Moto X Pure Edition/Moto X Style vs. Nexus 6P

Ryaan Johnson

Aug 25, 2015
Visit site
Re: Moto X Pure/Style v Nexus 6P

Mxpe dual front speakers are a must have once you try them. And the sd is always a bonus

Posted via the Android Central App

MTeator

Sep 10, 2015
Visit site

Mxpe dual front speakers are a must have once you try them. And the sd is always a bonus

The speakers on the 6P are way better than the Pure. I do miss the SD card, so I had to splurge for the 128gb to compensate.

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site

I like the Moto but you've already decided on the nexus.

Just get it

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
Yea I think I have. But I wouldn't mind peoples input on the software side of things, voice, ambient display etc

My first Moto here and I am totally digging it. Very intuitive. I can't offer a comparison because I don't have the Nexus but it sounds like a great phone as well. What I can say is the Pure is smoothest/fastest phone I've ever had. Combined with Moto maker styling, super fast charging and external storage...

It's a win for my type of use.

Last edited:

ezvv

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site

I had the 2014 moto X and now this pure and I really love it. However I'm really wanting to switch to the nexus 6p for basically the exact reasons as you. Low light shots and a better battery. I know 6.0 will help me out some on the moto X with battery but the 6p has 6.0 and a bigger battery to start so. Also I'm not trusting lenovo to keep up with updates but that's obviously just a guess/worry.

The ONLY thing holding me up is that I just spent money on this moto X and definitely won't make my money back if I sell it after getting a 6p. Also worry about it not selling as quickly as I'd like.

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site

The speakers on the 6P are way better than the Pure. I do miss the SD card, so I had to splurge for the 128gb to compensate.

I've heard the opposite on the speakers several times.

ezvv

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site

I have both a 5X and 6P here. The 5X is very bad, the 6P is very good.

But its moto X pure edition and nexus 6p that are being compared by the other members not the 5x

Jheebs

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site

Here we go again...way better? Not even close...you really need to stop misleading people...and do your research before you comment.

MTeator

Sep 10, 2015
Visit site

Here we go again...way better? Not even close...you really need to stop misleading people...and do your research before you comment.

Ok. I just have them all right here in front of me. But I guess I could have bad hearing.

jasimpson89

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site

evzz do you think you would miss the moto software if you moved? or would the stock 6.0 stuff do what you want?

On the speakers front am pretty sure the moto is better. Jump to the 10 min mark of pocketnow video review of 6P it does a quick comparison (sorry cant post links not enough posts)

Also can anyone do a comparison for me that has a 6P or has moved to one?

Thanks to everyone for all your help.

ezvv

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
evzz do you think you would miss the moto software if you moved? or would the stock 6.0 stuff do what you want?

On the speakers front am pretty sure the moto is better. Jump to the 10 min mark of pocketnow video review of 6P it does a quick comparison (sorry cant post links not enough posts)

I don't. Honestly the only moto feature I use is moto display. While it is cool as crap to just wave my hand and have the screen show notifications its not something I couldn't live without. The wrist twist for the camera is cool but the double power button tap I'm sure is the same, and the flashlight chop motion is a take it or leave it for me also so I think I'd be fine. I worry the 6p is a tiny bit bigger than the pure but like I said, the lone reason I haven't switched already is Im worried about how long it will take to sell my moto X on swappa.

Jheebs

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site

I will try to give you an honest comparison, based mostly off facts, and some of my opinions, as I am a "Motorola guy "...

First off, the N6p and the MXPE are the 2 best Android phones you can buy today. I would add the Note 5 to this list except, well, it's a Samsung. Terrible, laggy software, horrible speakers, poor radios (Bluetooth, WiFi and cell), and they don't last... Other than that it's a great phone... Lol.

So the differences between these two phones and which one you should buy, are all dependent on what you are going to use your phone for...

Processor - the N6p wins here, it has the better processor. Does it matter? In real world, everyday use, NO, they both perform about the same. The only difference being heavy gaming. I'm not talking about playing solitaire or candy crush here, I'm talking real gaming... The N6p will smoke the MXPE... Fact

Screen - the N6p has the 2nd best Amoled screen out, next to the Note 5, The MXPE has The best lcd screen out... Which one you prefer is all a matter of taste... The N6p's black's will be much better, have better viewing angles, but colors will be over saturated, MXPE looks more natural, life like, and is better in bright sunlight. The N6p will eventually develop screen burn in, they all do... LCD's, not so much... My opinion, I'll take the MXPE, it's a really beautiful screen...

Software - N6p stock Android, excellent... MXPE stock Android plus Motorola's enhancements, Awesome! No comparison, once you've had Moto's software, you'll never want anything less... It makes Android that much better... Should be bought by Google and added to Android, period! That's why I couldn't keep my N6, missed my Moto stuff too much, not to mention the enormous size of the thing... I've had many moto phones, (Droid X, RAZR MAXX HD, Droid MAXX, Droid Turbo, N6 and MXPE) love them.

Camera - the N6p wins here. Both take great photos, but the N6p is better, more detailed, especially in low light. If you take a lot of pics with your phone and you must have the best photos, N6p for sure... But the MXPE can hold its own, and if you only take a few pics here and there, the MXPE does fine. Also, the MXPE has a flash on the front camera, take's great selfies, and has a wide angle lens... I'd give the front camera to the MXPE by a smidge...

Speakers - both have dual, front facing stereo speakers, but the MXPE's are better... Louder and sound better, period.

Battery - the N6p wins here too... The battery will last a few hours longer, but they both have quick charging, so to me, either one is fine, plug them in for 15 min and you have another 8 hours or so... My MXPE lasts me from 5 am until 10pm with moderate usage, and still have 30% left...I don't play heavy games and I don't do social media. Facebook is a battery killer by the way...

Fingerprint sensor - the N6p wins here again, why? Because the MXPE doesn't have one... The only real downfall of the MXPE. Fingerprint sensors are the future and every phone made today should have them, period. They are very convenient and with mobile payment options becoming the norm, every phone should have them.

SD card slot - MXPE wins here. With today's high speed cards and super powerful phones, every phone should have one. The old days they got a bad rap because they were small, expensive and slow, and phones were slow, so they made your phone come to a crawl. Not anymore... I have a 200gb in my MXPE, I can put anything and everything on it, and use my phone literally as a mega media machine and as my pc... And still not worry about space...

Looks and build quality - to me, this is a no brainer. The MXPE can be customized in hundreds of color combinations, different backs, wood, leather, engraved, etc... looks sexy as hell... And is made by Motorola, which everyone knows their phones are made like tanks, built to last. The N6p, in my opinion, has to be the ugliest phone out today. That back glass lens and bump is hideous... Lol I've never owned a Huawei device so I can't comment on its durability. But, there are a lot of issues with the back glass cracking surfacing on the web, so that may be an issue... I'm my opinion, MXPE by a landslide... Lol

Price - MXPE wins here... No contest, almost equal phone, customizable, much cheaper... WINNER!

I saved the most important one for last...

Radio's - let's face it, your phone has to work, period. What good is the best phone in the world if your signal stinks, your call quality is lousy, your WiFi cuts out or your Bluetooth fails or never connects??? It's a useless piece of crap if you ask me... This is where Motorola and the MXPE dominates every other phone manufacturer on the market... Their radios are the best... PERIOD!!! I'm not saying the N6p's are bad or not good... I'm just saying that Motorola's are the best... FACT. You will get signal where other phones won't, you will have the best call quality as possible, depending on your carrier of course, your WiFi will work and your Bluetooth will work... That's what I want my phone to do first, work! Sure there are lemons in every bunch, but overall, nothing beats Motorola.

So to sum up... If you take tons of pics with your phone and camera is a high priority, if your a heavy gamer, if you must have a fingerprint sensor or if you gotta have the newest, highest spec'd phone out then by all means, get the N6p.

If you only take pics every once in a while or for fun, don't do a lot of heavy gaming, want tons of storage, want the best signal and call quality as possible, want a customized phone, save a couple hundred bucks, and still have 95% of the N6p... Then get the MXPE

Remember, this is only my opinion, it all depends on your wants and needs in a phone... Hope I could help.

Last edited:

ezvv

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
Sometimes I feel like I may underestimate the SD card. I have a 64gb one in my moto X and it stores my pics and music. I have T-Mobile so streaming music isn't a concern data wise but my wife and kids and I like to camp and stuff so I worry that having ****ty signal up the mountains or something I won't be able to listen to music. That's a big deal as it usually helps keep my 18 month old calm in the backseat. I could always throw it in an older device and use that for music but seems a little bit of hassle. Hmmm never really thought about that until just reading that last post.

Jheebs

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
Sometimes I feel like I may underestimate the SD card. I have a 64gb one in my moto X and it stores my pics and music. I have T-Mobile so streaming music isn't a concern data wise but my wife and kids and I like to camp and stuff so I worry that having ****ty signal up the mountains or something I won't be able to listen to music. That's a big deal as it usually helps keep my 18 month old calm in the backseat. I could always throw it in an older device and use that for music but seems a little bit of hassle. Hmmm never really thought about that until just reading that last post.

Never underestimate the SD card. ..lol
I'm a music nut too and a part time DJ...I have over 3000 full cd's on my sd card, and still have over 100gb left for photos, movies and files for work. ..love it. When I'm out dejaying, I only bring the popular stuff, if I need something else, whip out my phone, plug it in and cue it up...awesome.

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
I will try to give you an honest comparison, based mostly off facts, and some of my opinions, as I am a "Motorola guy "...

First off, the N6p and the MXPE are the 2 best Android phones you can buy today. I would add the Note 5 to this list except, well, it's a Samsung. Terrible, laggy software, horrible speakers, poor radios (Bluetooth, WiFi and cell), and they don't last... Other than that it's a great phone... Lol.

So the differences between these two phones and which one you should buy, are all dependent on what you are going to use your phone for...

Processor - the N6p wins here, it has the better processor. Does it matter? In real world, everyday use, NO, they both perform about the same. The only difference being heavy gaming. I'm not talking about playing solitaire or candy crush here, I'm talking real gaming... The N6p will smoke the MXPE... Fact

Screen - the N6p has the 2nd best Amoled screen out, next to the Note 5, The MXPE has The best lcd screen out... Which one you prefer is all a matter of taste... The N6p's black's will be much better, have better viewing angles, but colors will be over saturated, MXPE looks more natural, life like, and is better in bright sunlight. The N6p will eventually develop screen burn in, they all do... LCD's, not so much... My opinion, I'll take the MXPE, it's a really beautiful screen...

Software - N6p stock Android, excellent... MXPE stock Android plus Motorola's enhancements, Awesome! No comparison, once you've had Moto's software, you'll never want anything less... It makes Android that much better... Should be bought by Google and added to Android, period! That's why I couldn't keep my N6, missed my Moto stuff too much, not to mention the enormous size of the thing... I've had many moto phones, (Droid X, RAZR HD, Droid MAXX, Droid Turbo, N6 and MXPE) love them.

Camera - the N6p wins here. Both take great photos, but the N6p is better, more detailed, especially in low light. If you take a lot of pics with your phone and you must have the best photos, N6p for sure... But the MXPE can hold its own, and if you only take a few pics here and there, the MXPE does fine. Also, the MXPE has a flash on the front camera, take's great selfies, and has a wide angle lens... I'd give the front camera to the MXPE by a smidge...

Speakers - both have dual, front facing stereo speakers, but the MXPE's are better... Louder and sound better, period.

Battery - the N6p wins here too... The battery will last a few hours longer, but they both have quick charging, so to me, either one is fine, plug them in for 15 min and you have another 8 hours or so... My MXPE lasts me from 5 am until 10pm with moderate usage, and still have 30% left...I don't play heavy games and I don't do social media. Facebook is a battery killer by the way...

Fingerprint sensor - the N6p wins here again, why? Because the MXPE doesn't have one... The only real downfall of the MXPE. Fingerprint sensors are the future and every phone made today should have them, period. They are very convenient and with mobile payment options becoming the norm, every phone should have them.

SD card slot - MXPE wins here. With today's high speed cards and super powerful phones, every phone should have one. The old days they got a bad rap because they were small, expensive and slow, and phones were slow, so they made your phone come to a crawl. Not anymore... I have a 200gb in my MXPE, I can put anything and everything on it, and use my phone literally as a mega media machine and as my pc... And still not worry about space...

Looks and build quality - to me, this is a no brainer. The MXPE can be customized in hundreds of color combinations, different backs, wood, leather, engraved, etc... looks sexy as hell... And is made by Motorola, which everyone knows their phones are made like tanks, built to last. The N6p, in my opinion, has to be the ugliest phone out today. That back glass lens and bump is hideous... Lol I've never owned a Huawei device so I can't comment on its durability. But, there are a lot of issues with the back glass cracking surfacing on the web, so that may be an issue... I'm my opinion, MXPE by a landslide... Lol

Price - MXPE wins here... No contest, almost equal phone, customizable, much cheaper... WINNER!

I saved the most important one for last...

Radio's - let's face it, your phone has to work, period. What good is the best phone in the world if your signal stinks, your call quality is lousy, your WiFi cuts out or your Bluetooth fails or never connects??? It's a useless piece of crap if you ask me... This is where Motorola and the MXPE dominates every other phone manufacturer on the market... Their radios are the best... PERIOD!!! I'm not saying the N6p's are bad or not good... I'm just saying that Motorola's are the best... FACT. You will get signal where other phones won't, you will have the best call quality as possible, depending on your carrier of course, your WiFi will work and your Bluetooth will work... That's what I want my phone to do first, work! Sure there are lemons in every bunch, but overall, nothing beats Motorola.

So to sum up... If you take tons of pics with your phone and camera is a high priority, if your a heavy gamer, if you must have a fingerprint sensor or if you gotta have the newest, highest spec'd phone out then by all means, get the N6p.

If you only take pics every once in a while or for fun, don't do a lot of heavy gaming, want tons of storage, want the best signal and call quality as possible, want a customized phone, save a couple hundred bucks, and still have 95% of the N6p... Then get the MXPE

Remember, this is only my opinion, it all depends on your wants and needs in a phone... Hope I could help.

Very nice comparison!

This MXPE is the real deal in my book

ionphonics

Oct 13, 2015
Visit site
Ok, after a week with the 6P and a month with MXPE, I'm keeping the MXPE and returning the 6P. Here are my findings after real life testings:

Moto X pros:
1) Moto assist, Moto action(gestures), Moto voice, and Moto display. This is by far the BEST thing about Moto phones.
2) The speaker and earphones are fuller, richer, and about 10% louder. It makes a huge difference when you're on the airplane where background noise is loud. I can barely hear the 6P but the X was loud and crisp.
3) The size of the X felt comfy in hand with its rounded back.
4) Low light video in the X is better.
5) IPS display is better in bright sunlight.

Moto X cons:
Still camera of the X is 10% less sharp, less accurate autofocus(hit or miss, not always), color rendition not as vivid as the 6P. I took tons of low light shots, then zoomed 100% and did the comparison. The results are undoubtedly 6P wins hands down. The sensor on the 6P is by far more superb.

Nexus 6P pros:
1) All metal build
2) WiFi calling.
3) Best still camera.
4) Fingerprint reader.
5) Notification light
6) Amoled display shows more contrast and sightly sharper.

Nexus 6P cons:
1) It is harder to hold, less friendly in hand as it's slightly wide and too long.
2) Double power is the only gesture to turn on camera.
3) Dark low light video had lots of artifacts (noise).
4) Speaker is 10% less loud and often distorts at max volume. Sounds more pitchy and less bass (lack in depth) in both speaker and earphones. Seems they use less quality sound HW.

Battery: Doze is a gimmick. Moto X battery management is the same as doze on standby of the 6P. I took both phones fully charged at midnight, woke up at 7am, both had 98% left over. Although the 6P has 3450mA vs the X with 3000mA, I ran both same video playing back to back along with streaming videos, both has exactly same battery usage. So in terms of battery, IMO, they're both very similar in real life application.

Conclusion...
In my opinion,
1) Moto X size feels much better in hand.
2) Moto X has many Moto gestures.
3) Moto X radio and speaker is better.
3) 6P still camera is 10% better (better color rendition and better focus accuracy)
4) 6P has WiFi calling, Fingerprint reader, notification light.

Thus, I'm keeping the Moto X for the most essential of daily usage: friendly to hold, Moto features, and best sounds, with very acceptable camera and battery life. I'm sure 2016, Moto X will have the rest but by that time, I'm sure others will introduce something else again. I wish Lenovo think ahead for once. Peace.