New Owner a few Qs

jerrysimon

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
Well I have been out the tablet market a while having purchased my first 10" Advent Vega in 2010.

It wasn't a bad tablet. I rooted and upgraded it but mostly it sat in my sitting room displaying photos and was picked up for surfing the web or playing angry birds. Its still there but using it now seems very sluggish having now owned a new phone that has a much better touch sensitive screen.

Anyway I decided that although I use my phone on the move I really wanted something a bit bigger and was drawn to the Nexus 7. I did try one of the first generation ones and I liked it but moved on. Anyway after trying the new 2013 model I am really impressed and am picking it up from Tesco tomorrow having used some rewards vouchers and a discount voucher to get the 32GB model. I could not decide about the 16 or 32GB version but after checking all my photos and music realised I would be safer with the 32GB version.

So I plan to use it for

1. A more pleasant surfing experience (my android phone too small) on the go/whilst away from home either on WiFi or using my mobiles hot spot. The 10" tablets are just not portable enough for me.
2. Move all my photos and music onto it, though I should probably put my music on my HTC phone ?
3. Would like to dabble in a few games with that lovely screen
4. Watching on line video content like youtube, iplayer and maybe even films and tv series I have etc
5. Checking email accounts etc

The only other model I was tempted by was the Galaxy Tab 3 8" but again thought maybe it was too big.

Anyway I hope this thing works out. I have been into a shop and played with one and the screen is simply stunning. In terms of extra storage I was looking at one of the new small options like the microsd 64G. I think there is another small one just come out rather than a cable etc ? Am I correct in thinking that these work with the latest Android release ? I know before there had been problems from what I read.

Also wondering about charging, stand and cover options but I guess I should do a search here :)

Regards

Jerry

y2whisper

Trusted Member
Apr 15, 2010
Visit site
First off congrats!

Yes you assume correctly about the capabilities of this device. One exception there isn't a microsd card slot on it. you will need an OTG cable to plug in a usb drive and would also need an app to interface. Which app? depends on whether or not you want to root your device.

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Am I correct in thinking that these work with the latest Android release ? I know before there had been problems from what I read.

The Nexus 7 is on 4.4.2, which is the latest release. It generally gets any new updates within a couple weeks of their release, often within days.

Also wondering about charging, stand and cover options but I guess I should do a search here :)

It depends on your needs, but I have and really like the Poetic Slimline. It's one of the most popular, nice quality, very affordable (Amazon), and available in different colors/designs.

Fdmstng99

Dec 3, 2013
Visit site
Nice choice getting the N7. I never thought I would be a tablet user so a 10 inch tablet woukldn't appeal to me but the size of the N7 is perfect, plus the screen is just amazing.

jerrysimon

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
Well its been in my hands for about 25 hours now. Thoughts so far

1. The screen is simply stunning which means I can read web pages when in landscape mode even thought it only 7"
2. Its nice and slim and very light. Will make it easy to hold and easy to take with me on the go
3. Tethered to my phone works great again good for when I am on the move.
4. Videos and pictures are flawless
5. Rear camera not bad
6. The last version of android I used was 2.2 getting use to the latest version and keep finding some good features.
7. Its flawless in terms of swiping, touch etc
8. I find the power button a little hard to press is kinda on the side but round the back.

Over all I am really impressed and I think its a keeper. Still playing around with setup options and lots of features are hidden but plenty of info on the web. Treated myself to one of these

GENUINE INVENTCASE? NEXUS 7 FHD 2 2013 BLACK LEATHER SMART CASE COVER STAND | eBay

At that cost its worth trying over the ASUS equivalent one at 3 and 1/2 times the price.

I tried the Miracast option using the Netgear Push2TV. Its ok but clearly the tech is still in its infancy so I will take the expensive unit back and wait mirroring to be supported for the unit on Chromecast.

Still need to load and try some games :)

Regards

Jerry

jerrysimon

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
Strange my post has to be approved first ?

D*** i think I lost my post :(

Will have to retype it again later :(

Ps It posted strange it got sent for approval first maybe I triggered a spam filter ?

Jerry

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cloudsofmana