Motorola Droid 2.0.1 Rooting FAQ's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
The following are frequently asked questions in regards to rooting the Motorola Droid.

A big thanks to the following members for contributing!!!!

• DA6

• Flyguide83

• prometheus

• thebizz

If you do not see an answer to your question above, please use the SEARCH feature of the forums, to look for a solution, before starting a new thread.

Last edited:

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Rooting Defined:

The process of rooting your phone is a means of giving yourself root, or superuser/admin access to the Droid.

Once rooted, you will have access to the /system folder and the ability to both read and write to files in this folder. When you first buy your Droid, these files are set to read only.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Manual Procedure for Rooting Droid

Pre-Requisite: Your Droid must be at version 2.0.1

1. Download "Root my 201 Droid.zip" from here.
2. Extract and transfer update.zip, to your Droid's SD card, either via an SD card reader or USB.
3. Power down Droid.
4. Hold down the "X" key on the physical keyboard and do not let go.
5. Now press the power button while you continue to hold the X button.
6. When you see a triangle you can stop pressing the power and X button.
7. Now press the volume up button and do not let go.
8. Now press the camera button while you continue to press the volume up button, until you see a menu.
9. Using the directional pad on the physical keyboard, select the option to update using update.zip file.
10. Once the update is complete, select the option to reboot the phone.

Your phone is now rooted.

Many thanks to embeem, mjxg, & Cyanogen for your efforts in making rooting possible.

Last edited:
Reactions: weirdkid

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Rooting via Sholes.info

Sholes.info is a group of developers that had created a program (available in the Market or via their website), that automated the process of rooting your Droid and updating the Droid's ROM file.

As of 2.17, the Sholes.info app is no longer in the Market, and the Sholes.info page says "Presently unavailable".

There are rumors that Sholes.info will be available again in the future.

In the meantime please use the manual procedure above to root your Droid.

prometheus

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
Will rooting my phone void my warranty?

Yes rooting WILL void your warranty. This includes the manufacturer's warranty and any secondary coverage such as Assurion.

Rooting your device is NOT recommended or encouraged by either the phones's manufacturer or your carrier. Rooting gives the user access to programs and files that an inexperienced user could alter and damage their device.

However, it is possible to "unroot" - that is go back to stock settings. So, in the event of something non-software related (i.e. crack the screen and make as Assurion claim) you may be able to remove evidence that the device was rooted and thus obtain a warranty replacement.

So, BEFORE starting the process of rooting your device consider all of the consequences and determine if this is something you REALLY want to do.

Last edited by a moderator:

prometheus

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
Will I be able to receive OTA updates once rooted?

No. Any OS update that is "pushed" to your device from the carrier will not be received on a rooted device. Updates to apps downloaded from Market will continue to be received.

However, it is possible to unroot your device and go back to stock settings and thus be able receive OTA updates. This can be done at any time after the OS is pushed. So, if you are rooted, a new OS is pushed, you missed it because you were rooted - don't despair, you can unroot and it will get automatically downloaded.

But... there is no certainty that once an OS update is recieved that you will be able to re-root. New OS require new programs to be written to allow access to root functionality. It is likely that a developer will be able to hack new OS and allow root on new OS. But, that may take a little while and you may be "stuck" with a stock OS.

prometheus

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
How do I back up my device before rooting?

There are a few apps that can assist you in this. Ckeck out a few that are available for free in market:

Astro (backs up apps only)
Titanium

The back up file is created on your SD card. You can copy and paste that file on your computer - in case somewhere in the root process you corrupt your SD card.

Last edited:

prometheus

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
Will I lose all of my settings / apps once I root?

NO. However, it is possible to mess up the root process and inadvertantly wipe your device. So, it is highly recommended that you create a back up file of your phone and SD card prior to starting the root process.

Keep in mind that apps you purchased through Market are saved in Market under your user name. So, even if you wipe your device - once you access Market with the same user name the apps are listed under "downloads" and available to download again. Also, your contacts are stored and saved under your Gmail account. And, custom ringtones and wallpapers can (should) be stored on your SD card which can (should) be backed up on your computer. So, restoring a wiped device only takes a little bit of effort. You would have to work pretty hard to completely lose everything.

prometheus

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
How much will rooting my device cost me?

Most hacks are available for free. There is usually a recommended donation to the developer. This is usually in the range of $5.

The developers work very hard to write the hacks. So, budget a few bucks and don't be cheap. Remember - you get what you pay for.

prometheus

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
What should I do once I root?

Most people who have rooted choose to remove "bloatware". These are files that either the manufacturer or the carrier have installed that are either nonessential or not ever used.

Some are: corporate calendar, amazon, visual voice mail.

Many custom ROMs will have prompts during the installation process that will ask you if you want to remove this bloatware during the ROM installation. So, removing these useless (in many people's opinions) files is a simple and easy process.

prometheus

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
I've rooted, now I see this icon called "superuser permissions". What does that do?

In short... that icon does nothing. It's a place where you can quickly see what applications or processes you have granted access to your phone's core. It's just a quick reference and the place where you could quickly and easily revoke an app's root access. Don't worry about the icon - it really doesn't do anything.

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
Stuck in continuous reboot loop?

Reboot into recovery and wipe data cache load the Rom again and reboot the phone it should work now.

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
Using Update.zip and/or Nandroid Backup

It's a good rule of thumb to only use update.zip if your coming from a Rom with a similar base (i.e.m updating from one 2.01 to another).

If you're ROM is at version 2.1 and you want to use a 2.01 Rom use the nandrioid backup. Do a wipe data prior to doing a nandrioid backup.

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
How often should I do a Nandroid Backup?

Prior to making any modification (loading theme with metamorph, changing roms, overclocking, or anything like that). You never know what will mess your phone up, so its best to have that backup.

R

Roy Aguilera

An alternative method of Rooting

This option provides yet another method of rooting than the one shown above:

• Easiest way to root is to use the (current 2.0.1 update zip wit root). This can be found anywhere (rootyourdroid.info, 0mietechsupport.ect).
  • You can download this directly from your phone using ASTRO. It will download rather easy as it is a small file (10MB's). Most have renamed it to root_undate.zip.
  • Using Astro: Long press the downloaded zip (it will be in the downloads file in your SD card), hit edit, hit rename and then rename it update_zip.
  • Now long press it again, select edit, select move, hit the back button, hit menu, hit edit and lastly paste.
  • This sounds like alot of steps but really takes about a minute or 2 max.
  • Now power off.
  • Open up the keyboard
  • Hold x while hitting the power button (keep your finger on x till you see the triangle and exclamation point).
  • Now hit the volume up and camera key at the same time. This might take a couple of attempts. Then you will see the recovery image.
  • Use the d-pad and select apply sd card update zip.
  • Hit the center of the d-pad and it will begin installing.
  • When done select reboot system now.
  • Your phone will reboot and you will now have root.
  • This all takes less than 5 minutes.

R

Roy Aguilera

Creating a Nandroid Backup

Prerequisite: You must install busy box/recovery image in order to do a Nandroid backup:

1. Download Droid Root Helper. Its a free app in the market.
  2. Once its installed hit the menu key.
  3. Select get tools. Select the 3rd option Get Tools.
  4. This will load a zip in your downloads folder named droidroothelper.zip.
  5. Exit the app.
  6. Open up ASTRO and then open up your Downloads folder.
  7. Find said zip.
  8. Hit it, you will see the tools folder.
  9. Long Press it. Hit edit, Hit move.
  10. Now hit the back button, hit the menu button, hit edit, hit paste.
  11. You now have the Tools folder in your SD card root.
  12. Exit the app.
  13. Now reopen up Droid root helper.
  14. Hit Mount mtdblock4 System....
  15. (a pop up will apear asking for permission, check allow and allow)
  16. Now hitInstall and chmod busybox....
  17. Then hit Install and chmod flash_image...
  18. Now go to the very bottom and hit Flash 99.1b recovery....
  19. Now scroll up and hitRename recovery-from-boot...
  20. Lastly hit Unmount System mtdblock4.
  21. You now have busybox and a new recovery image.
  22. Hit Reboot Recovery (in the app).

This will boot you into recovery. Read the instructions in the recovery, the instructions have changed.

1. Select Backup/Restore
  2. Now choose Simple Nandroid Backup
  3. You will see the progress as you create your nandroid back-up.
  4. When done Reboot your phone.
  5. You now have a nandroid recory image of your system in your nandroid folder (SD card).
  6. You should probably move this somewhere safe in your computer.

prometheus

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
How do I "reboot into recovery mode"? What does that even mean?

Think of your device as a computer. When you reboot your computer it will automatically start up windows, right? Well, you're able to stop that the usual reboot process and get into the "guts" of the computer by pressing F6 (I think it's F6).

It's the same thing with your device. It you power off / on or just do a regular reboot - you'll be directed to your lock screen and then your home screen. In order to install custom ROMs or get into the "guts" of the device you need to bypass the usual start up process and get into what's known as recovery mode.

This is accomplished by pressing certain buttons while the device is powering up. Here are the steps:

-- While the device is on and running open the physical keyboard
-- Press and hold at the same time the control, alt, and the delete keys. (note: the "control" key is the one to the left of the "Z". The one with the arrow on it)
-- Your device will power off.
-- As soon as it starts the cycle of powering on (you'll see the screen slightly brighten) press and hold the "X" button on the phyical keyboard AND the power button on the top at the same time.
-- Keep holding the buttons down until a new screen comes up. This will be a rather plain looking screen with some typed prompts on it.
-- The recovery mode is NOT a touch screen. You will navigate this screen by using the volume up down buttons, the camera button, and the power button. Just follow the prompts on the screen.

prometheus

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
I just rooted and now my USB cord doesn't work. It won't even charge. What should I do?

Relax. It's a very easy fix. Sometimes during the rooting process the USB debugging mode is switched and this causes the USB connectivity to be messed up.

From the home screen:

-- press menu
-- press settings
-- press applications
-- press development
-- under the prompt "USB debugging" make sure the box is checked.
-- done.

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
how to unbrick your droid

How To Unbrick Your Droid
i take no credit for this but i thought it would be a good thing to have over here thank the guys at alldroid for this one

I take no credit for the release of the .sbf file nor any of Motorola's software or drivers

Requirements
A. VZW_A855_ESD56_QSC6085BP_C_01.3E.01P_SW_UPDATE_03.sbf (.sbf file)
B. http://aschen.net/android/RSDLite4.6.msi (RSDLite 4.6)
C.
http://direct.motorola.com/hellomoto/Co ... _4.2.0.zip (32-bit Motorola USB Drivers)
or
http://direct.motorola.com/hellomoto/Co ... _4.2.0.zip (64-bit Motorola USB Drivers)

Instructions:
1. Download all of the files above including the 32-bit OR 64-bit Motorola USB Drivers.
2. Install RSDLite 4.6 AND the 32-bit or 64-bit Motorola USB Drivers (Depends on your system most will need 32-bit some will need 64-bit)
3. Connect your phone to USB and turn it off then while your phone is booting hold up on the DPAD.
4. Run RSD Lite 4.6 as Administrator (For all you Vista and 7 folks out there. If you are using XP you may not need to run as Administrator)
5. Click the ... next to the filename box and browse to where you saved the .sbf file and double click the .sbf file.
6. Hit start and below it should give you completion progress and all of that.
7. Once your phone is done being flashed (It may take a while so don't unplug it) it will reboot and you will be back at stock 2.0.1 no root.
8. Done

Credits:
dordodim for the sbf file.
Motorola for the awesome phone, usb drivers and RSDLite (Thanks Ron for pointing out where I could find the USB Drivers and RSDLite)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ms Maharany