My new Samsung S4 screen won't work!

Samantha Connelly

May 13, 2013
Visit site
I only got my Samsung a week ago and the screen isn't working..Every time I press the middle button nothing happens and the screen stays black. The power button works and so does the other buttons its just the screen. I haven't drop it or anything so I don't know what has happened to it. As I said I've only had it a week. Help!!

iFebby

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site
Sounds like a dead screen if it just doesn't turn on anymore. I'd take it back to where you bought it to get it exchanged since you've only had for a week. If that isn't an option, contact Samsung for repair. :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

MC_A_DOT

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
I only got my Samsung a week ago and the screen isn't working..Every time I press the middle button nothing happens and the screen stays black. The power button works and so does the other buttons its just the screen. I haven't drop it or anything so I don't know what has happened to it. As I said I've only had it a week. Help!!

I'd take it back for an exchange if I were you..if its only been a week then your still in warranty.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Not to over shadow the issue here but...

Welcome to AC Samantha.

I will echo what the others have said, being so new and under warranty I would return it to the place of purchase and just be firm with them. Screen is not turning on and this is too new of a device to be playing around so just demand a new one.

Let us know how it works out.

Good luck and enjoy the forums.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

Welcome to the forums! I don't have an S4, but I do have an S3. My counter question: Is the home button supposed to wake the device? I know it can for mine, but I don't know if that features survived to the S4. If it supposed to, do you have SVoice on? It may be waiting for the second click form you to activate, and as a default it does nothing. You can try clearing the cache in recovery. That might help. To do so, you power down, and wait for the Touch keys to go out. To reboot into recovery, you hold home, volume up and power at the same time. I found it easiest to hit volume and home first then power. Wait for the samsung logo to come up and release. You then get a navigation menu with options highlighted. Scroll down using volume rockers to wipe cache partition. Hit power to accept. This should only take about 10 to 15 seconds. It will bring you back to the navigation screen and default to highlight reboot now. Hit power. Let it reboot, and see what happens. If you still have a problem, your carrier and/or Samsung should be able to help with a defective device.

IMSunshine78

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
I just received my S4 yesterday and it would turn on but screen wont come up just like your issue. They are now sending me a new one. Pretty disappointed. But at least its getting resolved. Did they ever give you any info on why it happened? Since yours was new and mine is brand new just curious if this is going to be a future problem.

JenniferPKF

Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
I actually have had mine for about a week and a half, and today my screen just dissolved in front of my eyes and it's been black since. I've got it charging in case the battery suddenly became drained, but the screen colors and image sort of melted about forty-five minutes ago, and I can tell that the phone itself is working. I just can't see anything but a black screen. Does anyone know of any fixes, or do you think the screen has died? I live on an island in Greece and bought it from Amazon.co.uk, so sending it back is going to be a hassle. :'( Thanks for any advice!

JenniferPKF

Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Hello Golfdriver97: I've tried your solution, but I'm not even getting the logo/start up screen. I hear the music but the screen stays black. Do you think that means the screen has died? Thanks.

iFebby

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site
Hello Golfdriver97: I've tried your solution, but I'm not even getting the logo/start up screen. I hear the music but the screen stays black. Do you think that means the screen has died? Thanks.

Screen died most likely due to defect. Its possible the lcd cable became loose (unlikely to happen) but opening it to find out would be the only way. If youre uncomfortable with that you could just ship it off to samsung for repair even though its expensive but I think they send you a shipping label,least here in the usa.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

distance_runner

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
My screen doesn't turn on every time. 3 times since I bought it on 7-26 it's had a light on but then I press buttons the screen stays black. I have had to take the battery out and put it back in to restart the phone and that worked, but how annoying. Most of yesterday till today has worked fine. Just not sure what to make of it.

iFebby

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site
My screen doesn't turn on every time. 3 times since I bought it on 7-26 it's had a light on but then I press buttons the screen stays black. I have had to take the battery out and put it back in to restart the phone and that worked, but how annoying. Most of yesterday till today has worked fine. Just not sure what to make of it.

You should get that replaced under warranty. :)

Sent from my GT-I9505G using Tapatalk 2

Candace M

Nov 7, 2013
Visit site
The same thing happened to my husband's s4 for no reason and the place where we got them will not switch out for a new one without $200! I understand having to pay if you did something to break it but when you did nothing. .ridiculous! And now mine doesn't connect to our wifi at home like it did before or when I'm not home and turn wifi off for my phones Internet. . it says no Internet connection. I never had ANY problems with my s3.. it was the BEST phone I've EVER had.

Kelly Cousins

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
Re: My new Samsung S4 screen is not responding

Please help , my samsung screen is not responding to to touch, there fore cant unlock or get into it, when i press the button on the side it lights up as normal, just cant get in to phone, can this be fixed

Candace Schug

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
I bought mine less then two months ago. It too just did the same thing. Called ATT and they are sending me a new one. It was under a 1 year warrenty. I really hope this isnt something that is going to keep happening. I am glad though I am not the only one it has happened too.

Candace Schug

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
A thing on the new S4 phones. They have trouble connecting to wifi because of the security features it has. I had to have my internet Provider come out and reconfigure my router for me. Google Galaxy S4 phones not connecting to WIFI and it will give you more info. HOpefully that will fix the issue. ATT replaced my phone free of charge when It went black. It was under a 1 year warrenty

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jackybeny