1

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
Do you guys all have new Lock Screens? Mine is exactly the same....no camera icon....no album art when playing music on Google music. No change at all

H2o

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
Do you guys all have new Lock Screens? Mine is exactly the same....no camera icon....no album art when playing music on Google music. No change at all

I've got the camera app and full album art with Google music

Posted via Android Central App

thejesse

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
The update broke the dialer on my Son's phone. It crashes immediately upon opening. Has anyone heard of a problem similar to this? I've tried everything I can think of to get it running with no luck.

Practical Performance

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site
It seems that music widgets no longer work with Android 4.4 Kit Kat on my Moto X. I do have widgets enabled in the security settings. Anybody else having this issue?

I've tried both Google Play Music and Pandora, I don't get a widget on my lockscreen when listening to either app.

I've rebooted, tried the default launcher (I use Nova launcher), tried force stopping the app... nothing works. Any ideas on how to fix this??

Last edited:

H2o

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
It seems that music widgets no longer work with Android 4.4 Kit Kat on my Moto X. I do have widgets enabled in the security settings. Anybody else having this issue?

I've tried both Google Play Music and Pandora, I don't get a widget on my lockscreen when listening to either app.

I've rebooted, tried the default launcher (I use Nova launcher), tried force stopping the app... nothing works. Any ideas on how to fix this??

Mine are all working. I'm using the GEL launcher

tonymhoffman

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
The business caller ID does work. After the update I got a call from a random unknown number that had been calling me off and on for months. This time the name of the business the call was from showed up.

Factory reset the device.

Stang68

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
anyone care to comment about immersion mode or google experience launcher?? where is this in 4.4? how do u use it?

Immersion mode works just fine. Open Google Play Books and open a book...the whole screen becomes filled just like on the Nexus 5.

Last edited:

globster2000

Aug 22, 2013
Visit site
The update broke the dialer on my Son's phone. It crashes immediately upon opening. Has anyone heard of a problem similar to this? I've tried everything I can think of to get it running with no luck.

I think you should post this problem in the motorola's owner's forum at

https://forums.motorola.com/hives/a440c30711/summary

thunderup

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site

I think I read about a few people having this same problem and it was just an issue with the shortcut. Try deleting the shortcut from your dock, open the dialer app from the app drawer, then add the shortcut back to your dock. Hope that helps!

museic

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Kit Kat broke voice search on Google Search for me. The microphone icon is now an outline and the search field used to say something like "Type or say "Ok Google". Now it doesn't.

Touchless control (Ok Google Now) still works to initiate actions and searches, but once I've done a search, I can't say Ok Google to continue the searching. I've checked that voice search is checked in settings. I also cleared the data and rebooted. Still doesn't work.

I have also noticed this with mine...I even uninstalled and reinstalled Google Search and it still doesn't work.

Has anyone gotten this to work? Or noticing the same thing?