multitasking

cherylbaker

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
Ok got my phone and of all the things I do not like about the phone multitasking us the biggest.. So my question.. Since the s3 does not have since it Will not have thus correct.. And is this solved via routing or running apex or nova?
Thanks

mazzmoney95

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
No the S3 doesnt have the multitasking problem. But yes the problem can be solved on the EVO (as far as i know) by rooting and flashing an AOSP or AOKP rom. as of now those ROMs arent fully featured. Most are missing either text messaging or data.

Saneless

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I think HTC either needs to recall these phones and add more RAM or put out the full set of code and drivers so devs can do a proper AOSP ROM. Or they could be nice and do one for us.

cloak.n.dagger

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
Nova does not fix the problem. No launcher will fix the problem. Sense 4.0 is the problem and until you get a ROM without Sense 4.0 or until HTC fixes Sense 4.0, the issue will remain.

cherylbaker

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
Sorry for sounding dumb but what is aosp and aokp...I do not want to return my phone. I am sitting outside in the bright sun and can see the screen perfectly.. I have heard the s3 has 2 GB of memory but the specs I saw said 1..which is it....

cherylbaker

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
So I started entering this msg and than left to read an email and now I am back and continued right where I left off.. is that not multitasking..

Saneless

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
So I started entering this msg and than left to read an email and now I am back and continued right where I left off.. is that not multitasking..

Depends what you've done. Gmail uses up about 75MB of RAM, which may not have dropped you below the threshold. Now, if you went back to something else after Gmail, like an SMS app, then back here, you might have been in trouble.

Or, if you had 3-4 tabs in your browser and went to GMail, your browser probably would have been closed behind you.

When apps close is very predictable based on what application you open next. Browsers are the biggest usages of RAM so that almost always causes things to drop out of RAM. Also, since it uses a ton of RAM itself, it's almost always likely the first thing to get shut down once you go to another app.

Reactions: martin2332

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
You got lucky. The more things you have running in the background the more likely you are to see the "issue."

And in other cases, you can trigger the issue by just trying to use Google Play to download updates, try to do ANY one other thing, then go back and find Google Play has completely aborted everything and started fresh. (And other times not)

Or reading a web page, check a text message, go back, and you have to wait while it completely re-downloads the entire web page again. (But not always)

It is maddeningly unpredictable.

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
I love this hardware so as far as multitasking goes I'll just carefully run a minimum number of applications. When I keep running apps to a minimum I have little or no problem multitasking. I will continue to do that until either HTC fixes multitasking or I eventually root and flash a pure ICS ROM. Problem solved.

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Well, it doesn't look good. Today I just got back the official/canned response from HTC on my complaint about multitasking and memory management. "There is nothing wrong":

Thank you very much for taking the time to contact HTC Technical Support! Congratulations on your new EVO 4G LTE! I appreciate your interest in multitasking on your new device, and I will gladly provide clarification!

HTC is aware of some questions in the enthusiast community about how the HTC EVO 4G LTE handles multitasking and memory management for background apps. We value the community's input and are always looking for ways to enhance customers' experience with our devices. That said, right now multitasking is operating normally according to our custom memory management specifications which balance core ICS features with a consistent HTC Sense experience.

In the interim, I would like you to check the following, to ensure that your developer options are set up accordingly to maximize the experience on your new device:

Please tap Settings> Developer Options and please set the Application settings to default stock settings.

The default settings are:

Don't Keep Activities is "Disabled"
Background Process Limit is set to "Standard Limit"

I hope this provides clarification

Although it still seems like a waste of time, if you are not happy, I strongly urge people to complain on this page: HTC Smartphones and Tablets - Support for HTC Cell Phones and Tablets

Mercury81

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
I'm very happy with the multi taking feature on this phone... Just saying:);):D:p:thumbup:

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

Darth Mo

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Well, it doesn't look good. Today I just got back the official/canned response from HTC on my complaint about multitasking and memory management. "There is nothing wrong":

Although it still seems like a waste of time, if you are not happy, I strongly urge people to complain on this page: HTC Smartphones and Tablets - Support for HTC Cell Phones and Tablets

I don't know, this reminds me a lot of the frame rate cap issue on the OG Evo.

They said the frame rate for everything had to be capped at 30 fps in order for the HDMI out to function properly and that it was a hardware implementation. However, after a few months of catching flak from enthusiasts, the "hardware limitation" was magically fixed by a software update and everyone was happy.

So, while HTC stands by it now, it's not out of the realm of possibility that they eventually give in and fix it.

solo1

May 31, 2010
Visit site

Seems like alot of people are TRYING to find fault with the phone ... If you are ok with the way HTC Sense handles your phone then thats the final word ... Stop trying to seek what you think you may or may not be missing ... Those of us who have experience TRUE multi tasking and can smell a fake, are the ones who are annoyed ... I am just happy as hell that I not hearing the dreaded question " Should I be using a task killer " .

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Guess what? HTC called me today at work and I talked with a tech for a while. It was mostly the same politically-correct corporate-mandated dogma (this is the design, there is nothing wrong, etc), but after questioning him a while I was able to get the following shaky/read-between-the-lines info:

1) They are very aware of the issues
2) They have received a lot of complaints
3) They believe that only "enthusiasts" are the ones really affected
4) They might be working on trying to make it better

Again, they won't say anything officially, of course. It was nice that they followed up with their promise to call me. I feel a *little* better about it, but not terribly.

Reactions: calvin35

Hurleygm

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I too am annoyed with the way multitasking is handled. Anyone who had a Palm Pre knows what they are missing. It was handled with a lot less ram. I think HTC will fix this eventually. We are early adopters, so we are the Guinea pigs.

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

commonplace

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
I emailed them, posted on their Facebook wall, and tweeted at them. I'm sure nothing will become of it, but I might as well add my voice to the noise. I seriously feel like throwing this thing into a lake. I love everything about it except the multitasking - but that's a huge exception that I can't look past. It ruins my whole experience with this phone. I dearly wish Sprint had a 30-day return window instead of just 14 now, because I would return it if I could and get the Galaxy SIII.

My hopes, in order of likelihood:

1. CM9/AOKP/AOSP-based ROM. Without Sense, I'm sure the phone is perfectly fine.
2. A tweak/mod that fixes the issue with Sense.
3. An official fix from HTC.

I think #3 is the least likely, simply because they're still touting it as "working as intended", which is such an absolutely embarrassment -- who would claim something this pathetic as "working as intended"?

So, we'll see what happens. I'm stuck with the phone for two years now, so hopefully CM9 development proceeds quickly!

/Kevin