Motorola X Phone

GopherDroid

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
No moto is a completely separate company. Only difference between them and any other manufacturers is that Google knows their profit numbers and can choose to change their management.

Other than that, there is no difference. They have to bid on Google business just like everyone else. They can choose not to work for Google and Google can choose not to give them business. And there is very limited discussion between them before contracts are granted because of compliance laws.

I know all this because I work for a company with the exact same relationship.

The reason Google probably got moto was for their patents. Not the mediocre manufacturer that was attached with them. Moto still has some of the most broad cell phone patents around which are advantageous in both royalties and defending yourself in court

Sent from my ADR6425LVW

Right, so Moto doesn't do it how Google wants it done, *poof* management change.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Contractually they can not give moto any advantages for five years. The last, and I mean last thing they want to do is piss off the chinese

Sent from the nexus of the Android world, the SGS3.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
ZTE isn't the issue. To buy moto, Google had to agree to certain terms with the chinese. If they break that agreement the government can potentially cut them off from a BILLION consumers. There are penalties that I am sure are written into the contract, but the bigger penalties are how difficult the government can make it to access Google product and equipment. Heck they could redirect Google Web properties into oblivion.

They can't just do what they want with moto.

Last edited:

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Besides you are forgetting about the juggernaut that is huewai or however you spell it.... :)

craZDude

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
Weren't you the one who said there was an issue? If you're not sure about Motorola's presence in China, then couldn't it be possible that Motorola doesn't have much of a presence then?

macewank

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
I'm really hoping this Motorola X stuff ends up being more of a *platform* and not just a couple of devices. A continuing range of devices that follow the same form factor, build quality, software, etc... basically, make them into Android's iDevice. Consistency #1.

Stock android for sure. Bootloader? They could lock it or unlock it. I'm not sure I really care one way or the other, so long as it's a stock experience. A non removable battery would help with the form factor, and I think I'm OK with that as long as it's got ample power. The only time I ever take the battery out of my GNex is when the stupid thing locks up and I have to reboot it. Obviously, the specs will need to be on par with the latest and greatest when it hits.

Oh, and I need to be able to buy it from the Google Play Store off contract. Because Unlimited data.

craZDude

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
I'm really hoping this Motorola X stuff ends up being more of a *platform* and not just a couple of devices. A continuing range of devices that follow the same form factor, build quality, software, etc... basically, make them into Android's iDevice. Consistency #1.

Stock android for sure. Bootloader? They could lock it or unlock it. I'm not sure I really care one way or the other, so long as it's a stock experience. A non removable battery would help with the form factor, and I think I'm OK with that as long as it's got ample power. The only time I ever take the battery out of my GNex is when the stupid thing locks up and I have to reboot it. Obviously, the specs will need to be on par with the latest and greatest when it hits.

Oh, and I need to be able to buy it from the Google Play Store off contract. Because Unlimited data.

This phone or series of phones won't be stock. Then original rumor is saying that the skin will be on top of the stock OS. Again, this is not a nexus phone, and it doesn't make sense to release a phone that is stock when it's not a nexus. While stock may be clean, skins add differentiating features.

I would guess that it won't be available from the Google play store for the same reason: it isn't a nexus. Google won't sell it directly because it isn't a Google phone, it's a Motorola phone.

I'm not saying I wouldn't be happy if it were available cheaply off contract, but especially the Verizon version will not be available cheaply off contract.

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
Right. This is a MOTOROLA phone, not a Nexus. People keep talking like it's going to be a Nexus.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

macewank

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
People also keep discrediting people by saying "its not a nexus" and for the most part, while the statement is true they're using it on the wrong argument.

Being a Nexus device has nothing to do with unlocked bootloaders and stock android. Those 2 things are features of a Nexus phone, but having those features do not make it a Nexus device.

What makes a Nexus a Nexus? Readily available stock images for reverting your device, readily available kernel and driver software that can be integrated easily into AOSP code, sold directly to consumers by Google.

So yeah, its not going to be a Nexus. But that doesn't mean it can't be stock, can't be unlocked, etc... My wish for being able to buy it off of the play store is obviously a pipe dream but there's no reason why my other wishes aren't realistic.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
Crazy they just came out with the Nexus 4

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

When the Nexus 4 came out you didn't say but they just came out with the RAZR HD did you? It has nothing to do with the Nexus 4, but I give up lol.

People also keep discrediting people by saying "its not a nexus" and for the most part, while the statement is true they're using it on the wrong argument.

Being a Nexus device has nothing to do with unlocked bootloaders and stock android. Those 2 things are features of a Nexus phone, but having those features do not make it a Nexus device.

What makes a Nexus a Nexus? Readily available stock images for reverting your device, readily available kernel and driver software that can be integrated easily into AOSP code, sold directly to consumers by Google.

So yeah, its not going to be a Nexus. But that doesn't mean it can't be stock, can't be unlocked, etc... My wish for being able to buy it off of the play store is obviously a pipe dream but there's no reason why my other wishes aren't realistic.

I believe it will have Blur, but other than that I totally agree with you.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

craZDude

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site

Alrighty. I'm saying it won't be stock because of 1. The original leak said it wouldn't be stock, and 2. What phone from one of the major OEM's has been stock in the past year? Heck, I'm the past two years? In America, the only phones that are stock are nexuses. This is not very true of tablets, but phones are never stock when they aren't nexuses.

In terms of it being unlocked, I agree, not being a nexus doesn't necessarily mean that it won't be unlocked and available off-contract, but that simply hasn't been the modus operandum for any phones other than nexuses here in the states. I much more strongly believe this phone will be far more similar to the Galaxy S 3 in how it is released, how it is marketed, and how Motorola tries to brand it.

You also mentioned unlocked bootloaders. No phones come with unlocked bootloaders, not even nexuses. You do have to unlock them yourself. Motorola may make it easy or difficult to unlock the bootloader of this phone, but if it's popular enough I couldn't imagine there not being development for it one way or another.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aitana135332