New to rooting, have questions first

TBolt55

Jun 9, 2011
Visit site
Hello all, Im new to rooting and the idea greatly intrigues me seeing as it brings many benefits. I contemplated root way back in March when the phone came out but it was still too far over my head to understand so I waited. It seems now that easier methods have come out and with a little bit of research the revolutionary method that does not wipe your data seems easy enough for me to handle, plus there's a great video of how to do it on youtube. Some of the questions Im wondering though are the following:

1. How much greatly can this improve my battery life? This was the initial reason I wanted to root back in March but I gave it time and it improved, but lately it has taken a turn back in the wrong direction and with no reason that I can find why to explain it. (I've rebooted and used system panel etc, but still cant find anything out of the ordinary, it's just when I take it off wifi the battery seems to tank lately with only moderate use and with a long schedule starting ahead of me I know I'll need all the juice I can get)

2. How easy is it to remove the bloat? This is one thing I'm looking forward to, I want the crapware especially blockbuster gone

3. Is the rumor I heard true that after the gingerbread update the phone will no longer be rootable?

4. If the above rumor is not true should I just wait for official GB and than root?

5. What initial steps if any do I need to take before rooting, do I need titanium backup or anything or will the revolutionary method take care of this for me?

6. Do any of the roms choices leave the sense theme, I enjoy the sense experience and would like to keep it.

7. Any suggestions on good battery kernels rom combos ect. would be greatly appreciated

I thank anyone that helps with answers and can offer any good guidance.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Regarding your second question, there's no real way to be sure. We do know that the original method of obtaining root WILL NOT work once the GB update is applied. There is a new method that many folks are having success with though that very well may still work after the GB udpate, assuming they don't patch the exploit used.
Revolutionary
(I have not used it, so I can't really make a recommendation based on my own experience)

Also, check out my FAQ on rooting if you're interested.
http://forums.androidcentral.com/th.../103522-faq-should-i-root-my-thunderbolt.html

Reactions: TBolt55

TBolt55

Jun 9, 2011
Visit site
So I decided to go ahead and root because the fact that they may patch the exploit in the GB update had me worried. Since this is my first android phone I wanted to experience everything I can, and now I can by being rooted. I was apprehensive at first but sometimes trial by fire helps you learn and it did for me in this experience. Anyways I used the Revolutionary method mentioned above and it was quick and easy, gave me S-off in no time and root shortly after. If anyone else reading this is like me and wants to root but is apprehensive about it this method makes it quick and easy, and if you need it the link to the video is right below

How to Root - HTC Thunderbolt (No Data Wipe! Newest & Fastest) - YouTube

Anyways now onto looking for Roms and Kernels, any suggestions for a good GB build with improved battery life?

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
Everyone wants or sees different things in different ROM... Sense, or AOSP... check out the list by clicking on my signature below... Das BAMF and Gingeritis are the two more popular Sense ROMs... CM7 and Liquid Thunderbread are two of the more popular AOSP ROMs.... or at least the ROMs I have checked out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech