My Samsung Note8's volume buttons are not 'clicky' but only during specific hours?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I've accidentally spilled a small amount of sugar syrup on my phone near the volume buttons. I mean very little, not even 2 drops and I wiped it off immediately. I didn't encounter any problem in the next couple of days after that incident so I thought nothing of it.
About 3 days ago in the morning while I was at work, I noticed that the volume buttons on my Note8 were not very 'clicky' anymore. It works perfectly in adjusting the volume up and down, it's just that it's a little hard to press. I remembered the syrup incident a few days back, so I tried cleaning the surface of the buttons with a cotton swab with alcohol. It didn't help so I left it alone, thinking it's still working anyway.
However, when I used my phone again at night, I noticed the buttons where 'clicky' again--I thought the problem was fixed.
But in the next couple of days, the problem recurred, but only during the day! Like, when I get home at night and do some browsing or video viewing, I can use the buttons perfectly, crisp and clicky!

Has anyone experienced this?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Maybe it has to do with the temperature. During the day, the phone might be warmer if it's been outside, in your pocket, or being used more. That might warm up the sugary residue and interfere with the click action.

Rubbing alcohol won't damage anything, so you could try applying it more liberally to the volume button, making sure it gets into the cracks more.