My issue with battery life

tbgjlb

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
I'm going crazy trying to decide s6 or g4 and I'm aware of the many battery threads but I'm still looking for peoples first hand opinions.

I'm looking at a 2 year contract and want the best I can get that will last the 2 years, there is not much difference in prices so just need to make the choice.

My problem is the difference between owners reviews , journo reviews and benchmark tests the s6 seems to come out best in most areas but only just ( not enough to make that much of a difference ) apart from benchmarks ( quite abit better ) and the battery which in bench mark test seems to come out a good deal better than the g4 but in owner/journo reviews it seems to be the complete opposite , so on the face of it the s6 would seem the best bet but my major concern is the constant worry of battery issues. where as i'd rather not worry about battery but take a slight hit on the overall phone spec but was wondering about first hand opinions.

just a little more info, I currently use a 2014 2nd gen moto g which I got just to get back on android after apple for 2 years , My battery life is just starting to go strange ( have not found out why yet ) but normal use 100% at 7am down to 30 - 50 % at 11pm with 3 ish hours SOT ( a little bit less at the moment but not looked into why yet ) as for the bench marks stuff the main one is phone areana which covers loads of areas about the phones but confirmed some things on other sites ( cant remember what sites).

I'm going to leave this in the s6 forum to see different opinions as well .

thanks for reading this post and I look forward to hopefully being able to make a final choice

tbg

RedOctobyr

Jun 7, 2015
Visit site
I went for the G4, the design decisions with the S6 (no SD, non-removable battery) did not sit well with me.

I seem to be on-track for about 3.5-4 hours SOT. Though I don't fully drain the battery to push it that far.

If you are in the US, you can get a free leather back, battery, and charger. While more hassle, a spare battery can help alleviate battery concerns. On a heavy-use day, swap batteries in 30 seconds, and you're back to 100%. The closest you'll get on the S6 is a case with a built-in battery, but that is an option for the G4 as well.

In addition, when the battery starts to degrade after a year or whatever, you can easily replace it in the G4. For the S6, you are kind of stuck with a weakening battery, unless you open the phone up to replace it, or pay someone to do it (probably somewhat expensive, maybe $50-80?). This concerned me, since all batteries degrade. Even if the S6 starts out better, it will get worse over time, and "fixing" that may be a hassle and/or somewhat expensive. While a new G4 battery will be maybe $20-25 and 30 seconds to replace.

Some people seem to get more SOT with the S6, but it sounds like the G4 does better with standby battery life.

Last edited:

dungoyle

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
Speaking of removable battery, someone is bound to release a 3500mah or larger battery for the G4 in the coming months, for an extra boost.

dungoyle

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
What made you switch from the S6? Any regrets?
Actually, the S6 was never on my radar at all. I came from a Droid Turbo with the 3900mah battery. That is the singular thing other than the native QI support that I truly miss about migrating to the G4.

tbgjlb

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
When will phone maker recognise the public do require there phone to last a day (maybe more) without becoming paranoid about how to optimise things .

Any more first hand experiences would be great.

Posted via the Android Central App

dungoyle

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
When will phone maker recognise the public do require there phone to last a day (maybe more) without becoming paranoid about how to optimise things .

Any more first hand experiences would be great.

Absolutely. I'm of the unshakeable opinion that we should expect nothing less than 48 hours of actual functional use of a phone; at least flagship phones that cost $600-$800 dollars.

Rometheus

Jul 24, 2015
Visit site
If battery is the issue which it is most of the time. The G4 they say is performing better than most flagship phones out right now in regards to battery. In terms of software etc. I'm not sure if its the best out there although its camera is pretty damn good!

~Blessed From My Note 4~

dungoyle

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
If battery is the issue which it is most of the time. The G4 they say is performing better than most flagship phones out right now in regards to battery. In terms of software etc. I'm not sure if its the best out there although its camera is pretty damn good!

~Blessed From My Note 4~
I have to be honest and say that as a very recent adopter, I don't have enough experience with the G4 to say I'm "satisfied" with the battery or not. However, I know damned well, I won't see 48 hours of full-on usage, which I know is presently a pipe dream, but what I consider to be an achievable goal. I came from a Droid Turbo that advertised 48 hours use, and that was misleading marketing. However, I will say that I never came close to running out of battery on that beast. Obviously, I charged it at bed time each night, but still; 4900mah; that sucker had some heartbeat in the battery department.

Rometheus

Jul 24, 2015
Visit site
I have to be honest and say that as a very recent adopter, I don't have enough experience with the G4 to say I'm "satisfied" with the battery or not. However, I know damned well, I won't see 48 hours of full-on usage, which I know is presently a pipe dream, but what I consider to be an achievable goal. I came from a Droid Turbo that advertised 48 hours use, and that was misleading marketing. However, I will say that I never came close to running out of battery on that beast. Obviously, I charged it at bed time each night, but still; 4900mah; that sucker had some heartbeat in the battery department.
User experience is the best thing. I was very scared to get The Note 4 due to all the battery issues occurring on Lollipop. After a week of hard usage, I'm satisfied. Its down to 31% but I have been on and off using it for the last 5 hours to get to know how to use it and for work and podcast listening along with some torrenting. It was at 64% when I started using it heavily and 5 1/2 hours later its at 32%. I cant complain!

~Blessed From My Note 4~

mach1man

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
User experience is the best thing. I was very scared to get The Note 4 due to all the battery issues occurring on Lollipop. After a week of hard usage, I'm satisfied. Its down to 31% but I have been on and off using it for the last 5 hours to get to know how to use it and for work and podcast listening along with some torrenting. It was at 64% when I started using it heavily and 5 1/2 hours later its at 32%. I cant complain!

~Blessed From My Note 4~

So do you have the Note 4 now

dungoyle

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
Yes I do and love it!

~Blessed From My Note 4~
My friend and co-worker has a Note 4. It has a beautiful screen, and is waaaaay too big for my tastes. This is an area where where phone and phablet are so close, that personal opinion comes heavily into play.

Rometheus

Jul 24, 2015
Visit site
My friend and co-worker has a Note 4. It has a beautiful screen, and is waaaaay too big for my tastes. This is an area where where phone and phablet are so close, that personal opinion comes heavily into play.
Good point. The main reason I upgraded to the Note 4 was because my GS4 was dying so quickly on Lollipop and I was somewhat what desperate to get a new device. Best Buy had a one day special on Sprint selling the Note 4 for a $1 on 2yr. upgrade. I love having a mobile device but I also have mouths to feed plus my wife doesnt look too kind on us paying out alot on phones. The new leasing option we dont do either cause our bill is high enough. When 2017 comes I will probably look hard at buying my device unlocked. I originally wanted to get the Nexus 6 with Sprint but I wasn't going to pay $200 to upgrade and a new one is coming out. My/family's philosphy is get the best phone you can for cheap. I dont have the luxury of putting down $200 yearly to upgrade my device. If the Note 4 wasn't a steal of a deal I would of waited till something came along. The most I will pay on a 2 year upgrade for a device is $99.

~Blessed From My Note 4~

dungoyle

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
Good point. The main reason I upgraded to the Note 4 was because my GS4 was dying so quickly on Lollipop and I was somewhat what desperate to get a new device. Best Buy had a one day special on Sprint selling the Note 4 for a $1 on 2yr. upgrade. I love having a mobile device but I also have mouths to feed plus my wife doesnt look too kind on us paying out alot on phones. The new leasing option we dont do either cause our bill is high enough. When 2017 comes I will probably look hard at buying my device unlocked. I originally wanted to get the Nexus 6 with Sprint but I wasn't going to pay $200 to upgrade and a new one is coming out. My/family's philosphy is get the best phone you can for cheap. I dont have the luxury of putting down $200 yearly to upgrade my device. If the Note 4 wasn't a steal of a deal I would of waited till something came along. The most I will pay on a 2 year upgrade for a device is $99.

~Blessed From My Note 4~
Well stated. I escaped VZW back to Sprint because they paid the early termination fee, AND my new cost with them is 1/3 of my VZW contract with UNLIMITED data (compared to 10GB per month). I was fortunate to catch the "buy out" program, and their lease and/or easy finance program is actually preferable to the traditional 2 year contract program (although the lease program locks you into a permanent hardware payment, while the "easy pay" program owns you the phone in 24 months for a minimal additional fee).

mach1man

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
Yes I do and love it!

~Blessed From My Note 4~

I'm in the middle of debating on keeping the G4 or getting the note 4 or note 5. I'm just worried that the camera on the note 4 won't be as good as the G4..

My G4 gets real bad lag at times, from the keyboard (yes I've used tons of different keyboard) to websites and missed touches.

Rometheus

Jul 24, 2015
Visit site
I'm in the middle of debating on keeping the G4 or getting the note 4 or note 5. I'm just worried that the camera on the note 4 won't be as good as the G4..

My G4 gets real bad lag at times, from the keyboard (yes I've used tons of different keyboard) to websites and missed touches.

Was in the same boat and went with Note 4. I sometimes wonder if I made a bad choice but I think I'm good. G4 camera is nice but not a huge difference IMO. Even the guys at Best Buy were like rockin the Note 4. I asked what about the G4. They said battery life is the main thing that makes it good or stand out.

~Blessed From My Note 4~

StoneRyno

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
I never had a smartphone that I DIDN'T have to tweak a lot to get the battery life that was expected (reported as what you should get etc). Even with the G4 I'm having to figure out what is draining my battery so much. Out of the box with all my apps install I have used for years now I was only getting through less than half the day. I've identified several causes of the battery drain on my G4 and now get as much as 18 hours out of a full charge with up to 3 hours of screen on time. And I still haven't figured out all the causes. Just this weekend I may have found another big drain and the next two days will confirm if for sure it is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
delgerjargal