nextjeter2

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Hey I just switched to sprint and in my house I get 1 bar at max and half the time I am roaming. Is there a way I can set it to just roam cause I think it is hurting battery life struggling for service.

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Something else to consider. If you do end up putting your device on ROAM while at home Sprint will eventually see you racking up roaming calls and data usage and eventually terminate your contractract.
Perhaps you need to look for another carrier which provieds adequate coverage at your residence.

OR look at getting a signal booster from sprint. I think they are called airaves or something.
Wilson Electronics also makes in home BDAs, BiDirectional Amplifiers.
Just a few suggestions.

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
You need this...

Sprint AIRAVE?

If you CALL sprints 1800 number and complain they will send you one for FREE and get rid of ANY OTHER fees. I have one. I live in the middle of no where!

Try that out before leaving. Sprint is great when it comes to customer service in my opinion.

CarrieK

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Hi jeter,

Did the signal issues start recently or have you always had them? Do I recall correctly that you just received a replacement device? I am just wondering because your question coincides with the service /slow speeds reported with the 50580 PRL. When setting up the new device for you the Sprint rep may have applied that PRL. Sprint has just reverted back to 21081 so you may give that one a try by going through the same steps you did above. You didn't say what the PRL was before you updated but your speeds would have most likely been worse after doing the update when you did. This may improve your situation... Just another option! :D

If the PRL and profile updates do not help, politely but persistently contact Retentions and explain that you really would like to stay with Sprint but your speeds and reception just are not sufficient. When you are almost at the end of the 30 days, tell them that you are just going to have to switch carriers and since you will have a documented history they will most likely give you an Airrave. I have seen quite a few success stories on the forums. If, by chance Retentions will not help near the end of the 30 days then perhaps another carrier with better coverage in your area may be your best bet.

Good luck :)

Last edited:

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
Call and tell them your thinking about leaving Sprint for a new carrier. It worked for me. May just take a few times.

Yeah, when you call Sprint you get Customer Service they will try to make you happy but they don't give much away for free. If you tell them that you're leaving Sprint then they forward you to the Retentions department who's job it is to try and keep you. They like to give stuff away to keep customers.

They want to keep you, but they don't want you roaming all the time because it cost money so they will probably send you a free Airwave (which you connect to your broadband internet and it creates a 3G cell tower in your house). An Airwave plan is like $20 a month, but you don't want to pay and extra $20 a month just to have a cell signal. If you tell them that's not good enough then they will probably waive the monthly fee also. (several people on these forums have been able to get that deal).

Good luck.

Insp_Gadget

Inspector Gadget
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
forget it way to much work leaving sprint back to vow bionic

Well, you have options. Seems you've made up your mind to go back to Verizon. If that's what you want to do, good luck with that. I can understand not wanting to put up with weak signals. Reception varies for each carrier in different parts of the country. It's unfortunate that the U.S. carriers haven't blanketed the U.S. as well as European countries have done over there. Then the focus could be shifted to providing value instead of just "coverage".

Sprint provides good value, but they still have many locations that just don't provide good enough coverage to make that value worthwhile for some folks. A shame.

Last edited: