My class 4 micro sd card scored higher than a class 10?

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
So I downloaded SD card speed test from the market. The first time I ran it the phone had been on all day and I did all sorts of stuff with it. It only scored 1 mb/a write and 4 read. I restarted the phone and ran the test again, this time it dis 11 write and 14 read. This is a 8 gb class 4 card. This does prove though how android can bog down quite a bit with every day usage.

Anyone want to check the speed of their card? Download the app and share your scores.

pwnst_r

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Are you talking about "SD Card Speed Tester"? That's the only one I seem to be showing.

8GB Class 2:

Write speed 3.0MB/s
Read speed 6.0 MB/s

Evo was rebooted shortly before that though and before I saw this thread. I'll test again tomorrow.

Last edited:

Android Believer

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I did 3 different tests on my 16GB class 6 card. 1st: Class 4 5mb/s write, 11mb/s read. 2nd: Class 6 6mb/s write, 13 mb/s read. 3rd: Same as 2nd test.

So I'd say it was pretty right.

mansouan

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Great thread guys, can you all please post brands as well so that those of us lurking can develop an opinion on what microSD cards work best with the Evo? Thanks.

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Mine is a Sanddisk 8 GB Class 4.

To make the procedure a bit more standard, please reboot your phone before running the test.

Looking at what other results have been posted so far, I am impressed by my card!

I just ran it again, this time without a restart. Did some browsing and used NewsRoom a bit, but that's about it, result was 11 write, 15 read.

I guess that means the Evo can actually support the speed of a class 10 card?

Last edited:

tekmunki

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
I formatted using the Win7 full format. It may explain the slow write; I'll power down the phone- back up the data, format it in the droid and then copy the data over; I'll re-test and we'll see if there's any difference at all.

tekmunki

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
Windows 7 64-Bit Pro Formatter:
End of Day Test:
Write: 1.0 MB/s
Read: 13.0 MB/s

Windows 7 64-Bit Pro Formatter:
Fresh Reboot:
Write: 1.0 MB/s

Using the Built-In Phone Formatting:
Fresh Reboot:
Write: 6.0 MB/s

A rather noticeable difference!!

edit:
Now, using the Recommended SD Formatter Above: (Full Erase, Format > This took a while...)
Fresh Reboot:
Write: 6.0 MB/s

Looks like the phone and SD formatter are about even; still- good to know not to use the windows formatter.

Last edited:

Aspiring Developer

May 13, 2010
Visit site
Love this thread! I've been trying to find what is the upper Class rating capability of my Nexus One SD card. Why don't manufactures publish these specs? Prior to perusing the HTC forums I'd never even heard of the speed distinction in SDCards. I wonder now about my regular digital cameras if the picture taking is so slow simply because of (unknown class) cards.

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Love this thread! I've been trying to find what is the upper Class rating capability of my Nexus One SD card. Why don't manufactures publish these specs? Prior to perusing the HTC forums I'd never even heard of the speed distinction in SDCards. I wonder now about my regular digital cameras if the picture taking is so slow simply because of (unknown class) cards.

If it was a cheap card, and I assume it was since they didn't even bother putting the class on it, then yes, thats the reason why taking picture is so slow. Seeing how modern cameras can produce files in the megabyte range, you will definitely feel the wait while the file is written onto the card.

k2ldc10

May 12, 2010
Visit site
Newbie question alert! I am looking to get a larger card for my EVO. When I put the new card in, where do I find the utility to format the card, and does that put the needed folder structure on the card? Or, as you do something like take a picture, does the phone create the folder it needs on the fly?

wadester

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
First run - Write: 1.0MB/s, Read: 3.0MB/s, "ClassUnknown" (Factory 8GB) :(

After reboot - Write: 2.0MB/S, Read 3.0MB/s, "Class2" card :(((

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trexgameaz