-------Nexus 4 Battery Life (Horrible, Major drainage!)-------

Dramer77

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
Lithium batteries don't need to be drained and don't mind being charged often for short periods of time.
thats SUPPOSE to be true, but your also forgetting that the charge cycles also effect the OS.. you will get much better batt life and battery managment if you dont do alot of burst charges

clove#AC

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
My Nexus 4 battery life was so bad out of the box that I went back to my Galaxy Nexus and have been running tests for the past few days on my Nexus 4 while I wait for a reply from Google support. I know something is defective with my unit and I'm wondering if there is some sort of quality control issue causing others to pull their hair out over this.

I've run a series of tests starting with a full charge and doing 5 hour discharges under different configurations. I have the N4 factory reset with nothing but stock apps running plus GSam Battery Monitor. The best number I could get is 46% battery remaining after 5 hours--this is idle time with the screen off the entire time. (Meanwhile my Galaxy Nexus shows 97% after 5 hours, fully loaded with apps.)

Under very light usage, the battery is totally drained in about 6 hours. Not normal.

severinj

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
I haven't received my Nexus 4 yet, but I still have my HTC G2. While it is a total pile nowadays, it still gets decent battery life and it is only 1300mah.

I believe the reason I get such good battery life is like someone else mentioned; I only keep it at about 15-20% screen brightness. I work in an office that isn't too bright, and when it's night time the screen is still bright as ever. I have facebook and twitter set to auto sync as well. I believe auto brightness will use more power than a static setting, because it's always trying to adjust.

Go Ogle

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
my battery life is horrible too. not sure whats wrong. i had auto brightness on and a lot of things on auto sync. after unplugging from a full charge. i sent 3 texts and was at 88%.

i unsynced a lot of crap. only have 4 screens now. mostly black wallpaper. went to the lowest possible brightness. so we will see what changes, if anything. its really starting to piss me off though. it seems to take longer than should be normal to charge too.

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Another thing, notice how your blue bar under the main battery stats is solid? Mine is all cut up. Should that be a concern?

A huge difference to me between the OP's usage and Freshly_Snipes is that the OP NEVER used wifi and Freshly was on wifi all day. I get 16 hours or so with around 3 hours on screen time but I am using wifi whenever its available and I have my screen on the lowest brightness unless I am outdoors (then its on Auto).

The solid blue bar is wifi signal. As jman noted, that's one reason the other poster's battery life is better than yours, OP. Keep an eye on the battery and see how it changes over the next week of use. Everyone complains about phone battery life early on, even for the iPhone (unless you've got a Razr Maxx).

Exergy

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I would say all the playing and the immature battery are the main problems. With time, the battery will have more life.

stiawdftw

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
thats SUPPOSE to be true, but your also forgetting that the charge cycles also effect the OS.. you will get much better batt life and battery managment if you dont do alot of burst charges

I don't fully understand what you mean I just know Lithium batteries are quite a bit different than older style rechargeable's.

stiawdftw

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
I guess I should contribute to the thread. 5 hours since charge with moderate texting (20 or so sent/received) and some internet browsing and other random things. Auto brightness turned off and location services turned off. I also use app killer and its set to every 30 minutes. Connected to Telus LTE network as well. I still have 73% remaining. I had the expandable 2000mah battery from samsung for my gnex and the N4 battery lasts longer for sure. The original battery in the gnex was horrible compared to the N4. I think people are just overusing the phone because its new.

Spiderman13

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
Reading all the reply's is like dejavue from the Gnex.

Buy an expensive phone with top of the line features but turn off all those features in order to be able to use the phone for more than 4 hours.

MANdroidd

Banned
Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Hmmm whenever i get a new phone im always playing with it so it seems to drain quicker than normal. give it some more time and if its still draining like that i feel like somethings wrong... my battery isnt great but its not that bad

J T M

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
I can only sit back and laugh at people complaining about having 'only' 3 - 4 hours of screen-on time with their N4. On a good day with my VZW GNex running on 3G for about 80% of the day, i'm lucky if i can squeeze out one hour of screen-on time, and that's with an extended battery.

Something tells me i'm going to be a very, very happy guy when my N4 gets delivered in the next week or two. :)

Freshly_Snipes

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Screenshot_2012-11-28-20-37-09.png

4hrs screen on time right now. Oak what you guys got going on but maybe you're particular devices are defective because as I said earlier, it's not common.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

ryanr509

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I can only sit back and laugh at people complaining about having 'only' 3 - 4 hours of screen-on time with their N4. On a good day with my VZW GNex running on 3G for about 80% of the day, i'm lucky if i can squeeze out one hour of screen-on time, and that's with an extended battery.

Something tells me i'm going to be a very, very happy guy when my N4 gets delivered in the next week or two. :)

Damn on my gnex on straight talk i could usually get 2.5hrs or so screen on time. Ya like I said to Me anywhere from 2.5-3.5hrs screen on time is average over my last 5 android devices. so unless I got a razr maxx I'd be expecting my screen on time between 2.5-3.5hrs. Some ppl might use 3 hours on screen in the first 6 hours of the phone being unplugedd and someone else it might take them 12 hours of being unplugged to get the 3 hours screen on time. Doesn't mean u are getting worse battery life just means u use ur phone a hell of a lot more than the other guy does

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Android Central Forums

Ricky2009

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
uploadfromtaptalk1354155018124.jpg
Only 2.5hrs screen on today but I can usually get about 4 the battery is just a bit lower obviously
Sent from my Nexus 4

swarlos

Trusted Member
Mar 8, 2010
Visit site

Agreed. With my GNex I could barely squeeze out 2 hours of on screen time that's even with being on Wi-Fi 8-9 hours a day at work then on LTE. I crack flashed the crap out of my phone trying to find a perfect Rom/Kernel combo to maximize but to no avail.

Not to deter you OP from keeping your Nexus 4 cause I've been tempted to get one but unfortunate circumstances prevent that. But I have an iPhone 5 now and the time it takes to drop from 100% to 99% is freaking amazing for example it took 4 1/2 hours to drop that one percent albeit it was on Wi-Fi for the first 3 but that last hour and a half was on LTE and I streamed a full album and used Foursquare constantly while running errands. Comparatively as soon as I took my GNex off the charger it would instantly drop to 98-97% that always annoyed me.

I do agree with the other posters though you either have a lemon or just need to use it for a week and keep an eye on it.

navedoperez

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I know what you guys mean. My first day with the n4 was absolutely terrible. I took my phone off the charger at 6:45AM and the battery was dead at 1PM. So that night I installed Juice Defender, NQ Android Booster, and Autokiller and my battery lasts longer now.

Try those apps. Also one of my friends got Juice Defender Ultimate ($5 version) and he tells me he gets a day and a half without charging. I'm contemplating on buying that but I will test my current setup a little more. So far I'm pretty satisfied.

Also, it's good to note that the apps I downloaded are all free. So definitely give them a shot.

ssgmun5000

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
Well from what I see here is better than I get with the Gnex. I hit 10 hours of light usage and was down to 4%. Yeah that is really sucky.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nickjoe