new memory card for Note 9

james_1980

Oct 7, 2013
Visit site
Hello,

A couple of questions around replacing my current memory card with a new memory card.

Firstly, what is the maximum size my note 9 will take, and if I plan to get a note 10 (maybe around Black Friday) will that take the same?

Secondly, what is the process how to copy stuff from one memory card to another? Am I best off using a desktop computer and copying files from one to the other or is there a smarter way?

Do I just want to be copying the pictures and documents, or do I need to copy everything inc the system type folders? The current card is maybe 5 years old so may have trash from old phones on it.

Finally, do I need to format the new memory card into a particular format before copying the stuff over?

anon(10614692)

Jun 26, 2019
Visit site
Note 9 max SD card size is 512GB, note 10 is 1Tb

Copying via PC is the best option to transfer data

Just copy your data and leave it to the phone to do the rest

You will probably not need to format the card

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Any device that can handle a 512GB or 1TB card has a maximum of 2TB. (There are no 512GB or 1TB limits, those were just the maximum card sizes available to test the phones on when they were released.)

The card should be formatted as exFAT, so you don't have to do anything.

Be careful with copying, though. If you have a Windows PC, plug both cards in, and use xcopy (in a cmd window) to do the copying.

(If the cards mount as drives E: and F: - old one is E:, new one is F:)

xcopy e: f: /v /f /s /e /h /n /j

If the copy fails in the middle, just issue the command again adding the /z parameter, so it will pick up where it left off. (Copying a large USB device [that's how cards mount, even if you have a built-in card reader] often results in the USB chips overheating and the process failing in the middle.)

pizza_pablo

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Any device that can handle a 512GB or 1TB card has a maximum of 2TB. (There are no 512GB or 1TB limits, those were just the maximum card sizes available to test the phones on when they were released.)

Be careful with copying, though. If you have a Windows PC, plug both cards in, and use xcopy (in a cmd window) to do the copying.

If the copy fails in the middle, just issue the command again adding the /z parameter, so it will pick up where it left off. (Copying a large USB device [that's how cards mount, even if you have a built-in card reader] often results in the USB chips overheating and the process failing in the middle.)
Awesome details!
Thanks!

james_1980

Oct 7, 2013
Visit site

This is much appreciated. So just insert both cards in the computer, not with one in the phone, etc?