Music Streaming Apps

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
If like to get opinions for streaming services for music on your Pixel 6's.

Currently, I am using YouTube Music. I started using it when Google decided to terminate Google Music. I stuck with this service simply because it includes my entire library of CD's that I had transferred into Google Music way back in the olden days, lol.

But, I'm questioning if it still worth it for subscription fees.

I've tried Amazon Music HD before. Unfortunately, it's library isn't as extensive, plus it doesn't have my personal library of music which has music and albums no longer available.

What is your go to music streaming choice and why? What do you feel are pros and cons?

Scott337

Apr 22, 2017
Visit site
For me, YouTube Music. Mainly because I had the Play Music family plan since the day it became available. So we stuck with YouTube Music because of our personal libraries, I share it with the whole family, and the collection seems pretty extensive.I tried Amazon Music (with my Prime account) but found it repeated songs a lot when serving me music it thought I would like (which YT Music does also, just not as frequently). I tried Spotify for a while but volume was very low over Bluetooth with my Jeeps, which tricks and tips online worked temporarily to resolve, but I couldn't deal with the low volume.

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
For me, YouTube Music. Mainly because I had the Play Music family plan since the day it became available. So we stuck with YouTube Music because of our personal libraries, I share it with the whole family, and the collection seems pretty extensive.I tried Amazon Music (with my Prime account) but found it repeated songs a lot when serving me music it thought I would like (which YT Music does also, just not as frequently). I tried Spotify for a while but volume was very low over Bluetooth with my Jeeps, which tricks and tips online worked temporarily to resolve, but I couldn't deal with the low volume.

I tried Spotify for a bit to.

I didn't care for some of the varying of songs either.

lcs101

Nov 18, 2016
Visit site
Browsing my music on a number of these apps is an absolute mess (including Spotify). Crazy that if I like I song, I cannot look it up when browsing by artist or album unless I've also chosen to like those as well. And don't get me started on there being no simple way to shuffle only the music I've liked/favorited from a particular artist on most of them. Apple Music and Amazon are a couple of the only ones that do these correctly (Spotify used to), and Amazon is too glitchy for me, so Apple Music is my current streaming app.

firebirder

Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I use Amazon Music, for a few reasons. I was highly upset with Google for getting rid of Google music and going to YT Music, AND charging for it. I tried using the free version, essentially just allowing me to play a playlist made of purchased music, and YT Music just randomly decided to delete 2/3 of my playlist. And I refuse to pay Google for a lot of what I used to get for free. For whatever reason, I'd rather give my money, in this case, to Amazon rather than Google.

I do pay for Amazon Music and am pretty satisfied with it.

bkdodger2

Jun 3, 2020
Visit site
I'm also on YT music since I have the whole package with YouTube and everything connected and I like to keep it that way. And on Verizon one of my phone plans includes Apple music so I have that as well. And I agree as last poster Apple music on Android is great in my opinion.. I really use Spotify now but I have that one as well for listening

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
I use a mixture of YouTube Music, Spotify and Apple Music. I really can't say one is better than the other for my use, so that's why I keep them all. :)

pseudoware

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Zune and Groove Music, lol

I was a big Windows Phone fan. Been using Amazon Music Unlimited for on demand streaming since Groove was killed off. I used to love Songza for live, or radio streaming, which Google turned into Google Play Music. Live365 is what I use now.

gomezz

May 8, 2021
Visit site
Deezer is what I use for the very occasional music streaming I do. I mainly play rips of music radio programmes using SABP or from my own collection using VLC though.

Aflaaaak

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
Don't mean to hijack your thread Paul, but is there a way to turn an Android phone into an iPod? I too have an old iPod Classic with a huge library of CDs I've ripped over the course of 20 years and would love to load them on a new Pixel 6 and not rely on always having my iPod with me for music. I don't want to rely on anyone's Streaming Service, just play what I load onto my phone's Storage.

Scott337

Apr 22, 2017
Visit site
Don't mean to hijack your thread Paul, but is there a way to turn an Android phone into an iPod? I too have an old iPod Classic with a huge library of CDs I've ripped over the course of 20 years and would love to load them on a new Pixel 6 and not rely on always having my iPod with me for music. I don't want to rely on anyone's Streaming Service, just play what I load onto my phone's Storage.
The VLC app is one option, it will play music that you copy to device storage and requires no internet / cloud access. There are probably other apps like that, but I have VLC on my Pixel 6 (and previous phones) just for that reason, some music that I ripped from CD's.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
The VLC app is one option, it will play music that you copy to device storage and requires no internet / cloud access. There are probably other apps like that, but I have VLC on my Pixel 6 (and previous phones) just for that reason, some music that I ripped from CD's.

Other apps that work are Poweramp Pro and Neutron Music Pro. Both have free trials. I prefer those, since I ripped my music in FLAC or WAV format, not MP3.

Aflaaaak

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site

As in the old VideoLAN Media Player?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I use YouTube Music, which I've come to enjoy more and more. The selection is great, and the suggestions for other artists to try based on my listening have been pretty good. I also have Spotify, mostly because I need to subscribe in order to take advantage of the built-in Spotify in my car, which doesn't support Android Auto. Spotify's selection rival's YouTube Music's, but I find that the auto-playlists that Spotify generates get a little repetitive.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I too use YouTube Music on my Pixel 5 - also because I had all of my purchased songs on Google Play Music and didn't want to lose them when the two apps merged.

What about Spotify? My husband uses it and loves it. He's trying to convince me to use it too, and I just may, but I'm not sure yet.