My comparison of the G2 to the Droid Maxx

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
What's kind of funny is, if LG had made it possible to change the colors of the LED natively, Snareman may have never gone out and bought a Maxx. Everyone has their "thing" with a device, and I think Snareman has made a very fair comparison and is going about things the right way, which is deciding what is most important to his experience and deciding from there. I personally think the fact that the G2 isn't even being advertised as a "battery champion" phone speaks volumes for how excellent the device is. But Active Notifications was home run for Moto, and if battery life is one of your highest priorities, it makes the Maxx look very nice for some.

You CAN change the colors of the led natively on the g2.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk 2

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
Other than slightly worse battery life maybe, G2 wins in almost every way I think. As long as the phone has enough battery charge left by the end of day, having extra 10~20% is not that important for me.

I agree, a lot of other things about the G2 are better and I really want to like it better, but if I'm getting down to anywhere near close to 10% I get nervous. Heck, I don't like it below 50%. 87% after my 10h shift today (day 2 with the Maxx) compared to the 65% I was seeing on the G2.

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
What's kind of funny is, if LG had made it possible to change the colors of the LED natively, Snareman may have never gone out and bought a Maxx. Everyone has their "thing" with a device, and I think Snareman has made a very fair comparison and is going about things the right way, which is deciding what is most important to his experience and deciding from there. I personally think the fact that the G2 isn't even being advertised as a "battery champion" phone speaks volumes for how excellent the device is. But Active Notifications was home run for Moto, and if battery life is one of your highest priorities, it makes the Maxx look very nice for some.

If I had been able to get the LED to work correctly, and certainly if they'd allowed it natively I wouldn't have been as tempted. It was mostly the battery that lured me over and now that that I've seen how much more battery life I'm getting its going to be hard to go back. I agree - everyone has their own thing that is most important to them with the phone. I like the peace of mind of not having to worry about the battery. Same way with unlimited texts and unlimted data I'm still grandfathered with. I didn't know if I'd like active notifications or not, but its really quite nice for the most part.

Kris Nelson

Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
I'm using dynamic notifications and still have the knock on too... battery drain might be as issue though.

I was really torn between g2 and the Maxx... hubby got his Maxx 2weeks prior to me deciding so I used it a lot!! Great phone..incredible battery of course, signal,speakers... screen is nice and no lag at all..super snappy...Anyone that says it's a mid range phone has obviously never used it! I only went with the g2 for something different... I've had a Motorola Droid since the very first 1. Happy I did too..

Posted via Android Central App

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Questions. Questions that often sit on me brain in comparisons are... Which is:

Faster?
Has the better build quality?
Best looking screen?
Least amount of bloat?
Has the best speaker?
Has the best headphone audio?
Most accessories?
Best reception and building penetration?

My apologiesmif all of these are answered above.

from my Sony Xperia Tablet Z or XTZ or "Ecstasy"

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
Haalcyon said:

Faster?
Technically the G2 although they feel equal.

Maxx feels better

Best looking screen?
G2

Least amount of bloat?
THe same I think

Has the best speaker?
Maxx

haven't really tested

Most accessories?
The Maxx at the moment, although give it sometime and more will be out for the G2

Everyone says Moto makes better radios

Kris Nelson

Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
Kris, how does the reception of your hubby's Maxx compare with the G2?

I believe the reception is about the same. We live in a very remote area outside DC and signal is shady at best at home. I was very worried coming from Motorola's as they are notorious for radios..hubby had to take back his S4 and note 2 no signal as all! I'm very happy with my g2 signal.
The call quality is not however as good at Motorola.

Kris Nelson

Jul 27, 2013
Visit site

Faster?
Best looking screen?
Least amount of bloat?signal
Has the best speaker?
Most accessories?

My apologiesmif all of these are answered above.

from my Sony Xperia Tablet Z or XTZ or "Ecstasy"

Faster?
I actually think they are about the same. The Maxx is fast and very smooth...truly I see no difference.

Maxx for sure!!!

Best looking screen?
G2 no doubt..but Maxx isn't horrible buy any means.

Least amount of bloat?
Maxx! ...runs almost stock only Verizon bloat

signal?
About the same which is great for LG

Has the best speaker?
Maxx... 10x louder and very crisp sound

I just tested both... using Google Music playing Guns and Roses cover of Sympathy for the Devil...I think they are about the same.. g2 sound with headphones is 100x better than without.

Most accessories?
G2 will have the largest selection as its on
On carriers however being on Verizon are we the red headed step children? Dunno yet.

Again I'm think about the same which is excellent for LG. Call quality though goes to Maxx.

If I hadn't had 5 generations of Droids I would have the Maxx too...honestly I just wanted something different and the G2 is really the best for that in my opinion.
Hope this helped.

doggy2965

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
I have had both

Maxx pros are

Slighty better battery and reception.
Active notifications
Always on voice recognition (mine works extremely well)

Max cons

Screen not quite as bright or clear.
System moves a little slower.
You need a custom iu if you want to tweak(Why can't Google see we all want 5 by 5 icons).
Knock on ( Mine worked great for me)

G2 Pros

Speed
Display
Knock on
IU(I like all the options plus most were removable).

G2 cons

Reception not quite as reliable
No active notifications
No always on voice recognition (I really like that on)

I do not think you can go wrong with either phone probably just personal opinion.

Does anyone have thoughts on which phone will get better update support that could be the big difference long term?

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
Faster?
I actually think they are about the same. The Maxx is fast and very smooth...truly I see no difference.

Maxx for sure!!!

Best looking screen?
G2 no doubt..but Maxx isn't horrible buy any means.

Least amount of bloat?
Maxx! ...runs almost stock only Verizon bloat

signal?
About the same which is great for LG

Has the best speaker?
Maxx... 10x louder and very crisp sound

I just tested both... using Google Music playing Guns and Roses cover of Sympathy for the Devil...I think they are about the same.. g2 sound with headphones is 100x better than without.

Most accessories?
G2 will have the largest selection as its on
On carriers however being on Verizon are we the red headed step children? Dunno yet.

Again I'm think about the same which is excellent for LG. Call quality though goes to Maxx.

If I hadn't had 5 generations of Droids I would have the Maxx too...honestly I just wanted something different and the G2 is really the best for that in my opinion.
Hope this helped.

Thanks for the more detailed reply. I did mine this morning quickly while I was eating breakfast on the way to work. I agree with everything you said.

Sent from my Droid Maxx using Tapatalk 4

ETPhoneHomeT

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
Does anyone have thoughts on which phone will get better update support that could be the big difference long term?

Just a guess, but I would say the Droid Maxx. Motorola has really toned down their Blur UI and are as close to stock as anybody outside of the Nexus phones whereas the LG G2 is pretty heavily skinned. I also believe Motorola has had one of the better track records in the past for OS updates on their phones and they even have a portion of their website dedicated to Android OS update schedules. I'm waiting to see what the Nexus 5 will be like myself. LG G2 based hardware combined with Google/Nexus vanilla Android software could be a match made in heaven.

Kris Nelson

Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
Just a guess, but I would say the Droid Maxx. Motorola has really toned down their Blur UI and are as close to stock as anybody outside of the Nexus phones whereas the LG G2 is pretty heavily skinned. I also believe Motorola has had one of the better track records in the past for OS updates on their phones and they even have a portion of their website dedicated to Android OS update schedules. I'm waiting to see what the Nexus 5 will be like myself. LG G2 based hardware combined with Google/Nexus vanilla Android software could be a match made in heaven.

I believe that too... Motorola has been OK with updates but so much of that depends on carrier action and being on Verizon, they do take care of their Droid line. Even with the Nexus 5 being based on the G2 I agree the Maxx with the extremely light skin (Motorola Blur is GONE) will get you the closest to the Nexus.

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
I will say that I like the g2 keyboard much better with the numbers across the top. And also a .com button when you are typing an email addresses.

mount.zed

May 31, 2013
Visit site
How do they compare re how it feels in hand and how pockatable they are? I have an old Atrix 4g and will be upgrading soon, and both of these are on my shortlist including the Sony Z1

do they both have FM radios and if so how well do they work?

Last edited:

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
How do they compare re how it feels in hand and how pockatable they are? I have an old Atrix 4g and will be upgrading soon, and both of these are on my shortlist including the Sony Z1

do they both have FM radios and if so how well do they work?

they both go in the pocket very easily. The g2 feels better because the back is more rounded so it feels more comfortable in your hand and also feel a little bit lighter as it is lighter. The max feels like it is built more sturdy with its kevlar back. Everytime I pick up the g2 I love the feel of it but I went back to it last night and very quickly went back and reactivated my maxx as I really like the active notifications and a larger battery. I think the g2 has a FM antenna but I never tried it.