Moto X on ATT vs Pure Edition

skidmark

Dec 25, 2010
Visit site
Wife and I have the same phone except mine is the pure edition vs ATT.

I was holding both phones in my hands and my wife's phone had a signal and my phone did not have any signal at all.

Can someone explain?

Posted via the Android Central App

raptir

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
Yours is defective?

Alternatively, did her phone actually have a usable signal? I've seen plenty of cases like that where my Moto X Pure showed a signal and my wife's Nexus 5 did not, but I couldn't actually do anything with the alleged signal (data wouldn't actually load a web page, calls wouldn't go through).

skidmark

Dec 25, 2010
Visit site
Yours is defective?

Alternatively, did her phone actually have a usable signal? I've seen plenty of cases like that where my Moto X Pure showed a signal and my wife's Nexus 5 did not, but I couldn't actually do anything with the alleged signal (data wouldn't actually load a web page, calls wouldn't go through).

I hope my phone is not defective. I just got it.

Next time i notice the same situation i will check if her phone's signal is actually usable.

repligation

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
When did you get your phone? Initially the XT1095 was only capable of handling LTE bands 02, 04, and 17. Bands 03, 05, and 07 were added in the 5.0 update. Was it even an LTE band or some older 4G, 3G or 2G signal?

Other than that are you sure your XT1095 APNs were provisioned properly when you inserted the ATT nanoSIM card?

skidmark

Dec 25, 2010
Visit site
When did you get your phone? Initially the XT1095 was only capable of handling LTE bands 02, 04, and 17. Bands 03, 05, and 07 were added in the 5.0 update. Was it even an LTE band or some older 4G, 3G or 2G signal?

Other than that are you sure your XT1095 APNs were provisioned properly when you inserted the ATT nanoSIM card?

I just got our last week direct from Motorola.

I stuck my sim card from my first gen moto x into the second gen moto x, and started using as usual. Should i have gone to the store?

repligation

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
I just got our last week direct from Motorola.

I stuck my sim card from my first gen moto x into the second gen moto x, and started using as usual. Should i have gone to the store?

The short answer to that is yes. Your nanoSIM is presumably provisioned for the first gen device which was capable of LTE bands 02, 04, 05, and 17. Even if that was not the issue that you experienced recently, you may run into a coverage downgrade in the future because of it.

Other than the hassle of the time spent calling ATT or heading to the store, it doesn't appear that you have any reason not to do it.

skidmark

Dec 25, 2010
Visit site
The short answer to that is yes. Your nanoSIM is presumably provisioned for the first gen device which was capable of LTE bands 02, 04, 05, and 17. Even if that was not the issue that you experienced recently, you may run into a coverage downgrade in the future because of it.

Other than the hassle of the time spent calling ATT or heading to the store, it doesn't appear that you have any reason not to do it.

Thanks again for your insight. I'll pop into a store and have it done correctly.

zavandiver

May 2, 2014
Visit site

Interesting. I moved my sim from my iPhone 5S to the first gen Moto X and then to the second gen Moto X. I haven't noticed any coverage issues, but my area is part of ATT's home base.

repligation

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
Thanks again for your insight. I'll pop into a store and have it done correctly.

I should mention that if you are coming from a SIM on an LTE provisioned phone, the network should automatically update the SIM in the new phone without any problems. However given how many problems can occur with APN settings, it is a good idea to make sure the carrier has done it right unless you plan on rooting and you have to set them on your own because of a change in ROM.

dan1431

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
My only thought would be the radio profile on the at&t model is tuned precisely for at&t while the Pure Edition has a more generically tuned radio, so in theory, in a poor signal area a carrier branded would preform better than a generic handset.

Having said that, I have not experienced a situation where the Pure Didn't perform as well as the carrier branded version.

Dan