Multitasking solution, without needing to root (I think!)

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site
I read this on the xda forums and it has actually helped me...

1) go to settings > developer option > scroll down to apps section
2) check "dont keep activities" (if its already checked, then you know what your problem is)
3) press home button (sense will reload) then restart phone
4) once phone has restarted, go back to developer options and uncheck "dont keep activities"
5) again press home button (sense reloads) and restart the phone.

The multitasking should be more (much more) acceptable now, though still not what I was truly expecting from this phone... I really don't know how this works but it really does and certainly worked for me. Play store, maps, notes app, dropbox background download etc. all work fine, play store and maps, after a day, were frozen where I left off. Even Youtube works (it pauses the video and allows you to resume from where you left off, though it doesn't continue downloading/buffering) so long as its amongst the four most recent apps used and you switch back to it within 5 minutes.

This method is still not perfect, many games restart, though I found out that if the game is the only app in your recent app menu, you can return to it even after 15 minutes, it will still be where you left it (I tried a game called Ace Tripeaks, which before the fix, never ever resumed from where I left it, even if I switched back after 2 seconds!!). Some of the more popular games, like Angry Birds and Fruit Ninja work fine, but most don't.

Internet browser unfortunately still a problem, but much better. Doesn't reload as quickly and aggresively as before, you can easily switch back after 5 mins and not get a reload, so long as you have only 1 or 2 other apps running (using Dolphin browser). People on these forums are saying Firefox helps, so you might want to try that out.

I also use an app to watch Bollywood movies which still restarts the whole video if I leave.

But I must say multitasking really is much better than it was before. To people on these forums saying this problem doesn't exist, trust me it does, I was affected by it, I only joined AC to be able to click links to find a solution to this problem. I really hope this helps anyone who is having this problem.

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
Sense didn't reload for me the first time, but did when I then unchecked that option.
So I will see if it makes any difference.

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
Second reply... Now I am going to launch something else... Like Gmail and return to this message and see if my text remains in the form...
It did seem to help. I was able to check Gmail and twitter and return to the home screen and then come back to this unfinished message in the browser and pick up where I left off.

:D

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
Oh snap I think it worked!

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums

Did you see both Sense reloads?
I only saw one, I didn't see the reload after I checked the option, which leads me to believe that the option was already on, even though the check box didn't show it. Since it was (secretly) on, I changed nothing, ans Sense saw no reason to reload.

I did see the reload the second time, when I turned this option off.

Sent from my HOX

xXBLACKBERRYXx5

May 18, 2012
Visit site
Did you see both Sense reloads?
I only saw one, I didn't see the reload after I checked the option, which leads me to believe that the option was already on, even though the check box didn't show it. Since it was (secretly) on, I changed nothing, ans Sense saw no reason to reload.

I did see the reload the second time, when I turned this option off.

Sent from my HOX

I saw both broski

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
By the way, this "Internal" setting out of sync with "Displayed" setting is something I've encountered on other versions of android on other devices on other controls and checkboxes.

I first saw this on my Nexus One, 3 years ago.

xXBLACKBERRYXx5

May 18, 2012
Visit site
Hmm... the constant web reloading has stopped at least. Haven't really tried out other stuff but I'll see.

And the phone feels a bit faster too :eek:

It honestly does. I was gonna post that but didn't wanna be the only one that noticed it Lol

furygoalbrtis39

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I read this on the xda forums and it has actually helped me...

1) go to settings > developer option > scroll down to apps section
2) check "dont keep activities" (if its already checked, then you know what your problem is)
3) press home button (sense will reload) then restart phone
4) once phone has restarted, go back to developer options and uncheck "dont keep activities"
5) again press home button (sense reloads) and restart the phone.

The multitasking should be more (much more) acceptable now, though still not what I was truly expecting from this phone... I really don't know how this works but it really does and certainly worked for me. Play store, maps, notes app, dropbox background download etc. all work fine, play store and maps, after a day, were frozen where I left off. Even Youtube works (it pauses the video and allows you to resume from where you left off, though it doesn't continue downloading/buffering) so long as its amongst the four most recent apps used and you switch back to it within 5 minutes.

This method is still not perfect, many games restart, though I found out that if the game is the only app in your recent app menu, you can return to it even after 15 minutes, it will still be where you left it (I tried a game called Ace Tripeaks, which before the fix, never ever resumed from where I left it, even if I switched back after 2 seconds!!). Some of the more popular games, like Angry Birds and Fruit Ninja work fine, but most don't.

Internet browser unfortunately still a problem, but much better. Doesn't reload as quickly and aggresively as before, you can easily switch back after 5 mins and not get a reload, so long as you have only 1 or 2 other apps running (using Dolphin browser). People on these forums are saying Firefox helps, so you might want to try that out.

I also use an app to watch Bollywood movies which still restarts the whole video if I leave.

But I must say multitasking really is much better than it was before. To people on these forums saying this problem doesn't exist, trust me it does, I was affected by it, I only joined AC to be able to click links to find a solution to this problem. I really hope this helps anyone who is having this problem.

You sir are a genius. I give you 1 million theoretical dollars (anyone know what that's from?)

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

jdot104

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
Beautiful! Works like a charm now. I'm going to (almost) forgive HTC. :)

Last edited:

xXBLACKBERRYXx5

May 18, 2012
Visit site
And just think about all the s3 owners that use to be hox owners but changed because of the multitasking.

dylan808

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Anyone know the whole technical reason why this method works? Doing this improved multitasking for me. but im just wondering how this fixes things in general?

jess.hickey

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
Anyone know the whole technical reason why this method works? Doing this improved multitasking for me. but im just wondering how this fixes things in general?

Someone mentioned above that it has something to do with the internal setting not being what is displayed. So from what I gather is it was set to not keep activities even though that isn't what was displayed and we went through the process of turning it off.

Reactions: dylan808

calvin35

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Someone mentioned above that it has something to do with the internal setting not being what is displayed. So from what I gather is it was set to not keep activities even though that isn't what was displayed and we went through the process of turning it off.

Wow. If thats thats all it takes them that us great news! Can someone try a process that uses a lot of RAM, like a flash heavy Web Page with another app still open. Does the phone slow down? Also what is available RAM when you have something like the browser and the market open at the same time?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
addrom