Motorola Targa/Bionic ? Targa Sufficiently Ladened With Advanced Technology

Castor Troy

Banned
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Let's be clear though, the gentleman/leak (wnrussell) over at HoFo that CK quoted is also a leaker himself...and a darn reliable one.

Exactly. I don't know BMX but I do "know" wnrussell, Winston and xbernaut over at HoFo and when those guys leak info you can take it to the bank.

I don't beat the drum for just anyone but these guys are the real deal. Never wrong and always accurate.....

Sent from my Droid

DolfanCole

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
Nope. Tegra is being pointed at as the cause of all the problems, so I doubt they would choose another Tegra if they've had to cancel a handset because of a previous generation processor.

I've heard that the Tegra 2 is the problem as well (probably from the same sources). But, what's curious is how Motorola then plans on updating the XOOMs to LTE. Are they going to swap out the chipset when they add in the LTE radio? That seems a little too much. Anyway, it brings a little doubt in that the Tegra 2 is really the culprit.

Preach2k

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
I've heard that the Tegra 2 is the problem as well (probably from the same sources). But, what's curious is how Motorola then plans on updating the XOOMs to LTE. Are they going to swap out the chipset when they add in the LTE radio? That seems a little too much. Anyway, it brings a little doubt in that the Tegra 2 is really the culprit.

I am thinking maybe when you return your Xoom for the 4G upgrade. They can switch the Dual Core chips as well with a OMAP dual core Chip.

Preach2k

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
yea... i really doubt that

If I purchased the XOOM with the promised of 4G and the 4G does not work because of the the Tegra Dual Core chips you put inside. Then you would have to do 2 things replace the Dual core Chip or give me my money back..

Last edited:

DolfanCole

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
If I purchased the XOOM with the promised of 4G and the 4G does not work because of the the Tegra Dual Core chips you put inside. The you would have to do 2 things replace the Dual core Chip or give me my money back..

And that begs the question, is it really the Tegra chipset?

I think Motorola is eating a lot of money on the XOOM and Bionic. They went down a road pretty far, spending a lot of money, and may have to turn around and take another road and spend more money. I'd bet they've lost quite a bit of profit, and maybe even operating under a loss for some time with respect to these two devices.

Mooem

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
And that begs the question, is it really the Tegra chipset?

I guess we'll find out this summer. I can imagine the panic they'll have if they can't get the Tegra chipset to jive with LTE. It'll be a big PR mess if anything since one of their selling points and justification for the $800 price tag on the 3G Xoom is the fact owners will be upgraded to 4G.

DolfanCole

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
I guess we'll find out this summer. I can imagine the panic they'll have if they can't get the Tegra chipset to jive with LTE. It'll be a big PR mess if anything since one of their selling points and justification for the $800 price tag on the 3G Xoom is the fact owners will be upgraded to 4G.

From a recent post in the "Bionic LIVES" thread, BMX alludes to issues between the Tegra and LTE (says they work "fine" with each other, it's just one's definition of "fine" that may get in the way). It looks like Motorola is going through this battle right now and it may end up that a new, or 2nd gen, LTE radio is developed and is backfitted into the XOOM (and Bionic) that works better than just "fine". :)

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
From a recent post in the "Bionic LIVES" thread, BMX alludes to issues between the Tegra and LTE (says they work "fine" with each other, it's just one's definition of "fine" that may get in the way). It looks like Motorola is going through this battle right now and it may end up that a new, or 2nd gen, LTE radio is developed and is backfitted into the XOOM (and Bionic) that works better than just "fine". :)

It sounded more like Tegra could not handle the handoff between LTE and 3G, and that was the source of all of the issues. By the time they issue the Motorola LTE update, they very likely could have it figured out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thephilster001