My Galaxy S8 Active Will Not Update Software

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I was not having any problems with my phone until a few days ago. I don't recall what it was,but something said my phone was rooted. I downloaded SuperSU and a couple other apps that said my phone is NOT rooted.
I tried clearing the cache using the volume up/Bixby/Power keys, and even used that process to do a factory reset. I still cannot update the software. It says Processing Failed.
I have been at this for 3 days, watching YouTube tutorials, trying methods from various websites, but nothing works. I can't really put my finger on the problem, but my phone just acts kinda weird sometimes, but overall seems to work fine. I can install and update apps, my browsers work fine (I mostly use Brave Anonymous View which works great), and occasionally DuckDuckGo (but don't really like it. I'm just kicking the tires on it).
I've read about flashing the ROM (or something like that) using something called Odin, and all this installing this and that, connecting phone to PC, and according to some that will put a new OS on the phone in place of the messed up OS.
I bought it refurbished through Walmart Online 3 or 4 months ago. Almost all my PCs ( I now am running 3 different refurbished HP PCs, the monitors are refurbished, a couple of TVs,all bought over the past 6 years) are all refurbished and have only had to exchange one PC out of about 10 that I've purchased.
but as I said, the phone worked fine until a few days ago.
Anyone have any suggestions as to a solution? I don't have any money to buy another phone, so I have no choice but to try every way to fix this one. Because of age, health problems, and living alone, I depend on this phone to work in case of needing 911 or one of my doctors in an emergency.
I will admit that I down to begging for help on this, and I don't like begging but I have to with this. Its either buy a new phone and keep putting air in the left rear tire every 3 days.

Larry Coffin

Dec 9, 2019
Visit site
OK. Thanks for the reply. I have an account but I guess I was just in too big a hurry to log in. Sorry about that.
The model number is SM-G892U
Version 9
Carrier - Cricket Wireless

(Off the subject, Cricket has given me great service. It's just very difficult to talk to a person, and sometimes impossible to do so. But for a $40 plan that costs $35 with auto-pay I can't expect much. They were bought out by ATT and have the exact same towers and coverage)

Do you have any idea why in the heck it suddenly started acting up with some stuff indicating that it is rooted, but the apps say it is not. And also why it was working fine one day and the next I cannot update.
I just remembered that it seems that when it started acting funky was when I installed some "interesting" apps. I tried out a couple of music player apps (I'm an audiophile with a small recording studio), All File Viewer with Document Reader, GPS Tools - Find, Measure, Navigate & Explore, and Network Analyzer. I'm wondering if those were loaded with malware that is embedded in the OS? Is it possible for an app to stick malware in the OS where it just shows up as another line or several lines of legitimate code?
I had that happen on a Windows 7 at one time. Malwarebytes had me run scans and send the scans to them. They found the malware and sent me a program to run to get rid of it. Another time, I found that malware had apparently been embedded on a Seagate Barracuda HDD and to get rid of it had to run Seagate Seatools for DOS and run a full erase with Seagate Disk Wizard at the DOD security level.. The reason for adding this part is to emphasize some strange stuff I've encountered in the past and maybe give us an idea of what's going on. A big maybe, I admit.
At any rate, it does seem that the flashing (still not sure what that is-need to Google it and study up on it) In 1975 I got an associate degree in electronics from DeVry and did some COBAL and FORTRAN, as well as Assembly Language, but that was in the Bronze Age. Android OS, C++, I know nothing about, But am learning the Linux system and experimenting with Ubuntu. I added that so that you would know that I have some general know-how and can learn. I came across some chipsets and other components just to see what kind of horsepower I can get out of an old HP 6100 Elite. (kinda think I'm in over my head on that one!!!)
Anyway, let's get going on it and see if I can git 'er done.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
OK. Thanks for the reply. I have an account but I guess I was just in too big a hurry to log in. Sorry about that.
The model number is SM-G892U
Version 9
Carrier - Cricket Wireless

(Off the subject, Cricket has given me great service. It's just very difficult to talk to a person, and sometimes impossible to do so. But for a $40 plan that costs $35 with auto-pay I can't expect much. They were bought out by ATT and have the exact same towers and coverage)

Do you have any idea why in the heck it suddenly started acting up with some stuff indicating that it is rooted, but the apps say it is not. And also why it was working fine one day and the next I cannot update.
I just remembered that it seems that when it started acting funky was when I installed some "interesting" apps. I tried out a couple of music player apps (I'm an audiophile with a small recording studio), All File Viewer with Document Reader, GPS Tools - Find, Measure, Navigate & Explore, and Network Analyzer. I'm wondering if those were loaded with malware that is embedded in the OS? Is it possible for an app to stick malware in the OS where it just shows up as another line or several lines of legitimate code?
I had that happen on a Windows 7 at one time. Malwarebytes had me run scans and send the scans to them. They found the malware and sent me a program to run to get rid of it. Another time, I found that malware had apparently been embedded on a Seagate Barracuda HDD and to get rid of it had to run Seagate Seatools for DOS and run a full erase with Seagate Disk Wizard at the DOD security level.. The reason for adding this part is to emphasize some strange stuff I've encountered in the past and maybe give us an idea of what's going on. A big maybe, I admit.
At any rate, it does seem that the flashing (still not sure what that is-need to Google it and study up on it) In 1975 I got an associate degree in electronics from DeVry and did some COBAL and FORTRAN, as well as Assembly Language, but that was in the Bronze Age. Android OS, C++, I know nothing about, But am learning the Linux system and experimenting with Ubuntu. I added that so that you would know that I have some general know-how and can learn. I came across some chipsets and other components just to see what kind of horsepower I can get out of an old HP 6100 Elite. (kinda think I'm in over my head on that one!!!)
Anyway, let's get going on it and see if I can git 'er done.
Hi, welcome !

Let me go over your post again , as it was earlier since I looked at it .

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
So you can't get software updates is your main issue ? Before we jump into flashing , have you checked a tool for pc called smart switch ?
Whats your security on and build number?
Can find that in settings >about phone >software

methodman89

Feb 5, 2018
Visit site
My 8active is on March 1 sec update. My provider, tmobile, released a list stating no more updates for the 8 active.
After you uninstalled the questionable apps, did you clear the cache partition and reboot?
What happens if you go to Safe mode?

Larry Coffin

Dec 9, 2019
Visit site
Right. When I try to update the software it says it failed. I just installed Smart Switch on my PC, and it is already installed on my phone. I got the download from Tech Spot which I've never heard of, but Malwarebytes and McAfee said the downloads were clean and VirusTotal showed the site to be clean.
Build#: PPR1.180610.011.G892USQS5CS13
Android Security Patch level: September 1, 2019

I don't understand what you mean by "What's your security on..." There are several things regrding security
There is a GOTTA GO--CAN'T BREATH--BE BACK LATER--GOTTA GET MY MACHINES HOOKED UP!!!!

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Right. When I try to update the software it says it failed. I just installed Smart Switch on my PC, and it is already installed on my phone. I got the download from Tech Spot which I've never heard of, but Malwarebytes and McAfee said the downloads were clean and VirusTotal showed the site to be clean.
Build#: PPR1.180610.011.G892USQS5CS13
Android Security Patch level: September 1, 2019

I don't understand what you mean by "What's your security on..." There are several things regrding security
There is a GOTTA GO--CAN'T BREATH--BE BACK LATER--GOTTA GET MY MACHINES HOOKED UP!!!!
Ok yes the security patch month your on , perfect

methodman89

Feb 5, 2018
Visit site
GOTTA GO--CAN'T BREATH--BE BACK LATER--GOTTA GET MY MACHINES HOOKED UP!!!!

I don't know. I think he would have stopped after just 1 exclamation point. And the double hyphens...

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I don't know. I think he would have stopped after just 1 exclamation point. And the double hyphens...

Remember, people still try to text while driving. Modern human nature seems to prioritize digital communication over health risk ...

Larry Coffin

Dec 9, 2019
Visit site
I don't really appreciate the comments regarding my emergency. It is scary as hell when you cannot breath. and are rushing to get all your inhalers and nebulizer hooked up. The speculation as to my condition was dehumanizing. It is no joke, no bull **** when your airway starts closing down. I was only trying to quickly, but succinctly trying to explain my abrupt departure. And, by the way, it is possible to take an inhalation from an inhaler and type at the same time. But, Ive found that that type of thing is typical of computer geeks. I mean, what the hell does it matter to any of you anyway? By the way, methodman89, your remark was in very poor taste, especially if you feel that I would be so low as to resort to morbid humour.
But back to my problem, now that I am out of the hospital and recovering.

This is for mustang7757 I have Smart Switch on both my phone and one of my PCs. Where do I get this Odin and is it self-explanatory as to its use? Do I get it from the Samsung site?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I don't really appreciate the comments regarding my emergency. It is scary as hell when you cannot breath. and are rushing to get all your inhalers and nebulizer hooked up. The speculation as to my condition was dehumanizing. It is no joke, no bull **** when your airway starts closing down. I was only trying to quickly, but succinctly trying to explain my abrupt departure. And, by the way, it is possible to take an inhalation from an inhaler and type at the same time. But, Ive found that that type of thing is typical of computer geeks. I mean, what the hell does it matter to any of you anyway? By the way, methodman89, your remark was in very poor taste, especially if you feel that I would be so low as to resort to morbid humour.
But back to my problem, now that I am out of the hospital and recovering.

This is for mustang7757 I have Smart Switch on both my phone and one of my PCs. Where do I get this Odin and is it self-explanatory as to its use? Do I get it from the Samsung site?
I'm sorry to hear that, glad your out and recovering

This is the steps I can provide to flash your device.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
This is the steps :

Windows computer needed

Latest Odin can Google it and download should be 3.13.1 or 3.14.1 / or Frija tool

Download samfirm v0.4.1 tool , extract it with 7zip.

You will extract files for Odin once download with 7zip and will do same for firmware with 7zip .

There will be 4 files after you extract the firmware

BL

AP

CP

CSC

Each of those files will go in Odin when you open to the corresponding slots

BL

AP

CP

CSC USE HOME CSC FIILE TO SAVE DATA

Home data slot dont put nothing

connect your phone with cable to computer , once the files are in its slots hit start, once done you'll see pass in Odin and it will reboot

Put your model number,region select check for updates , then download the Rom , extract the Rom with 7zip.

*Make sure you put phone in download mode
*If dont see your phone connected in Odin change cables or ports in computer .