netflix on linux

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
So awhile ago I saw an article floating around claiming that Chrome was getting a plug in for Linux that would enable watching Netflix. I don't see any new articles on this anymore and was wondering what had happened to said plug in.

Was it actually for Chrome OS instead of actually being for the browser? I think I remember seeing something where Chrome OS had something to watch Netflix. Anyone know about this/?

jdbower

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
Yes, it's so a Chromebook can play Netflix. Trivial modifications (changing the User Agent string, etc.) didn't allow it to work for on Linux either. In fact, I just noticed that it was pulled from my browser so it seems the Chrome store is segregating some apps.

Between intentionally disabling Linux support, price hikes, splitting the website between DVD and Instant, and losing Starz content I'd recommend looking at Amazon Prime videos. They don't have a bad selection of free stuff and they play just fine on Linux, Google TV or Android - but they desperately need a playlist/subscription feature and apps for Android/GTV. And it's $90/year which is $7.50/month - which includes free 2-day shipping on much of the store.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lbburns87