My 8T experience

Theot

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Well I tried. I had a OnePlus 6T T-Mobile version for about 18 months and it was fantastic. A really great experience and I mostly liked the camera, I got a lot of great shots with it. Oxygen OS was fast and everything ran well, battery life was great and I had no issues. However I had to switch carriers when I moved last year so I got an unlocked Pixel 4XL that had two battery failures so I decided to go back to OnePlus when the 8T was announced.

At first it was great, all the things I loved about the 6T were there in the 8T. Fast fluid OS, solid camera, great battery life, useful customization, great screen. Warp charge 65 with that battery life is a game changer, took away my battery anxiety. Used it that way for six weeks or so and then the updates started killing the experience. One bad update after another that broke things. Three in total and the latest one that was supposed to fix some of the issues never did for me. Google assistant was unusable, it would not work with any voice commands even if you opened it manually. Android auto was almost completely unresponsive to the point that you couldn't use it unless the voice commands happened to work. The haptic feedback that had been really nice and crisp the first few weeks suddenly was so weak you couldn't tell if it was working most of the time. WiFi calling was not an option anywhere. Video would not play right at times. OnePlus just really screwed things up somehow and I know there are a lot of people that aren't having issues but for me it was too many to make it worth keeping.

Google replaced my Pixel 4XL under warranty and it's been running well. The 4XL is a really great device at this point and everything works well (I'm not using the motion gestures but the face unlock is fantastic). It's a little bit of a hassle to type the pin in when I'm out with a mask but I'm not out much these days so I'll roll with it for awhile. Anyway, just wanted to share in case anyone was thinking about getting an 8T. It does seem like the T-Mobile version is more stable than the unlocked one.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
I read that for 2021 OnePlus was going to start putting a heavier skin on their originally fairly stock Android, because they want to set themselves apart from other phone makers. I instantly thought that could be trouble :eek:

I hope they don't fix what ain't broken.

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
Thanks for sharing. I forgot how nice the Pixel 4xl was until I recently reset my husband's phone and reinstalled everything. It is very fast and smooth.

Theot

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Yeah as long as you live within the intended software experience it's fantastic. I wish I could use an icon pack, had double tap to lock , remove the at a glance widget and hide apps in the drawer but otherwise I have no complaints
Thanks for sharing. I forgot how nice the Pixel 4xl was until I recently reset my husband's phone and reinstalled everything. It is very fast and smooth.

dmateo

Feb 3, 2015
Visit site
I've had the 8T since Xmas and no real issues. The main reason for the purchase was that I was looking for a dual sim device that had a seamless user experience and after much research, this was the best one. Haven't had any issues with this phone yet but I'm a firm believer that if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Theot

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I've had the 8T since Xmas and no real issues. The main reason for the purchase was that I was looking for a dual sim device that had a seamless user experience and after much research, this was the best one. Haven't had any issues with this phone yet but I'm a firm believer that if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Fair enough. I had mine since launch in October and all I know is things went from great to less than good ina few weeks. I hope your experience continues to be better.

Stanley Kubrick

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
I know if you go to the "official" OnePlus forum (full of whining complaining end users) you will see that the vast majority of issues seems to be related to the Indian version, with the EU version being next in line, and the NA/Global version having the least amount of issues. No clear rhyme-or-reason as to why this is so! I have the unlocked NA version running on AT&T and even with all the updates I have had no real issues. I wish the fingerprint sensor worked a little better for unlocking the phone, but after it's unlocked it works perfectly. I do NOT use any voice assistants and I had already disabled the Qualcomm Voice Assist (system) app before taking any updates at all. Did this contribute to me having no update issues? I'm not a camera buff so it works great for me. I have no use for WIFI calling so don't care about that either. VoLTE works just fine. The battery life is great...the 65W charging is the best on the planet. I go to bed with maybe 30% battery left, plug in the charger, brush my teeth, and wash my face, and by the time I'm done the battery is fully charged! No other phone even came close to that! So even though I have been reviewing the new Galaxy S21's I just can't justify getting one. My 8T is still better than each one of the new S21's (for various reasons per phone) such as more RAM, more storage, and the best of all...less cost. So this is my 3rd OnePlus phone. Will it be my last??? Time will tell.

dmateo

Feb 3, 2015
Visit site
I know if you go to the "official" OnePlus forum (full of whining complaining end users) you will see that the vast majority of issues seems to be related to the Indian version, with the EU version being next in line, and the NA/Global version having the least amount of issues. No clear rhyme-or-reason as to why this is so! I have the unlocked NA version running on AT&T and even with all the updates I have had no real issues. I wish the fingerprint sensor worked a little better for unlocking the phone, but after it's unlocked it works perfectly. I do NOT use any voice assistants and I had already disabled the Qualcomm Voice Assist (system) app before taking any updates at all. Did this contribute to me having no update issues? I'm not a camera buff so it works great for me. I have no use for WIFI calling so don't care about that either. VoLTE works just fine. The battery life is great...the 65W charging is the best on the planet. I go to bed with maybe 30% battery left, plug in the charger, brush my teeth, and wash my face, and by the time I'm done the battery is fully charged! No other phone even came close to that! So even though I have been reviewing the new Galaxy S21's I just can't justify getting one. My 8T is still better than each one of the new S21's (for various reasons per phone) such as more RAM, more storage, and the best of all...less cost. So this is my 3rd OnePlus phone. Will it be my last??? Time will tell.

You summed up how I feel. I know that the fingerprint sensor keeps getting better with each update and the specs on this device are stellar in comparison to the cost. I have the unlocked version which is running perfectly fine (on two sims, and I consider myself a power user that spends most of the day on zoom calls, sending hundreds of emails, and texting throughout).

Theot

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
How much did you get for your 8T?
$600 after swappa fees and taxes
Fair enough. I have AT&T as well but I work from home and my office is in the basement and signal is just weak enough that WiFi calling would have been nice. I also like WiFi calling for places like doctors offices or hospitals which was necessary last week as I had no service deep inside a hospital waiting room while my wife was in surgery and I needed to call family. Also, Google Assistant has become essential when driving and I'll be darned if I'm not going to use Android Auto because OnePlus can't get the software together especially when it all worked fine on the shipped software and I had no issues with the phone at all. Point being I'm not spending $800 to not be able to use the device with the built in features.

I'm glad you didn't have issues but it speaks to the inconsistency of the software release as to why so many are having issues yet many are not. All I know is my Pixel 4XL works way better, and everything works.

Theot

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
You summed up how I feel. I know that the fingerprint sensor keeps getting better with each update and the specs on this device are stellar in comparison to the cost. I have the unlocked version which is running perfectly fine (on two sims, and I consider myself a power user that spends most of the day on zoom calls, sending hundreds of emails, and texting throughout).
I wanted to feel that way but mine got worse. As I said it worked great the first few weeks but got worse with every release to the point I didn't find it worth dealing with.

thecaringkind

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
Almost the exact same situation. I needed a dual SIM phone and in the US market the 8T is hard to beat.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon