Mystery Notification sound

j3ff_m

Sep 16, 2021
Visit site
I'm gonna lose my mind.

I've already tried everything suggested that I can find on the internet. Reddit, Samsung website, Android website, friggin Youtube,.

I have a mystery audible notification alert.

There is no corresponding app icon badge. Its random in its timing. No particular pattern. Sometimes I can go hours without hearing it, then 3 in 15 minutes. Sometimes it happens when I'm using the phone and screen is active (with no corresponding pop up or visible alert), but is also happens when phone is idle.

Its definitely the "notification" sound as I have set the "system" sound to a different sound.

Yes, I have immediately checked Notifications for recently sent notifications and there is nothing recent, I have also checked Notification History and it also doesn't show anything recent.

I have turned off notification reminders in Accessibility settings.

I have turned off emergency notifications.

I have turned off Bluetooth and NFC.

I am on a S20 5G SM-G981W with Android 11 and One UI 3.1

I do think a correlation is possible between latest Android Update and these mystery notifications. Last update was Sept 3rd and I think that may be when I started hearing them.

But other than that I am all out of ideas. Any help is appreciated.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Have you tried Good Lock's Notification module? It's a little more robust than the stock Notification History. I'd also check if you have any BT devices nearby that could be trying to connect (you could, for instance, try to go a day without BT?).

j3ff_m

Sep 16, 2021
Visit site
Thanks Spook! I will try Good Lock for sure, I was wondering if there were apps that got deeper into android's log reporting. I've already shut BT off and got the notification sound like 10 minutes later so I think I can eliminate that as an issue. Same with NFC.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Thanks Spook! I will try Good Lock for sure, I was wondering if there were apps that got deeper into android's log reporting. I've already shut BT off and got the notification sound like 10 minutes later so I think I can eliminate that as an issue. Same with NFC.
Try Nice Catch from galaxy play store , it might be able to find which is causing this .

j3ff_m

Sep 16, 2021
Visit site
Nice Catch worked! It seems to be a 3rd party email client that I use (BlackBerry Hub). Nice Catch finally found the corresponding event. The app checks for messages in the background like most email apps, but interestingly enough I have noticed an occasional app icon badge showing up in the notification bar for a second or two with the text "checking for messages in the background". It goes away quickly so its never bothered me. In thinking about it, I haven't seen that transient notification for awhile, probably since the the audible notification started. I have the individual notifications for the app turned to silent, but I allow app icon badges. So it seems with the recent Android update (the app itself hasn't updated for almost 6 months) the transient app icon badge alert for checking messages in background has somehow turned into the occasional audible notification. So I completely shut down notification for the entire app at the top level and I have not heard the notification since. I have now lost the app icon badge for new email, but that's a small sacrifice to get rid of the mystery notification problem. Thanks again for your suggestions!

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Nice Catch worked! It seems to be a 3rd party email client that I use (BlackBerry Hub). Nice Catch finally found the corresponding event. The app checks for messages in the background like most email apps, but interestingly enough I have noticed an occasional app icon badge showing up in the notification bar for a second or two with the text "checking for messages in the background". It goes away quickly so its never bothered me. In thinking about it, I haven't seen that transient notification for awhile, probably since the the audible notification started. I have the individual notifications for the app turned to silent, but I allow app icon badges. So it seems with the recent Android update (the app itself hasn't updated for almost 6 months) the transient app icon badge alert for checking messages in background has somehow turned into the occasional audible notification. So I completely shut down notification for the entire app at the top level and I have not heard the notification since. I have now lost the app icon badge for new email, but that's a small sacrifice to get rid of the mystery notification problem. Thanks again for your suggestions!
Glad it helped figure it out , your welcome

musicollector

Feb 25, 2016
Visit site
"Try Nice Catch from galaxy play store , it might be able to find which is causing this".

Thanks, That is great. It was like looking for a needle in a haystack!

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
"Try Nice Catch from galaxy play store , it might be able to find which is causing this".

Thanks, That is great. It was like looking for a needle in a haystack!
Were you trying to quote me?

"It's like looking for a needle in a haystack"
It can be if you don't know what your looking for.

Edit: let me reword it.. don't want you take wrong way lol , sometimes some categories don't give enough information so you need to look further into them to know where it's coming from.

Last edited:

musicollector

Feb 25, 2016
Visit site
Sorry, my fault. :) I was referring to the solution to my problem, not the app in the store. I looked high and low trying to find a solution and you had a viable solution. Thank you.