Nexus 4: 70% battery drain overnight, wake up and phone is dead

desertUsuf

Mar 31, 2014
Visit site
Hi all,

This has happened a few times now. I'm on Android 4.4.2 on my Nexus 4.
h0WgNMV.png

Look at this graph, what the deuce is going on here?! Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Re: 70% battery drain overnight, wake up and phone is dead

Go back one screen (Settings -> Battery) where you should find a list of apps and OS tools which are consuming your battery listed by percent usage.

What are the first five or six items in the list?

desertUsuf

Mar 31, 2014
Visit site

Ok, here it is as of a few minutes ago. As you can see the major culprit is the Screen, which makes sense because I run it on High all day, but I don't think it explains what happened overnight, since the screen was off.
HD2TxA0.png

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site

Ok, here it is as of a few minutes ago. As you can see the major culprit is the Screen, which makes sense because I run it on High all day, but I don't think it explains what happened overnight, since the screen was off.

Exactly; that's why the next time this happens you want to go to this screen and see what was eating your battery.

I have had occasional similar issues and always traced it to the Mail app and my corporate Exchange account. Somehow the app gets stuck in an infinite sync loop and consumes tons of battery (not to mention tons of data...).

PS: Battery stats get reset after a full charge. So, always check the stats prior to recharging if at all possible.

desertUsuf

Mar 31, 2014
Visit site

Ah ok thanks for the info. I'll definitely look at the battery log right after the drainage next time.

JohnBB101

Jun 20, 2013
Visit site

Are you completely stock? There might be a wakelock holding your phone. BetterBatteryStats can help you identify these wakelocks.

I did face similar problems (not a 70% drop though, you can check out my thread here)

Also, it's generally bad practice to use your phone heavily while it's charging as it messes up the voltage readings from the battery, which in turn displays the wrong percentage of charge, that could explain such a drastic drop.

gusar2000

Jun 4, 2013
Visit site
Also, android OS should not be the second biggest consumer. In my case it didn't allow my phone to sleep. Restart returned OS consumption to normal. Some glitch there too.

Posted via Android Central App

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site

View attachment 110274

Correct, it doesn't explain what happened overnight. There may have been some sort of wake lock, possibly due to an App trying to update or fetch for data. Keep an eye on your apps and what seems too be consuming battery.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app