Moving apps to external storage with Moto G5

JSmith222221

Jun 1, 2019
Visit site
I have a Moto G5 phone with 16 gb internal storage, and a 64 gb micro SD card. The 16 gb internal storage on its own isn't enough for me to install the apps I want, and formatting the SD card as internal storage raises a whole load of issues that prevent it from being an option. Is there any way I can install/move apps to an external SD card?

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Later versions of Android (like the Moto G5 series) do not support moving apps to the SD card. The only options are to use adopted storage or root and an app like App2SD.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Several of the adoptable storage problems still exist when moving apps to the SD card the old fashion way. You'll still risk early data corruption, slower performance, and you'll also still have some of the app remaining on internal storage.

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Several of the adoptable storage problems still exist when moving apps to the SD card the old fashion way. You'll still risk early data corruption, slower performance, and you'll also still have some of the app remaining on internal storage.
This is absolutely true... I didn't mean to imply that was a preferred solution.

It is best to keep apps on internal storage, and move any "data" like music, videos, photos, documents, etc to the external storage. If that doesn't provide enough space, then you may have chosen a less than optimal device for your needs.