Moto's Bionic LIVES!

Bearly

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Everyone Tweet the WSJ article at Motorola and say that an unlocked, unencrypted bootloader is what we want!

I bet they're adding more RAM...AND I bet the Tegra2 doesn't play nice with the LTE antenna, so they need to tweak the chipset to not draw so much power...in typical corporate fashion, that could very well be the "feature" (i.e. a bug that needs to be killed else it kills the product launch).

I don't see anything hardware related that would cost much to remanufacture, i.e. chassis, display, etc. Whatever the cheapest hardware upgrade could be in terms of altering the manufacturing process, that will be the most feasible hardware upgrades that Moto would incorporate, else I bet most of these features will be software-based. It's just too expensive a move to "scrap" a phone like this unless mass production hasn't even started, and I doubt that if they were planning on a release this soon.

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
Verizon does not write the update Samsung does and if they take their sweet time with an update getting it to Verizon or electing not to update it at all there is not really anything Verizon can do.

Samsung promised updates for The Galaxy S series "soon" when they launched them last summer and fall. They didn't even update their own original Galaxy S (European version) until Jan 2011 (6 months after it was launched) and the others got their updates trickling in since then with the Fascinate getting it just the other day.

How much of that further delay was caused by Samsung and how much it was caused by VZW's own testing we will never know for sure but one things for sure they certainly were not in any hurry to do so. No one in their right mind would equate soon = 6-8 months from now. Last September the Fascinate was a flagship device (even without the Droid name) and ever since then it has become a joke.

I agree that a "Droid" series device not getting any updates would be bad for the brand but remember Droid Eris? There is absolutely NO reason the Eris could not have gotten Froyo officially (numerous third party ROM's exist) but they simply chose to abandon it.

Ok lets be real about this how long do you think it takes samsung to strip google out of an os and implement bing search maps vz navigator and whatever vzw wanted in their I have a d2 and fascinate sitting side by side and I will say this their is no comparison on how much crap vzw put on the fascinate. Now am I saying samsung is without fault of course no the fascinate should be seeing 2.3 leaks right now but to say samsung is totally at fault no way vzw is screwing the pooch also that's why I won't look at a binged android phone again

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
Ok lets be real about this how long do you think it takes samsung to strip google out of an os and implement bing search maps vz navigator and whatever vzw wanted in their I have a d2 and fascinate sitting side by side and I will say this their is no comparison on how much crap vzw put on the fascinate. Now am I saying samsung is without fault of course no the fascinate should be seeing 2.3 leaks right now but to say samsung is totally at fault no way vzw is screwing the pooch also that's why I won't look at a binged android phone again

Do you remember the first three phones (after the Nexus One) to get Froyo last summer?

Evo 4G
Moto Droid
HTC Incredible

They got them mid summer 6-8 weeks after the Froyo code was released. Two of these phones have Sense which is much more in depth of a UI replacement than TouchWiz (even if you add the crap). They got it done that fast because it was a priority. The Fascinate never has been.

I never said that Verizon did not have any blame here since they most definitely do but understand now software development works. The Samsung Galaxy S series phones, with the exception of the radios have more or less the same guts inside of different shells. They are all based upon the original European version of the phone. In a situation like that no software developer in their right mind would develop 7 or 8 different sets of software at the same time. They would and do develop it for the original version and then port it to the others. Specifically they do the original Galaxy S and then when that is more or less done port it to the Captivate and then the others (traces of code written for the Captivate have been found in leaked versions of other phones software).

The original version of the Galaxy S got Froyo in January. That means it was probably in release candidate status (when it would be logical to fork the software) some time in December. That is most likely when the development on the Captivate began and then some time after that the Fascinate and others. We don't know exactly in what order or what ones may have been worked on more or less at the same time but sine Captivate and Epic were the first to leak and to be released it is logical to assume the were started first. Yes Verizon and their crap-ware deserve some of the blame for the delay BUT they really only made a bad situation worse.

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
But tell me what were the first few phones to get gb. Yes Samsung sucks at getting timely updates out especially in the US. It could be anywhere from poor coding to trying to code froyo-gingerbread for the galaxy s series phones that have different hardware and carrier restrictions. Will I put Samsung up their with htc no not even close but seeing they have gb out for their european phones they can't suck that much

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
But tell me what were the first few phones to get gb. Yes Samsung sucks at getting timely updates out especially in the US. It could be anywhere from poor coding to trying to code froyo-gingerbread for the galaxy s series phones that have different hardware and carrier restrictions. Will I put Samsung up their with htc no not even close but seeing they have gb out for their european phones they can't suck that much

Samsung got it first because it was the new Nexus device plain and simple. If Motorola or Sony had made the Nexus 2 (under whatever name it was given) they would have gotten it first. This means nothing about Samsung's priorities when it comes to updating their handset line.

With the exception of the one with the ticker and the keyboard the guts (which are the thing you need to be concerned about with software updates) and the screen are nearly identical on all of the Galaxy S series phones. Carrier requirements take tome to address true but they are not THAT complicated. It did not take then EIGHT MONTHS to remove Google Maps and Google Search and add Bing (which were available separately already) search and maps.

Jasper

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
Okay, Is there really no news out there??? This is driving me nuts!!! No Spec Rumors, No new Pics, no word, no nothing... AGGHHH!!!!!!!

Jasper

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
:'( Can someone start a good rumor then??? lol, I'm in serious need for an information leak... The waiting game sucks when your phone is F'd up.

Oxn

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Ok my gut feeling is saying that the new Bionic will release in November or after because of this news.

Motorola to begin beta testing rugged Android tablet, steps up enterprise efforts -- Engadget

If Bionic will be Targa, then itll likely use the OMAP chip. In that article they said they will start beta testing that new Tablet that will use the OMAP chip. We havent heard much of that OMAP chip yet, so if testings are beginning in October for that Tablet, then i dont see Bionic, if it uses the OMAP chip be releasing earlier than that.

BigDFSU

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
Ok my gut feeling is saying that the new Bionic will release in November or after because of this news.

Motorola to begin beta testing rugged Android tablet, steps up enterprise efforts -- Engadget

If Bionic will be Targa, then itll likely use the OMAP chip. In that article they said they will start beta testing that new Tablet that will use the OMAP chip. We havent heard much of that OMAP chip yet, so if testings are beginning in October for that Tablet, then i dont see Bionic, if it uses the OMAP chip be releasing earlier than that.

I think that might be a bit of a stretch.

First we don't know anything about their tests for OMAP, that article is just talking about the total package for the tablet which includes other features other tablets don't have. That is why testing won't start until October for that tablet.

Plus Moto recently saying that the Bionic will be released this summer makes November quite a bit of a jump. Sure it can get delayed, but I really doubt they let it fall back that late where it then won't be all that exciting of a device. There will probably be other Verizon devices by that point with the features that have people excited now about Bionic. Plus if you start reaching November then a lot of people are just going to decide to wait a little bit longer for some of the devices expected in early 2012.

Preach2k

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site

Motorola is a big company they have a division for tablet as well as phones. They can test both at the same time. Also How do you know they have not been testing it on the Targa already. Remember pictures of the Targa was leaked at the same time as the DX2 , and the DX2 will be released soon. So if the Targa is the phone That replaces the Bionic it can still be released this Summer. Until I hear otherwise from the Panda or Motorola, or Verizon. That is when I am looking for this phone Bionic/Targa to be released.

DolfanCole

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
Motorola is a big company they have a division for tablet as well as phones. They can test both at the same time. Also How do you know they have not been testing it on the Targa already. Remember pictures of the Targa was leaked at the same time as the DX2 , and the DX2 will be released soon. So if the Targa is the phone That replaces the Bionic it can still be released this Summer. Until I hear otherwise from the Panda or Motorola, or Verizon. That is when I am looking for this phone Bionic/Targa to be released.

Yep, I agree with you. I think testing must have already started on the Targa and it's rumored use of the OMAP chipset. Good thing too is that Panda is back to tweeting after giving it up for lent.

Jasper

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
Has he tweeted anything about the Bionic? And I still find it hard to believe they have left the Picture of the Bionic up on the Moto Website for this long if they are just going to wait until its time to release and Drop the Targa on people. That seems a little fishy to me. Especially for people who like the looks of the Bionic but dislike the Targa. Just seems wrong.

Here people keep waiting for this Phone to come out, it looks like this.... 6 months later it drops and looks like something totally different. I know appearances mean more to some than others but they shouldn't have left the picture up if its going to change form that much.

DolfanCole

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
Has he tweeted anything about the Bionic? And I still find it hard to believe they have left the Picture of the Bionic up on the Moto Website for this long if they are just going to wait until its time to release and Drop the Targa on people. That seems a little fishy to me. Especially for people who like the looks of the Bionic but dislike the Targa. Just seems wrong.

Here people keep waiting for this Phone to come out, it looks like this.... 6 months later it drops and looks like something totally different. I know appearances mean more to some than others but they shouldn't have left the picture up if its going to change form that much.

No tweets yet, but he did mention that he was working on a blog. Not sure if it'll be anything new or just more insight on what happened.

Oxn

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site

Makes sense, you would think Motorola would take down the pic or site after it released its statement.

But........ on the new Xoom video (lazy to find video), where its showing off the Xoom capabilities, it was on the Motorola website, and Bionic was missing from list. It had Atrix, Cliq2, and some other thing.

Oxn

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Looks like the Bionic with some resemblance tot he Droid X. Must be the updated version of the Bionic.

I would like a full pciture, but if it looks how im imagining itll look full sized, then its an acceptable alternative to original Bionic form factor.

Jasper

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
I like it better than the hump. I still prefer black over the chrome look, but ill take chrome look over the hump... Would also like to see a full picture.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crowoverhoe