New VOIP option for GV - single app solution: GrooVe IP

scootincivic

Feb 16, 2011
civicscootin.3utilities.com
What's with all the harsh remarks?..

The GrooVe team has been the most loyal deva's I have known with in the market..

Hell I have even posted in the past that I stoled the app & the team never found fault..
They even fixed a few bugs I (we) where having on the V..
That alone was the only reason why I paid for this app..

For those that don't care for GrooVe check out Csipsimple our other VoIP means..
However GrooVe truly is the easiest app to use for VoIP calling..

In short to all the ones dishing out all the "beta" hate do some research on alternatives before posting complaints toward the GrooVe team (let alone any other app for that matter)..

TO THE GROOVE TEAM
Still having the reregister issue while on wifi while the 3g switch is off & 2g is trying to connect..
In short the icon switches from green to red (& back and fourth) while on wifi when a cell connection is trying to be established..
Only happens on 2g..
Icon stays red once 3g is found as it should..

Keep up the great work team!..
Any ETA on the next update & what's included?

Also the team may want to make a legit thread at XDA (with in the app & game section) as you all may get further help on your program there..

Sent from my Optimus V vai Tapatalk

Last edited:

snrb_labs

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
What's with all the harsh remarks?..

The GrooVe team has been the most loyal deva's I have known with in the market..

Hell I have even posted in the past that I stoled the app & the team never found fault..
They even fixed a few bugs I (we) where having on the V..
That alone was the only reason why I paid for this app..

For those that don't care for GrooVe check out Csipsimple our other VoIP means..
However GrooVe truly is the easiest app to use for VoIP calling..

In short to all the ones dishing out all the "beta" hate do some research on alternatives before posting complaints toward the GrooVe team (let alone any other app for that matter)..

TO THE GROOVE TEAM
Still having the reregister issue while on wifi while the 3g switch is off & 2g is trying to connect..
In short the icon switches from green to red (& back and fourth) while on wifi when a cell connection is trying to be established..
Only happens on 2g..
Icon stays red once 3g is found as it should..

Keep up the great work team!..
Any ETA on the next update & what's included?

Also the team may want to make a legit thread at XDA (with in the app & game section) as you all may get further help on your program there..

Sent from my Optimus V vai Tapatalk

Amazon still hasn't posted the 1.1.4 update. We're hesitant to post another update and have them fall very far behind. So far in the new update we've got

- UI enhancements for tablet and large screens
- Allow rotation to landscape
- Fix a bug where bluetooth would reset to off if you toggled it on before a call was answered/connected
- Split the settings into different screens to clean things up a bit
- Support a physical call button in the dialer and incoming call screens
- Show contact pictures in the contact menu
- Add a quick scroll bar to the contact menu
- At hangup show the call time
- Change registration logic so re-sign in only happens if your IP has changed
- Add a sign in/sign out button so you don't have to restart the app if it gets disconnected
- Change "registration" to "sign in"
- Add a troubleshooting checkbox for tablets that can't play "voice" on their speakers, it has to be played as "music"

GeekOutDog

Apr 22, 2011
Visit site
Just purchased. Not thrilled with it over 3G in my house, will test friday at work where the reception is significantly stronger. Haven't tried WiFi yet, because frankly any place I am frequently at that has WiFi is someplace I would just use a landline to call if I'm trying to save minutes... VoIP on 3G is the primary reason for having purchased this...

Anyone figure out the ideal settings on the Optimus V?

mmarz

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Just purchased. Not thrilled with it over 3G in my house, will test friday at work where the reception is significantly stronger. Haven't tried WiFi yet, because frankly any place I am frequently at that has WiFi is someplace I would just use a landline to call if I'm trying to save minutes... VoIP on 3G is the primary reason for having purchased this...

Anyone figure out the ideal settings on the Optimus V?

The default settings work great on the V. Voice quality is directly related to 3G strength. I have had perfect calls over 3G. It is not just about reception. When the network is congested, speeds tend to be throttled down by Sprint/VM. Over Wifi it has been as reliable as GV through my laptop.

nemirn

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
SWYPE usually does not work on my phone.
Every time my phone goes to sleep, I have to go into settings and enable swype, and then select in with "input method" within a text.
It also FC's unexpectedly.

That's why it's BETA. You're just lucky.

phreak311

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
I installed Groove IP on my girlfriend's Optimus V and it is awesome! My only question is, Do you have to have Google Voice installed on your phone as well?

radiotecha1234

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
That's ridiculous

Amazon still hasn't posted the 1.1.4 update. We're hesitant to post another update and have them fall very far behind. So far in the new update we've got

- UI enhancements for tablet and large screens
- Allow rotation to landscape
- Fix a bug where bluetooth would reset to off if you toggled it on before a call was answered/connected
- Split the settings into different screens to clean things up a bit
- Support a physical call button in the dialer and incoming call screens
- Show contact pictures in the contact menu
- Add a quick scroll bar to the contact menu
- At hangup show the call time
- Change registration logic so re-sign in only happens if your IP has changed
- Add a sign in/sign out button so you don't have to restart the app if it gets disconnected
- Change "registration" to "sign in"
- Add a troubleshooting checkbox for tablets that can't play "voice" on their speakers, it has to be played as "music"

I see. So, since some third party app store can't get with the program the rest of us have to suffer waiting for updates indefinitely.= Fail.
The point I was making earlier is that the program randomly changes from red to green in the status bar for no good reason. I never use wifi and am in the same place for about 4 hours at a time. But, every once in a while when I turn on the phone the Groove IP icon in the status bar is red. So, does this mean I could miss a call. I think so. So, therefore it is unreliable. When people charge money for something it comes with some expectations. No charge, no complaints. I can't get my money back but I can sure point out that the program has flaws. I think that is only fair.

mmarz

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I see. So, since some third party app store can't get with the program the rest of us have to suffer waiting for updates indefinitely.= Fail.
The point I was making earlier is that the program randomly changes from red to green in the status bar for no good reason. I never use wifi and am in the same place for about 4 hours at a time. But, every once in a while when I turn on the phone the Groove IP icon in the status bar is red. So, does this mean I could miss a call. I think so. So, therefore it is unreliable. When people charge money for something it comes with some expectations. No charge, no complaints. I can't get my money back but I can sure point out that the program has flaws. I think that is only fair.

It sounds as though your internet connection is unreliable. The icon is merely informing you that GrooveIP can't login. It has no control over that.

snrb_labs

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site

Hi,

Yes, we're bound by an agreement we signed with Amazon. So we have to wait before pushing updates. However the time isn't wasted, we spend the time testing and adding more fixes and features.

Bukzin

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
Nice work so far. Really think you are on to something with Groove IP.

By the way, I think it was very smart to NOT offer the free version.
Sorting out the upgrades and issues is a big enough challenge to start.

You will really be overloaded if/when you roll out a free/sample version!
Good business plan.

DJ-VAN

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
Was using csipsimple for the longest but pbxes has random downtimes so I decided to buy this app.

I'm on a dell streak 5 and just upgraded to GingerStreak because I thought the built in sip dialer would eliminate the echo- but it doesn't.

Anyway there seems to be a major bug in that this app doesn't work with Google Apps.

I can make calls but I can't receive calls. I have Google Voice tied to an account on Google Apps- so my user name is myname@mydomain.com. I just tested the app with another google account with google voice- one @gmail and I receive calls just fine.

I hope this gets fixed in the next update because I can't really use it otherwise. Also I only upgraded my streak to Gingerbread for the new audio routing api but that doesn't really fix the echo issue (it does for some manufacturers that implement it correctly):

Issue 119 - csipsimple - callee receives alot of echo on 1/2 of all calls - SIP application for Android devices - Google Project Hosting
or
Issue 119 - csipsimple - callee receives alot of echo on 1/2 of all calls - SIP application for Android devices - Google Project Hosting

To sum up my issues are:
Can't receive calls on my Google Apps account but I can make calls.
I don't hear an echo but the other party hears themselves when they talk (I guess this could be fixed with a software driven echo canceler)
The dialer looks small on tablets (was reading that this would be fixed in the next update whenever Amazon catches up to Android Market)
I'm one of those users that has to keep the screen awake on a call. Would be nice if the screen could dim to use less battery but still be on to keep the wifi locked I guess. Also a lock screen button so that my face doesn't press keys.

Edit:
Seems that Google Apps accounts do work. Even with wifi set to never sleep when the screen turns off the app disconnects and that is the issue. It doesn't seem to work reliably on wifi...

Last edited:

charles2859

May 16, 2011
Visit site
Nice work on this one. A bit of delay via 3G but is understandable. Interface is clean and transparent to the default mobile dialer.
It would be great to have the two following features:
1) Instead of the 3 options (all GrooVe IP, Mobile and choose), it would be good to have an automatic fallback feature. So one can choose GrooVe IP as primary and then automatically falls back to Mobile when the 3G (especially for Virgin Mobile) or WiFi is not available, or vise versa.
2) Manual connect/disconnect -- more like a reset/restart app when it can not connect to Google server automatically.

snrb_labs

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
Was using csipsimple for the longest but pbxes has random downtimes so I decided to buy this app.

I'm on a dell streak 5 and just upgraded to GingerStreak because I thought the built in sip dialer would eliminate the echo- but it doesn't.

Anyway there seems to be a major bug in that this app doesn't work with Google Apps.

I can make calls but I can't receive calls. I have Google Voice tied to an account on Google Apps- so my user name is myname@mydomain.com. I just tested the app with another google account with google voice- one @gmail and I receive calls just fine.

I hope this gets fixed in the next update because I can't really use it otherwise. Also I only upgraded my streak to Gingerbread for the new audio routing api but that doesn't really fix the echo issue (it does for some manufacturers that implement it correctly):

or

To sum up my issues are:
Can't receive calls on my Google Apps account but I can make calls.
I don't hear an echo but the other party hears themselves when they talk (I guess this could be fixed with a software driven echo canceler)
The dialer looks small on tablets (was reading that this would be fixed in the next update whenever Amazon catches up to Android Market)
I'm one of those users that has to keep the screen awake on a call. Would be nice if the screen could dim to use less battery but still be on to keep the wifi locked I guess. Also a lock screen button so that my face doesn't press keys.

Edit:
Seems that Google Apps accounts do work. Even with wifi set to never sleep when the screen turns off the app disconnects and that is the issue. It doesn't seem to work reliably on wifi...

We've found a lot of devices don't respect the setting to keep wifi alive even when the screen is off. It looks like that is the issue you're running into. Especially if you have to keep the screen alive during calls. Custom roms can fix the problem because they load different wifi drivers. Or there are a few apps on the market that claim to fix it, however I believe some of them require a 3G data connection.

For echo, we are working on integrating an echo canceler. And also a screen lock as you mention above.

DJ-VAN

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
Is there anyway to create a partial wake option for this app?

I can't seem to receive calls with it. If there was a way to force the app on and keep the cpu at a low level to keep the wifi on? Or just on long enough to keep the registration active.

I'm having this issue with csipsimple- but I'd rather use your app since the ring time is longer than when using the gtalk sip trunk with pbxes.

StreakDroid 2.0.0 (AKA GingerStreak) - Page 35 - xda-developers

charles2859

May 16, 2011
Visit site
Excellent app. Used it via 3G for the past 2 days. Lost connection twice but are likely due to Virgin mobile's 3G stability.

Suggestion: Instead of All GrooVe, All Mobile or Choose on demand, it would be great to have an auto fallback feature. With the "questionable" Virgin 3G data stability, it would be great if the program can auto switch to mobile when 3G or WiFi is not available.

g3max

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys,

Purchased and installed Groove IP on my LG Optimus V (unrooted and stock rom). Got Groove IP to work on WiFi but not on 3G. Am I doing something wrong? Your help is most appreciated.

Thanks

g3max

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Just updated to Groove IP 1.1.5 with LG Optimus V running on unrooted stock Android version 2.2., kernel version 2.6.32.9. When it was on Groove IP 1.1.4, it won't sign in on 3G but it will sign in on WiFi. The app worked reasonably well on WiFi with a one instance when the farend voice was choppy and stuttering. I believe the problem was on my end because at that time my DSL service with AT&T slowed to a crawl. After I rebooted my modem and my router, I did not experience the choppiness and stuttering from the farend voice.

With Groove IP 1.1.5, I am now able to sign in when I am on 3G but somehow I am unintelligible to the other party when making a voice call on 3G. I was told that they cannot hear me. I made adjustments like turning the mike gain all the way up but this too did not make a difference to the quality of the call. I, then, turned on the Outgoing Audio Processing but this toggle did not make a difference to the call quality.

I have not tested the app with regards to receiving voice calls thru Groove IP on 3G. I will gladly be your tester if you want. Just let me know. I like the app and I really want to make this work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JMY2024