My mini Review/thoughts on the Dell Venue 7840

angry english

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Im a tablet and phone geek. I just cannot help myself.

Ive had 4 Nexus 9`s recently (due to shabby hardware), the Tab S and the G Pad 8.3 and i will say that hands down the new Dell 7840 is hands down the finest of the lot. The build quality on this tablet is 2nd to none, it is the best built Android tablet on the market in terms of quality.

The all aluminum finish feels great and is reminiscent of the HTC One M8. The screen is just WOW and the sound is really nice for a tablet. The almost edge to edge display makes the screen pop even more so, the blacks are wonderful and the colors are bright, the whole thing just pops at you, equally as good as the Tab S 8.4 if not slightly better.

The speakers, yes we have 2 speakers but they are next to each other on the chin of the tablet meaning you lose some of that big sound but in comparison with the Nexus 9 with the HTC Boom Sound i have to say that the Dell out performs its competitor, once you tweak the audio with the MaxAudio app this is where you can really make the tablet loud and more full.

It`s running an almost stock version of Android Kitkat 4.4.2 i only say almost as we do have some Dell apps which are needed. Its fast and responsive and will supposedly soon be getting the Lollipop update.

The Intel Atom processor has no issues pushing all those pixels around, the new Moorefield 64bit processor seems to have some real good power in it.

The 16gb onboard storage is low, but most tablets have this and fortunately we have an SD slot which once Lollipop drops will make storage somewhat easier if the app developers choose to go with apps to sd like in other versions of android other than kitkat.

The realsense camera...... let me just point out that the camera on this things seems to be very noisy, a really poor camera and i dont seem to have realsense working like it is in the 1st look demo`s you see online. Maybe this is an issue that Dell can fix with an update.

One thing this tablet does need and is obviously missing is double tap to wake. This is due to the power and volume buttons being on the left side of the tablet at the top making the power button a pain to reach. Hopefully this can be implemented by Dell in the future.

If you are looking at buying a new tablet i highly recommend stopping and looking at this tablet, for me its much better than the competition

Posted via the Android Central App

VannTH

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site
Seems like a really great device.
The fact that you had all those high end devices makes this review better.

Can you please tell me how's the battery life?

Have you found any game / app that doesn't support the chipset?

Thanks in advance, and great first impression
V.

angry english

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Seems like a really great device.
The fact that you had all those high end devices makes this review better.

Can you please tell me how's the battery life?

Have you found any game / app that doesn't support the chipset?

Thanks in advance, and great first impression
V.

Battery life seems really good, I don't play games on my tablet but every app I've tried has not had any issues.

You're welcome :)

Jdane07

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I don't worry about benchmarks in the slightest, but could you do an Antutu test just to test how it stacks up compared to the Snapdragon devices out there? Again, just out of curiosity.
Thanks!

carter17

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
That's what I just got first time I ran a benchmark in a long time lol

Attachments

• 3309.jpg
    3309.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 120
  • 3310.jpg
    3310.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 120
  • 3311.jpg
    3311.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 117

carter17

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
Second run little bit better so figured I would show it to

Attachments

• 3312.jpg
    3312.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 115

vertigoOne

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
Nice review!

If you are looking at buying a new tablet i highly recommend stopping and looking at this tablet, for me its much better than the competition

My suggestion if you are not looking at buying a new tablet, avoid playing with one of these at all costs :-[

Played with one on a Sunday and convinced myself that i needed one on the following Tuesday. I am not tablet poor, but I had to have one of these after seeing it in person.