New Keyboards

bjordan

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
It's a paid app, huh? What's that amount translate to american dollars?

There's also a one week demo you can try.

http://www.appbrain.com/app/slideit-soft-keyboard/com.dasur.slideit.vt.lite

I tried SlideIT and just couldn't get used to it. There are things Swype handles much better.

The biggest thing for me was that it didn't have any symbols on the main keyboard so you couldn't long press. Also I like that with Swype I can Swype over symbols and it'll pick it up. for instance "We're". I couldn't do this with slideIT.

dekcufi

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
There's also a one week demo you can try.

SlideIT Soft Keyboard - Android app on AppBrain

I tried SlideIT and just couldn't get used to it. There are things Swype handles much better.

The biggest thing for me was that it didn't have any symbols on the main keyboard so you couldn't long press. Also I like that with Swype I can Swype over symbols and it'll pick it up. for instance "We're". I couldn't do this with slideIT.

it can not handle it when you can not get it.

Putting swype in you title area here is like calling the irs and saying your cheating on your taxes. Throws too many red flags.....

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I guess it comes down to why is swype available pre loaded on devices but not available yet in the market.
I wish I knew their reasoning, or if they would post in the forums about it.

Darth Mo

May 17, 2010
Visit site
yeah it's really steep.
I thought we would be at the 99 cent app mark but it seems every platform is moving to BB app pricing instead of stuff coming down.

I don't mind paying $5 - $10 for quality apps, but with so many keyboard choices, that one doesn't seem worth it.

I grabbed Swiftkey when it was ~$0.99 and couldn't be happier with it. I'm not sure if I would have tried it at $4 or whatever it is now.

Darth Mo

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I didn't care for swiftkey...wonder if we could get the slideIT dev to offer a special and all us android users buy it.

How long did you use Swiftkey? It takes a while for it to learn your typing style then it's really smooth. At first it can be a little rocky.

I found Swype to be unusable for things like typing an email for work. I use a lot of technical terms and names that Swype doesn't know, so then it's slow as molasses to have to type all the stuff in manually. Swiftkey can learn on the fly so it's a much better option for me. I wonder how SlideIT would fair. I imagine it would be similar to Swype in this situation.

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
How long did you use Swiftkey? It takes a while for it to learn your typing style then it's really smooth. At first it can be a little rocky.

I found Swype to be unusable for things like typing an email for work. I use a lot of technical terms and names that Swype doesn't know, so then it's slow as molasses to have to type all the stuff in manually. Swiftkey can learn on the fly so it's a much better option for me. I wonder how SlideIT would fair. I imagine it would be similar to Swype in this situation.

24 hrs :) to be honest. Probably would have bought it at 99 cents.

AnnDroid

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Google also just bought that keyboard BlindType, we'll see what happens there.

Might make Swype obsolete. I bet ya, then they'll offer it for sale.

Using SwiftKey for a week now, it's too slow, I can't get used to it, it can't get used to me. I miss Swype so damm much!

srfcrzy

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
So far, I'm pretty happy with SwiftKey. Not sure what others don't like about it...

You can activate the "Swype"-like function and use it, or not. It's better than Ultra Keyboard and looks a lot nicer than the Swype demo I tried.

AnnDroid

May 19, 2010
Visit site
I've been using SlideIT Free Demo for over a day, it's a substitute for Swype. not too bad at all really. Thanks for the suggestion.

PM-Performance

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I didnt like Swiftkey the few times I tried it in the past. Since the OTA happened the stock keyboard seems a little goofy so I am trying some other options again.
As much as I hate to fork out $4 for a keyboard, I bought swiftkey because it seems to work better for me now when I tried the Beta again.
Whats the diff between the beta and paid version? Just support?

2_hotty

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
I bought the full version of swiftkey, but uninstalled it today. I make way less mistakes with the stock keyboard. I miss Swype since the beta ran out.

sincityk9

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I like swype for the fun of it but way to many mistakes. SwiftKey takes a little getting used to but once you get the hang of it it's fast and accurate.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
saiid