Motorola drops Xoom order, No more Xooms after June.

Status
Not open for further replies.

timmyboy188

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
I don't care what they do, I've got my Xoom. I've been such a hardcore Apple fan, but something deep inside me said "get the Xoom, stop being a complete d-bag, if you get an iPad, you will have an Apple laptop, tablet and phone, and you will grow tits and manifest a Bieber dew in a matter of hours"

So I went out and got a Xoom, thanks gut feeling. 5 days stong and no tits, or Bieber-degeneres dew.

nikeair_221

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
I think everyone who get's a Xoom will still be fine regardless. Most of the new tablets coming out in June have the same specs as the Xoom has now already unless weight is a huge factor for you.

My only question is would the updates for Honeycomb in the future come from Google or do we have to rely on Motorola to send them out to us?

Sander#AC

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
what do you disagree with?
I would rather all android phones be pure google experiences.
Google doesn't seem to share my preference.

With the nature of it being open source, the manufacturers have the right to develop their own methods of distributing the software. If Google would restrict this it would be more like iOS?

I agree that it would be nice to have pure Google all the time, for sure, unfortunately manufacturers don't see it this way. It would be nice if you could have the choice as a consumer. Like during the first boot you can choose to have the manufacturers version, or pure.

However, the only way currently to do this is through rooting as far as I understand, which is besides the point.

I was merely stating that Google decides on one manufacturer to display the latest version of an OS, and then the other manufacturers choose to adopt it, or not. I agree with your point of view that it should be "pure" as a lot of stuff on my Desire HD for example I would never use, stuff that HTC put on it. I don't want to root my phone because it voids my warranty, but if they said "hey, you want pure google?" I'd definitely go for it!

slinky317

Oct 18, 2009
Visit site
Remember those "unconfirmed reports" that said the HTC Incredible would be discontinued a few months after release? Yeah, ok.

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Here's some food for thought, real quick.

If Motorola was pulling the Xoom because it has failed so miserably, why are they advertising on prime television programs, like American Idol?

It doesn't make any sense to spend that kind of marketing money on a "failed" product.

coreymcl

Oct 15, 2009
Visit site
Regardless of what Digitimes "sources" said. I believe things are looking up for Xoom owners and those looking at getting one. The promised flash support was delivered quickly and we will soon have LTE support. Do not underestimate LTE support, it is blazing fast just as the commercials say.

Besides all these CTIA tablet announcements are also positive for Xoom users. The more devices are released more and more developers will release honeycomb apps. Also unless I missed an announcement today none of them will be on Verizon and support LTE so the Xoom sales will benefit from that as well.

These are the reasons I believe that are keeping would-be customers from picking one up.

FFR

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
Remember those "unconfirmed reports" that said the HTC Incredible would be discontinued a few months after release? Yeah, ok.

you mean because of the amoled shortage lol. Yes that is the exact same situation with the xoom.
wasn't there demand for the incredible at the time

FFR

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
Here's some food for thought, real quick.

If Motorola was pulling the Xoom because it has failed so miserably, why are they advertising on prime television programs, like American Idol?

It doesn't make any sense to spend that kind of marketing money on a "failed" product.

marketing budgets and strategies are worked out before the launch of a product.
But if i am not mistaken doesn't verizon foot the bill for tv ads.

Verizon Releases New Motorola XOOM Ad, Weird Spaceship Transformation Included - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

bbalz

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Man you simply don't stop. Do you always put so much attention into an unproven report from one site? Just curious.

slinky317

Oct 18, 2009
Visit site
Not at 600 Dollars
Not with the competition

Really? How many people have we seen that said "I'm waiting for the WiFi Xoom"?

Edit: After looking through your post history, it's obvious you're here for one reason: to hate on the Xoom and/or Android in general. Nevermind, you're not worth replying to anymore.

This was also added to the original BGR story:

UPDATE: Motorola just gave us a statement on the DigiTimes report, letting us know that their report isn’t accurate, and Motorola is continuing to manufacture the Motorola XOOM. Well, there you have it!

Last edited:

FFR

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
Really? How many people have we seen that said "I'm waiting for the WiFi Xoom"?

Edit: After looking through your post history, it's obvious you're here for one reason: to hate on the Xoom and/or Android in general. Nevermind, you're not worth replying to anymore.

This was also added to the original BGR story:

after looking at your post history, you don't even have a xoom do you.
Nevermind, you're not worth replying to anymore.

Did you think motorola would come out and say xoom sales have been less than stellar and we don't have any orders after june.

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
It is totally illogical to say anything about Xoom production as a whole until all models, including European, have been released to the market. No analyst or source worth their salt would report on any statistics yet. Like I said before, it hasn't even been 30 days and there are a ton of primetime TV commercials (which I'm sure Moto partly subsidizes). Why would a premier partner, such as Verizon, continue to spend so much money if Moto was stopping the Xoom? Do you think they wouldn't tell them?

slinky317

Oct 18, 2009
Visit site
Let's look at the evidence we have for both sides of the debate, shall we?

Evidence that the Xoom will continue production:

• Upcoming European release
  • Upcoming WiFi-only release
  • Leaks of Sprint-branded Xoom
  • Motorola's statement that they are not discontinuing production

Evidence that the Xoom will cease production:

• A short article from a site posting an uncorroborated rumor with unnamed sources

FFR

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
It is totally illogical to say anything about Xoom production as a whole until all models, including European, have been released to the market. No analyst or source worth their salt would report on any statistics yet. Like I said before, it hasn't even been 30 days and there are a ton of primetime TV commercials (which I'm sure Moto partly subsidizes). Why would a premier partner, such as Verizon, continue to spend so much money if Moto was stopping the Xoom? Do you think they wouldn't tell them?

well the wifi is launching in a couple of days, care to wager on how many people are going to line up for it.

bbalz

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
TO ALL: DNFTT

I have no issues with people posting this but he's obviously trying to get a rise out of people now. Let's end this thread and play more Angry Birds Rio :p

Status
Not open for further replies.