New Update

nickdeck

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Got it here, too. Maybe I'm missing something, but my screen still times out after 7 seconds, regardless of what I set it on.

bdtnrp

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I just got the update - went through and set watch to 5 minute display timeout. Turned watch off and back on to reboot and it still only stays on for 7 seconds when I bring it up to look at. Frustrating!!

Update - if I press the home/back button while bringing up to look at, it will stay on. HOWEVER, as soon as I rest my arm, the display goes off. Not at all what I was hoping for. I want it to stay on for 5 minutes even if I look away no matter what!!

nickdeck

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
I just got the update - went through and set watch to 5 minute display timeout. Turned watch off and back on to reboot and it still only stays on for 7 seconds when I bring it up to look at. Frustrating!!

Update - if I press the home/back button while bringing up to look at, it will stay on. HOWEVER, as soon as I rest my arm, the display goes off. Not at all what I was hoping for. I want it to stay on for 5 minutes even if I look away no matter what!!

Exactly what I'm seeing. So, let's say I need to time some event or activity for one minute. Unless I push the button to activate the screen and hold the watch steadily in viewing position while doing the timing, the screen goes off in 7 seconds.

Once again, the S2 fails as a basic wrist watch. Guess you'll need to activate the stopwatch for that sort of thing.

bdtnrp

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Believe this update to be only for the non-3G versions (Sport & Classic) that have not seen any updates since last November. The 3G versions were getting updates in January from what I recall.

nickdeck

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
One good thing I found with the update is that the Special Edition watch face includes hour tick marks on the ambient face.

bdtnrp

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Another finding - I have Display Timeout set to 5 minutes, Gestures turned OFF and Always on set to ON. What I am finding is that if I move the watch to look at it (gesture), it comes on and will stay on for 5 minutes then turn off. Although completely bass akwards of what I would have thought, it is doing close to what I want. I am open to hearing what others are seeing. Thanks.

Update: This was noticed, while NOT on my wrist, had it sitting on a desk and would see it go off after 5 minutes but could get it going again by shaking. On my wrist, it is hard to tell, as I'm moving around to much.

Last edited:

nickdeck

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Another finding - I have Display Timeout set to 5 minutes, Gestures turned OFF and Always on set to ON. What I am finding is that if I move the watch to look at it (gesture), it comes on and will stay on for 5 minutes then turn off. Although completely bass akwards of what I would have thought, it is doing close to what I want. I am open to hearing what others are seeing. Thanks.

Ah, good find. I see what you mean about *** backwards, but I see what they're doing: Having gestures ON uses more battery because random movement turns the watch face on. So, they're saying you can have longer timeout options, but only if you sacrifice the wake up gesture option.

nickdeck

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
But, I see that the old always on behavior is still a misnomer. If you don't move the watch at all for a certain amount of time, the screen goes completely dark and you have to touch the watch to fire it up again. Boo.

nickdeck

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Anybody in the Midwest get this update?

Posted via the Android Central App

Yup, I'm in Missouri. It wasn't automatic, though. Had to go to settings in the Gear app on the phone app and ask for it there. Took a couple of tries, as I guess the servers were pretty busy.

Is your watch non-3G?

audri5

Mar 28, 2014
Visit site
I've tried over and over. Haven't gotten it yet. Keeps saying I'm up to date.

A0425A

Nov 28, 2013
Visit site
Yup, I'm in Missouri. It wasn't automatic, though. Had to go to settings in the Gear app on the phone app and ask for it there. Took a couple of tries, as I guess the servers were pretty busy.

Is your watch non-3G?
+1. I had to initiate a update check.

audri5

Mar 28, 2014
Visit site
No. I thought this was the update that will give us setting changes for timeouts and the orange dot notifications. I'm T-Mobile 3g version.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MansiDaware