My Note 4 is starting to slow down

graham2024

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I've noticed in the past weeks that my Note 4 has started to slow down (lag). Any suggestions on how to speed things back up? Can you defragment a smartphone the same way you would a Windows computer?

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Have you installed any apps in the last few weeks? Perhaps an app is consuming resources (CPU, memory) that is contributing to the slowness. Is the slowness during overall usage, or just in certain apps or situations?

A reboot may also be a quick thing to try if you haven't already.

graham2024

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Have you installed any apps in the last few weeks? Perhaps an app is consuming resources (CPU, memory) that is contributing to the slowness. Is the slowness during overall usage, or just in certain apps or situations?

A reboot may also be a quick thing to try if you haven't already.

The only new app in the past few months is Sunrise Calendar. I'm pretty particular about the apps I have installed which only leaves me with an app drawer of 2 pages.

The most noticeable slow down is when I use Google Now. The "Okay Google" command takes a few seconds to register and tapping the microphone is much the same. I use Google Now to send texts, set reminders/alarms and for search so it's become especially frustrating. I'm also noticing an overall slow down in general.

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
The only new app in the past few months is Sunrise Calendar. I'm pretty particular about the apps I have installed which only leaves me with an app drawer of 2 pages.

The most noticeable slow down is when I use Google Now. The "Okay Google" command takes a few seconds to register and tapping the microphone is much the same. I use Google Now to send texts, set reminders/alarms and for search so it's become especially frustrating. I'm also noticing an overall slow down in general.

I use Google Now as well, but mostly for the proactive notifications and some search for restaurants. But I don't use the voice feature. I'll keep an eye on it and report back if I notice a slowdown. So far its working well for me.

I wonder if the voice features in Google Now take more time as the voice commands have to be relayed to Google's infrastructure and apps that run the Google Now service. If there is network latency on your end, somewhere along the way to Google's infrastructure, or on the way back to you, that could also account for delays and slowness.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I'm not excited about trying this (and feel I shouldn't have to), but I'm saving it as a last resort.

This isn't anything big to do. It is like clearing the cache, on your computer.

The only thing that will change with a cache wipe is some issues you might be having. A reset is different and you do have to set your phone back up with a reset.

freddyttt

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I love my note 4 but coming from the HTC family(incredibles-, m7 and m8 I understand now how well HTC builds phones....

that said untill HTC builds the phone i need ill keep my note 4.

PuterPro

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
+1 on the Cache partition wipe.
I also killed Talkback App, Disabled S-Voice, turned off 3D Transitions in Lollipop, and ran a Debloater tool from a guy named gatesjunior on XDA Forums.
Runs like a champ.

PuterPro

PuterPro

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
OOPS! Forgot to give the steps to disable 3D Transitions:

Long press blank spot on home screen, Click Home Screen Settings and turn Transitions to None

Personally, I like faster than pretty.....

PuterPro

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance