New music loaded to device will not play

Gary Holeman

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
I've read LOTS of posts on multiple sites trying to figure this out. I have a SII skyrocket running Android 4.1.2. I'm not a big music listener, but I had transferred music to the phone a while back. I'm quite sure I've not transferred any music to the device since upgrading the OS. Any music I already had there can be played using any of the player apps I have. Any new music file I transfer to it cannot be played. It doesn't matter which music file format (MP3, WAV, M4A, you name it); it doesn't matter which storage location (internal or new 32 GB SD card); it does not matter how I transfer the files (Kies app or directly with Windows File Explorer and USB connection. And even using File Explorer, I can copy a working music file to another folder and then the copy will not play. Any of the files that I transfer CAN be played by Windows Media Player directly off the phone, so the files are not corrupt. I've tried lots of suggestions (removed Twitter app, rescan media, turn on USB troubleshooting in developer options) to no avail. I have NOT reformatted the new SD card. I've used this phone for a couple of years without an SD card. But files I copy over do not play even if they are copied to the internal storage, so I don't see a reason to reformat the SD card. ANY IDEAS? :(

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
See what happens if you clear the data from Google Music. Go to Settings/Apps/All, scroll down and select Google Music, then tap Clear Data. When you open Google Music again, it should scan your internal storage and external SD card for music files and repopulate the list. Give it some time if your library is large.