MSL / How to Root

WakeUpC22

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
!!!! READ ME !!!!
This is a very shorthand guide of a difficult procedure I outlined on android forums (WhisperPntr). I am reposting it here because even though it is very technical and can be absolutely frustrating, it is rewarding not to have to call in. That said even though this procedure is safe (it will not damage your phone or write over your data) it is again demanding in terms of your time. It does require you to be logged in as the "Administrator" account (unless you're running 7 ultimate or xp) and because this is a low level procedure the data you pull is often inaccurate.

So this means that you may get:
1) corrupt full sized bins
2) garbled data even on correct bin pulls
3) hardware/software troubleshooting to get the program to work
4) issues when not run with full administrative rights

If done correctly you will get this on your first try which I did. But this procedure may soon be obsolete as the ins and outs of this phone are slowly being discovered.

Prerequisites
Full administrative rights
Ownership over a QPST installation
Optimus Elite in development mode on stock, (build zv4.gwk74, android 2.3.7, kernel 2.6.35.11)
LGVM696 drivers correctly installed (either install it from LG update tools or download this zip LGVM696.zip)
A hex editor (I use this http://mh-nexus.de/downloads/HxDSetupEN.zip)

Again, ensure that you've met the prerequisites, that your drivers are correctly installed, and that your system and QPST can see your phone's com port in download mode (from a powered off phone hold volume rocker down then connect USB cord) .

MSL
1) Power up your Elite normally, Dial ##DATA# , click on "Data Profile" then click edit, and enter 000000 twice. The phone should shut down
2) Unplug the usb cord
3) Enter Download Mode, Volume rocker switch held down while plugging in the USB cord.
4) Check QPST Config, remove then readd the port, then open up Memory Debug.
5) Enable Use Unframed Memory Reads click get regions and until all the optional bins. You need to open up ebi0_cs0.bin in a Hex Editor.
6) Find the hex offset near 07496A80 to locate the 6 digit msl.

ROOT
[Exclusive] How To Root The Virgin Mobile LG Optimus Elite[/I]

Last edited:

aaronrw

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
Really appreciate all the work going into this. Can't wait for an easier method however, I'm a Lil scared to do this at the moment:what:

Sent from my LG-VM696 using Tapatalk 2

WakeUpC22

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
Re: MSL

Thank you and this procedure while daunting does nothing to your phone. The most dangerous (if you can even call it that) is giving yourself full administrative rights and ownership though that poses a danger to your computer not your phone

Reactions: aaronrw

curtis1973

King Of Pants
Aug 7, 2011
Visit site
Really appreciate all the work going into this. Can't wait for an easier method however, I'm a Lil scared to do this at the moment:what:

ive decided to wait just a bit longer before rooting to see if alternative methods surface. but that may not occur due to how this phone is built software wise. if nothing pops up in a month,ill probably give this a run through.

Sent from my LG-VM696 using Android Central Forums

aaronrw

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
ive decided to wait just a bit longer before rooting to see if alternative methods surface. but that may not occur due to how this phone is built software wise. if nothing pops up in a month,ill probably give this a run through.

Sent from my LG-VM696 using Android Central Forums

Not looking promising on the development end. MAYBE we'll see something pop up soon. I wish I'd held out for the one V. It's getting great reviews.

neocrypter

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Ive tried this method several times and I can never seem to get it to work, the easiest way by far to get your msl is to call vm and tell them you are getting error 67 which is a data error you get this by trying to turn on mobile hotspot it breaks 3g only way to fix it is to do a factory reset which you need the msl for vm will give it to you as a matter of fact this is the only headset that they are allowed to give it out for from what the rep i spoke with told me.

EDIT: I finally got this method to work though, i must say it is very tricky now on to the next part figuring out rooting the darn thing having some problems with lg's tool freezing when it starts

Last edited:

kwknott

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Use this to make sure lgnpst is installed correctly

Installing LGNPST

1. Extract LG-LGNPST12.rar

2. Install LGNPST_General_v1.2_Lab_Version

3. Reboot

4. Install LGNPST_Components_Ver_5_0_12_0 - If it fails the first time run it again

5. Install LGNPST_GenericModels_Ver_5_0_10_0

6. Copy LGNPST.exe and the model folder to C:\LG ELECTRONICS\LGNPST

7. Copy VM696.DLL and the .tot file from the root zip to C:\LG Electronics\LGNPST\Model

8. Open command prompt as administrator and run the following command

regsvr32.exe "c:\lg electronics\lgnpst\model\vm696.dll"

9. Run LGNPST.exe from the C:\lg electronics\lgnpst.... Do not run the lgnpst_general shortcut placed in your start menu

curtis1973

King Of Pants
Aug 7, 2011
Visit site
yeah this root method is undesirable to say the least. but with that said,its better than nothing i guess. atleast we have root and can make some changes. so itll do for now. as for making this purchase. i am having some regrets. the phone would be awesome,but as always lg and vm loaded it down with pure bullsh*t to say the least. and it seriously needs an update from lg/vm to fix issues it has. which will probably never occur considering the update track record of these tight asses lol

ThatTechHead

Aug 29, 2012
Visit site
I actually had to call in and get my msl after installing quick settings and getting error 67. I wrote it down because I knew I would need it.

Sent from my LG Optimus Elite, bone stock.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
delgerjargal