Must... be... strong...

splmonster

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
Sounds like a faulty battery, or even something going wrong in the software of the device. My Nexus S 4G lasts over a day every single time with heavy use. My EVO 4G could never, and it made me end up buying a extended just to get through a day. Nothing on the EVO 4G is better then the Nexus S 4G. Sorry but none of that is true.

ronnienyc

Oct 3, 2009
Visit site
Having your screen at 70% is still high for a SAMOLED screen unless you're outdoors and it's sunny. And black wallpapers definitely do help because of the way the screens work. Black = no LED's turned on = no power draw.

Yes, but how much time do i spend looking at a blank screen? Almost all the time I am in an app (like the browser) where the background is white. Anyway my wallpaper is black, and not difference in battery life from when it was a colored wallpaper.

Anyway, look at the Sprint site and see the customer reviews of these phones. The Nexus ranks comparatively poorly versus the Evo 4G. The Evo ranks the highest of all phones. Thousands of users have posted feedback. And many have the same issues I have: bad battery life, green tint screens, bad radio software, poor WIFI connectivity, etc.

See for yourself (click on Ratings and Reviews tabs) :
http://shop.sprint.com/mysprint/sho...0015&flow=AAL&planSKUId=&ptn=&tabId=dt_phones

http://shop.sprint.com/mysprint/sho...0020&flow=AAL&planSKUId=&ptn=&tabId=dt_phones

If you don't know what I mean by radio issues, here is one of them:
http://www.engadget.com/2011/05/27/engadget-investigates-samsung-nexus-s-4g-wimax-performance-issu/

I am not hating on the Nexus. I hope this phone gets fixed, because I like its form factor, screen, and speed. And I hope the update tomorrow makes this phone a lot better in terms of battery life, radio performance, data speeds, etc.

Last edited:

Tenebrous

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
Yes, but how much time do i spend looking at a blank screen? Almost all the time I am in an app (like the browser) where the background is white. Anyway my wallpaper is black, and not difference in battery life from when it was a colored wallpaper.

Anyway, look at the Sprint site and see the customer reviews of these phones. The Nexus ranks comparatively poorly versus the Evo 4G. The Evo ranks the highest of all phones. Thousands of users have posted feedback. And many have the same issues I have: bad battery life, green tint screens, bad radio software, poor WIFI connectivity, etc.

See for yourself (click on Ratings and Reviews tabs) :
http://shop.sprint.com/mysprint/sho...0015&flow=AAL&planSKUId=&ptn=&tabId=dt_phones

http://shop.sprint.com/mysprint/sho...0020&flow=AAL&planSKUId=&ptn=&tabId=dt_phones

If you don't know what I mean by radio issues, here is one of them:
Engadget Investigates: Samsung Nexus S 4G WiMAX performance issues -- Engadget

I am not hating on the Nexus. I hope this phone gets fixed, because I like its form factor, screen, and speed. And I hope the update tomorrow makes this phone a lot better in terms of battery life, radio performance, data speeds, etc.
Well, there have been complaints about both phones, but I can only compare my experiences and as someone who has had an Evo 4g, which was a solid phone, and a Nexus S 4g, there is no comparison - the Nexus is a much better phone (except for the radio issues which will likely be addressed with this recent update); the battery lasts much longer, Bluetooth works better, the phone seems quicker (not to mention the NFC chip), and the screen is much richer. By the way, didn't the Evo 4g also have serious radio problems before it received an update?

Last edited:

Shabbypenguin

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Going by your logic the iphone wins, as that has the highest number of positive reviews etc etc.. the evo was the first 4g phone on sprint, it was up until a few weeks ago the only phone they were pushing. in fact so much so that the samsung epic 4g had NO press info put out until pcmag got ahold of it and gave it an amazing review, it was then sprint released it had a powerhouse. but sadly enough it still couldnt compete with the maddening media crush put out by sprint htc, There are still commercials showcasing the evo and the evo shift..

the nexus beats the piss out of the evo in almost every aspect, but since its not an htc phone the fanboys will skip over it. im cool with that, sooner or later htc fans will realize that samsung is a force to be reckoned with.

as for the battery stuff, they are absolutely correct.. call your wife or whatever and leave teh screen off, end the call after an hour and see what the percentages are then. if display is your highest number then really and truly then your doing fine.. for anyone that wants to boost up their battery, check out my battery tweak.

chud

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
Come on man, 3700 reviews versus 180 reviews? A phone that has been out for over a year versus one that's been out a couple months? Do you remember how many people were fed up with the battery life of the EVO at first? Do you know what a bell curve is? And CNET has their problems, but they rated both phones at 4 stars.

I'm not saying your Nexus didn't or doesn't have problems because it very well could and I'm not trying to MAKE you like one phone over the other. But your approach on this one is a bit lopsided.

Oh, and I never ever ever ever ever put any faith in the general public's reviews. I'm not an expert by any means, but just look around this site for example and see how many people jump into smartphones and don't know how to use their most basic of features or set settings. Those people are the first ones to run and cry foul wherever and whenever they can. They buy these high performance complex devices and expect them to operate like Honda Civic's in the car world. Which incidentally is why locked down spoon fed iPhones sell so well to the masses.

RussK

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Coming from an Evo 4G to the Nexus S 4G, I have been happier with performance and battery life. Plus I don't think I could ever go back to using Sense or any other skin on top of Android.

ronnienyc

Oct 3, 2009
Visit site
In any case, it appears that the OP already decided to keep his Nexus for now. So he will see for himself if the phone suits his needs in the long term or not.
And on that note, I am off this topic.
Best to everyone.
-ron

ibejack96

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
wait... you're swapping to an Evo 4G? Please don't... only consider swapping to the 3d. Even if your swapping to the 3d, really consider it first, especially if you don't have signal issues with your nexus.

ronnienyc

Oct 3, 2009
Visit site
Hi Jack, I am not swapping anything. I have had an EVO for a long time, and I have switched back to it at least until my Nexus can get more than half a day on a charge. Hopefully the rumored update will fix that.
I am not particularly interested in the 3d as it doesn't seem to offer a whole lot more than the original. If the 3d's LCD screen was a lot better I'd think about it...
My Nexus can hold a call fine, but signal is very weak and that may be the reason for the battery draining. Just last night I had EVO -77 dBm vs. Nexus -96. The phones were sitting right next to another.
At this point, if I update to anything, it just might be the Galaxy SII ;-) That seems like it might be a real step up from the original Evo...
Thanks.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rootje