New Moto Z Play Owner Questions!

On2Vegas

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
The other reason I was considering the Incipio Mod was for the wireless charging. Anyone heard of any back plates with just QI charging but no battery?

That would awesome. Motorola/Lenovo has a $1 million contest going that they will award to a third party vendor for best new mod, so someone is probably working on it. 😀

What I also like about this contest is it probably shows a commitment to continue developing mods for awhile.

CRitter

May 26, 2011
Visit site
What I also like about this contest is it probably shows a commitment to continue developing mods for awhile.

More like desperation. They expected lots of folks to offer mods. They didn't. If they don't get some more innovative mods going to make Moto worthy, the concept will probably die. I have the projector and it's occasionally useful, but not a reason to buy the phone. The battery mod is useful if you have one of the other Moto models with smaller battery/higher power drain. That adds convenience compared to some external solution. When I got my Play it was BOGO, so got the battery as a conservative back-up in case something unexpected happens, like being stuck somewhere without ready access to power (BTDT). But I only got it because of BOGO. My old Morphie would do the trick, albeit not as elegantly.

nickname303

Dec 25, 2014
Visit site
That would awesome. Motorola/Lenovo has a $1 million contest going that they will award to a third party vendor for best new mod, so someone is probably working on it. 😀

Yeah, those were my thoughts too. Shows commitment to the concept and should also create more interest in it as well as showcasing potential mods for the future. I'm impressed with how Motorola is handling the modular system. LG must be watching with envy right now.

nickname303

Dec 25, 2014
Visit site
More like desperation. They expected lots of folks to offer mods. They didn't. If they don't get some more innovative mods going to make Moto worthy, the concept will probably die. I have the projector and it's occasionally useful, but not a reason to buy the phone. The battery mod is useful if you have one of the other Moto models with smaller battery/higher power drain. That adds convenience compared to some external solution. When I got my Play it was BOGO, so got the battery as a conservative back-up in case something unexpected happens, like being stuck somewhere without ready access to power (BTDT). But I only got it because of BOGO. My old Morphie would do the trick, albeit not as elegantly.

I guess desperation is a possibility, but I would have thought that they would have given it a bit more time than this before panicking personally. At the end of the day if they had only released the ones available at launch and then not made anymore or looked into any other possibilities, they would have received the same criticism for doing that as LG got. As far as I can see, the fact that they are looking to get people involved and extend the range is a good thing, and maybe actually shows that Motorola are quietly confident that they can make it a success. LG failed miserably with their attempt at modularity so they didn't bother making any more. If rumours are to be believed LG may well be giving up on the modular concept altogether already. So as I say, Motorola may actually think theyre onto a good thing and are therefore following up on it, rather than be feeling desperate. Who knows? Time will tell.

AllenRulz

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
I agree this phone is amazing with battery life.
Agreed. I go out and as corny as it is, I show and express how many days of battery life I reach because they complain about theirs. Last night at the bar I was almost to day 4 with no charge. I absolutely love this phone and definitely promoting the hell out of it for more business to Moto and Lenovo

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xak47d