NC is starting to sound better and better since MWC..

FatMikeNJ

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Now that we're starting to see the unofficially pricing for some of the Honeycomb tablets coming out (G-Slate $1000 based on ?1000, Xoom $800, Galaxy 10.1 $600+ based on Galaxy 7" $600-$650); the Nook Color with a hc rom is starting to sound better and better .... my question is this: functionality? How well is it running HC, gapps, and how are the sensors? I'm also interested in knowing, because of the lack of features , compared to the upcoming devices , is it worth saving such substantial amount of money, at least $400 no contract? Many thanks.

slimxwhitman

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
I personally love my NC. I think it is a great device, I was waiting for iPad2 specs and Xoom prices to decide if I wanted an NC. I kept playing with them in stores and reading about them and just couldn't wait, I bought my NC about 3 weeks ago and couldn't be happier, it runs a PREVIEW of honeycomb greatly, so when we get official full SDK and xoom is released and devs are making apps for honeycomb, it will be even better. For a $250, 7", over clocked to 1.1Ghz now, etc.. Its a no brainer to spend that little amount of money for a really decent android tablet.

Reactions: survivorevil

dcreed

May 26, 2010
www.acrobotica.com
Currently running Froyo off the microSD card and loving it. Only issues I've had were caused by me (changing the fingerprint [badly] for more things to show up in the market).

I'll probably make the switch to Honeycomb when it's official. I do enough pre-release testing in my job already.

slimxwhitman

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
I have been using it since its been released on both Nookie Froyo and Honeycomb. I haven't had any problem with it and Honeycomb has had extremely great battery life for me even with 1.1Ghz OC.

simon.ponder

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
Loving it

I, as well swooped a NC up about three weeks ago. I have nookie froyo 0.6.7 running from internal and the HC preview running on a 8G sd card. The nookie froyo has no issue responding to input, the sensors work well and everything.

The Honeycomb preview has some noticeable lag, and screen positioning issues, but for a preview, it is nice. As all these tablets keep coming out, with price tags over $500 for the basic tablets, the NC is a clear choice, hands down, for most people.

If you have $600-$1000 to burn on a full size tablet, go ahead, but weighing all things, NC is a clear winner.

FatMikeNJ

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Great post Simon.
I, as well swooped a NC up about three weeks ago. I have nookie froyo 0.6.7 running from internal and the HC preview running on a 8G sd card. The nookie froyo has no issue responding to input, the sensors work well and everything.

The Honeycomb preview has some noticeable lag, and screen positioning issues, but for a preview, it is nice. As all these tablets keep coming out, with price tags over $500 for the basic tablets, the NC is a clear choice, hands down, for most people.

If you have $600-$1000 to burn on a full size tablet, go ahead, but weighing all things, NC is a clear winner.

jfultz14976

May 24, 2010
Visit site
I have been using it since its been released on both Nookie Froyo and Honeycomb. I haven't had any problem with it and Honeycomb has had extremely great battery life for me even with 1.1Ghz OC.

Did you use the instructions on this page (the ones that are grayed out)?
http://forum.androidcentral.com/bar...oad-install-honeycomb-nook-color-sd-card.html

Just got my NOOKcolor today with an 8GB Class6 MicroSD and I'm ready for some fun.

My ultimate goal if to leave the internals stock (So the Wife can read at B&N) and run Honeycomb off the SD.

tino

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
I picked up a NC yesterday after I saw the price of the HTC Flyer post. It is going to be more than 500. The only other tablet I am interested in is the Asus MeMO. And since the MeMO is a dualcore snapdragon and HTC is having problem announcing any new dualcore phone, I figure all dualcore snapdragon devices will get delay.

Plus the fact that the used price of the Galaxy Tabs are still hoovering around 450 in ebay, I made a decision and pulled the trigger. I still think the Tab is worth 150-ish more than the NC and I am willing to pay for it. But the NC price is not going to drop anyway, like the PS2 price. I figure I am not losing anything.

BTW, I though 7" was right for me but I may go for a smaller one next time. 7" is still not mobile enough. I really like the idea of the 4.8" Acer Smart.

mavrrick

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
The differences are pretty simple. The below items are things the Nook color is missing.

1. No phone based telephone service
2. no hardware based buttons (which can be annoying at times)
3. No camera front or rear faceing
4. No Mic ( i think some do have a mic on them)
5. No GPS.
6. Bluetooth as been disabled but i think they are working on it.
7. The multitouch screen only handles a maximium of two fingers.

The question is does any of that stuff above effect how you would like to use it. Personally nothing in the above list is a real deal breaker for most people.

I think the real problem is that in many ways these phone and device companies are trying to make these tablets be completely independent devices, and in most cases those of us want to just use them to augment the enviroments we have. I don't want another device with a data plan as an example. I want it to either tether from my other devices or use WIFI. Why is that such a hard concept for them to get.

With all that being said allot of times you don't know what you can do until you have it so.

dcreed

May 26, 2010
www.acrobotica.com
Personally nothing in the above list is a real deal breaker for most people.
Agreed. Although a camera would be handy. Like when I was reading (using the Nook software on Froyo SD) and my 100 lb dog got his head stuck under the footstool.

I think this is why a lot of people were waiting for WiFi-only versions of the tablets, and then those have been announced with projected price tags double what the Nook Color is retailing for. The Nook isn't perfect, but it's close, and I can deal with a lot of just-less-than-perfect with $300 in my pocket.

What if Barnes & Noble (and I hope someone from there is reading) came out with a WiFi-only Nook Color running Honeycomb, 16GB of internal memory, a rear-facing camera, and a crippled market that didn't allow the user to install competing readers? For $300 or $350? I think there'd be mob scenes at stores.

My wife loves her Nook Color without the market and has adopted this technology faster than I've seen her pick up any technology (except perhaps the dishwasher). Reader, Browser, Facebook, e-Mail -- it's just fine for her.

Of course someone would root it eventually (they always do), but for 95% of the populace, it'd be just fine as is. And it'd be quite the wake-up call to Motorola, Asus, etc.

I think a lot of the plan-based strategy right now is to get the service providers to do the marketing and advertising for the hardware providers. Why would Verizon push a WiFi-only version? Simple answer: they wouldn't.

Just my 3?.

foetus

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
One correction... there are 4 hardware based buttons. Currently, they are power, the "N" on the front (Home button), and two volume buttons on the side. Most people just remap the volume to "Back" and "Menu" and have a software volume slider.

slimxwhitman

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Did you use the instructions on this page (the ones that are grayed out)?
http://forum.androidcentral.com/bar...oad-install-honeycomb-nook-color-sd-card.html

Just got my NOOKcolor today with an 8GB Class6 MicroSD and I'm ready for some fun.

My ultimate goal if to leave the internals stock (So the Wife can read at B&N) and run Honeycomb off the SD.

I am running internally, but thats the page I used but not the grayed out ones I don't think.. I did initially run my honeycomb install off of an SD. Those directions will work for you though..

fwdixon

Sep 24, 2010
Visit site
Is it possible to print anything from a nook color (or any android tablet for that matter)?

Also google has developed a cloud printing tech that will allow you to print to virtually any printer you choose (you have to set up the printer of course) from any where.

Oh, and if you look at the sig it will tell all. I'm pulling a 1670 quadrant atm.

Sent from my Honey Nook using Tapatalk

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
The NC sure is a bargain compared to the announced units. And even if one of these new tablets turns out to be fantastic enough to get me to buy one I would still keep the NC to use as a book reader.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pvagmailaccounts