My Initial Impressions

Jtshurtleff

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
So a quick check in after having a weekend with the phone. For reference I was off work Friday, hung out with my son, took my daughter to school, did some cleaning, played outside a bit, did boring stuff until my daughter's Tee Ball game and also went out to dinner. I didn't use my phone a ton that day, took some pics, tried downloading the Pixel Camera, watched a little YouTube and made a few calls and texted a bit. Also played a friend in Magic via Hangouts which TORE UP my battery, like 80% in about an hour, and then recharged in about an hour. Saturday was a rainy lazy day for the first half and then we went outside and went on a walk, took some pictures and videos of my kids and pups, did some more YT watching, tried setting up Kodi and that was mostly it. Sunday was a ton of pictures, outside time, Tee Ball pictures, using Samsung Pay at stores, being out and about.
So my biggest gripe so far is the camera. To me, it is nowhere close to the Pixel 2, doesn't do as well as the iPhone in normal shots, and the low light camera lacks any detail. I have a few pics to post and will do so below but I just feel like Sammy took a huge step back here, almost breaking the phone for me. If I can figure out how to get Pixel's camera on here I will and I will keep it but for now it's leaning towards a no because of how much I use the camera. The software has been brilliant though, easily blowing through any process, no bugs yet, hiccups rarely and is genuinely pleasant to use. The battery is hit or miss. Friday, not using it much, I ended the day at about 40% and Saturday, with heavier but not heavy use was at 22%. Yesterday I was at 35% when it went on the charge after using it for pictures a S Pay a bunch. I like the FP sensor a bit more than the S8, enjoy the new speakers and LOVE the screen. But the camera...what am I doing wrong?

Jtshurtleff

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I don't know after posting these. They look better than I thought, maybe I am just looking for a reason to not like the camera. The low light still has sharpness issues and the window in the shot of my daughter is blown out but that was with the f/1.5 so that could be why. Still hoping for the Pixel camera port as the Live Focus mode has yet to yield a great pic.

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
I don't know after posting these. They look better than I thought, maybe I am just looking for a reason to not like the camera. The low light still has sharpness issues and the window in the shot of my daughter is blown out but that was with the f/1.5 so that could be why. Still hoping for the Pixel camera port as the Live Focus mode has yet to yield a great pic.
Yeah, I was looking at them and honestly they look pretty good. I dunno, I've got both the Pixel 2 XL and this and both are great cameras. I think they beat each other about equally. It really just depends on the situation. I actually prefer the S9+ for low light. Everyone is different though. I plan to keep both phones.

Jtshurtleff

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I was looking at them and honestly they look pretty good. I dunno, I've got both the Pixel 2 XL and this and both are great cameras. I think they beat each other about equally. It really just depends on the situation. I actually prefer the S9+ for low light. Everyone is different though. I plan to keep both phones.

Yeah I am starting to agree. I hated the Pixel XL camera last year until I used it a bit so maybe Samsung's is growing on me. I feel like the picture I take turns out different that what I am seeing initially and it is throwing me off. I also might be going blind, no clue.

Jtshurtleff

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
So unfortunately I took my phone out this week and took pictures and took more pictures, most of which with Live Focus, and ended up with some bad results. I am sad to say but I am going back to my Pixel 2 XL. I love the phone aside from battery life and the camera. Unfortunately those are my two biggest needs in a phone and the Pixel has both. It's not as flashy, but it works for me.

aggie

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
I've had the S9+ for about two days now. I think it is a really nice phone. However, already having a Pixel 2XL and iPhone X I'm not sure if "really nice" will keep me from returning it. I prefer the Pixel 2XL and even iPhone X pictures to what I'm getting from the S9+. The device size and amazing display of the S9+ however are much more to my liking than the other two. On the fence as far as keeping it, thankfully I have 12 more days to decide.

anon(1733)

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
I've had the S9+ for about two days now. I think it is a really nice phone. However, already having a Pixel 2XL and iPhone X I'm not sure if "really nice" will keep me from returning it. I prefer the Pixel 2XL and even iPhone X pictures to what I'm getting from the S9+. The device size and amazing display of the S9+ however are much more to my liking than the other two. On the fence as far as keeping it, thankfully I have 12 more days to decide.
I tend to agree. I finally got around to taking photos with my s9 plus and while they were nice I preferred my buddies pixel 2 xl. I ordered one for myself and it should be here tomorrow. I'll send the s9 back. Great device all around. Didn't have a issue. I think Samsung did a great job. But for now I'll try the Pixel 2xl. I haven't had it yet anyway.

aggie

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
I tend to agree. I finally got around to taking photos with my s9 plus and while they were nice I preferred my buddies pixel 2 xl. I ordered one for myself and it should be here tomorrow. I'll send the s9 back. Great device all around. Didn't have a issue. I think Samsung did a great job. But for now I'll try the Pixel 2xl. I haven't had it yet anyway.

Thats surprising LOL. Could have swore you have been singing its praises the last few days. I'll say I really like it alot. I'm on pace for 6+ hours SOT today. However with the 2XL and iPhone X in my possession and also having a Note 8 on my work line it just doesn't offer me something that I can't get from each of the other devices. The speakers and audio output over bluetooth are superb though. I'm gonna use it a few days and try to convince myself to keep it. My hope when I got it was that I'd like it enough to sell either the X or the 2XL.

anon(1733)

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
Thats surprising LOL. Could have swore you have been singing its praises the last few days. I'll say I really like it alot. I'm on pace for 6+ hours SOT today. However with the 2XL and iPhone X in my possession and also having a Note 8 on my work line it just doesn't offer me something that I can't get from each of the other devices. The speakers and audio output over bluetooth are superb though. I'm gonna use it a few days and try to convince myself to keep it. My hope when I got it was that I'd like it enough to sell either the X or the 2XL.
Oh for sure. I still do sing it praises. I don't have any problems with it. It's a great device. But with my complusion to switch phones that's why I'm mainly switching. Nothing wrong with the S9 plus.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sdaservices2000